is it legal to carry pepper spray in MD?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Pushrod

Master Blaster
    Aug 8, 2007
    WV High Country
    Coming onto base I was randomly flagged for a vehicle search. My wife regularly uses my car and keeps a small canister of pepper spray in the center console. So security is tearing apart the inside of my car while they have me and my boss (who had went to lunch with me) standing off to the side and they find the pepper spray. I had honestly forgotten it was even in there when they held it up like a prized treasure. It was like they found a bomb. They made a call on the radio and base security vehicles come flying in with lights and sirens going. I thought 'Oh shit, I'm going to get butt raped over this!' I knew they were legal in Maryland but wasn't so sure on a DOD installation.

Anyway, to make a long story short, they had the duty OOD come down. He took one look at the little canister of spray, looked googley-eyed at the base security and base police, apologized to me for any inconvenience, handed me the spray and sent us on our way.
    I was sweating bullets up until that point as I wasn't sure if they would consider that a prohibited weapon. Obviously they don't, but it showed me how easily a person could get caught up in the criminal justice system without any criminal intent.

rickyp

Ultimate Member
    Sep 13, 2009

MLO9

Jun 26, 2014
    Montgomery County
    Should have checked here first but found the thread via Google search.
    Thinking about getting Kimber Pepper Blaster 2 for my daughters in college.
    College campuses are cool but off campus is a little sketchy.

According to Kimber, the PB2 has a longer shelf life and not subject to problems sitting in a hot car. They make this claim due to the fact there is no aerosol.

That said, the shape is similar to a Derringer pistol. It looks like a water squirt gun but pistol shaped nonetheless.

Anything use this in MD?
    Any thoughts on what LEO would do if they happen to see you with one?

Thanks in advance.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA

According to Kimber, the PB2 has a longer shelf life and not subject to problems sitting in a hot car. They make this claim due to the fact there is no aerosol.

That said, the shape is similar to a Derringer pistol. It looks like a water squirt gun but pistol shaped nonetheless.

Anything use this in MD?

Thanks in advance.

Not a fan, not a lot of support from instructors either, the size, cost(especially to practice with), 2 shots only, pyro propellant, and a few other issues that makes it much less practical and formidable compared to a good can of spray.

It's a good idea to find a class too, opting to get sprayed as part of the class sucks, but is very valuable, just by OC's nature you have a high risk of contamination, splash or blowback, and having a couple techniques to deal with it is critical. I was happy with the Sabre class I attended, the company is a complete package of training and products, basically the best brand to go with IMO. Personally I like the Sabre red crossfire MK2 cans, sprays in any orientation, best performance, LEO packaging, inert units available, and fits well in a large doublestack single mag pouch, with a flap it's basically concealed. Smaller cans or the spitfire keychain work if you don't want to carry a big can In a pouch. It will hold up fine at most temps around here, Sabre says it is effective at 32-120 degrees although you should test and replace any spray long before it expires and avoid storing it in a car. I have tried a couple cans stored in a car for a couple years, and they work fine, tried freezing a can, and it still sprayed, although not as far, so while it isn't ideal to keep one in your car, it will probably still work. Inert cans are REALLY useful, one of the things I didn't really think of before the class, if you give someone an active can, give them an inert one too to test fire it. You wouldn't carry a pistol without firing it, inert cans let you practice, and see the range, pattern, and coverage area without having a burning mess to clean up.

redeemed.man

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2013
    HoCo

Anything use this in MD?

Thanks in advance.
    I have 2 of the Kimber Pepper Blaster 2's. I also have a JPX Jet Protector (similar in concept but much larger and more powerful). They have some advantages over sprays and some limitations. Use what is right for you. I only carry pepper when not carrying a gun, so almost never.

CypherPunk

Opinions Are My Own
    Apr 6, 2012
    I would not be surprised if college or university code prohibited pepper spray on campus or at any sponsored events.

For myself, I have been looking for a party size Sabre Red, similar to what they carry on the fictional tv show, Dog the Bounty Hunter.

redeemed.man

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2013
    HoCo
    I would not be surprised if college or university code prohibited pepper spray on campus or at any sponsored events.

For myself, I have been looking for a party size Sabre Red, similar to what they carry on the fictional tv show, Dog the Bounty Hunter.
    :eek: Dog is fake??? LMAO

rob-cubed

In need of moderation
    Sep 24, 2009
    Holding the line in Baltimore
    ii) “Weapon” does not include:
    1. a handgun

This has no bearing on the value of your post, it's just an ironic legal distinction.

My daughter was pulled aside for carrying pepper in Hong Kong. It went through US security with no issue but she was flagged as carrying "tear gas" "manufactured in USA". I think she may have learned a lesson about remembering what's in her pockets.

FWIW, pepper spray is probably more useful than a gun in many situations, and a better choice than illegal carry should you get caught. But you absolutely must understand how to use it, and under what conditions, and what it can and can't be expected to do. Be fully prepared to follow up with a physical attack to disable and not just deter.

Mr H

Banana'd
    My wife and I both have PB2s, and (for us) they are legal everywhere we go in MD.

The beauty of them IMO, is that they can fit in a cheapie cell phone case, and not attract any attention (especially the grey). My wife has the red for pocket/purse because, should she have to pull it, hopefully the 'shock value' will give her the extra second or two for someone to think better of it ;)

ProShooter

Ultimate Member
    Oct 8, 2008
    Richmond, Va

Anything use this in MD?

Thanks in advance.

I would be cautious using anything shaped like a gun, or held like a gun.

SABRE is better anyway, IMO

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    As alucard notes, I too favor the Sabre Red Crossfire. I carry it on duty. I have a 1.8oz can for carrying off duty and a 3oz can for use in the house if needed.

willtill

The Dude Abides
    MDS Supporter
    May 15, 2007
    I went to DC earlier this year; the Verizon Center to be exact. I was frisked by security while entering to attend an event. They found my Kimber Blaster in my right front pocket; and asked me what I had it for.

I told them "self defense". The guard then handed it back to me and let me go on my way.

molonlabe

Ultimate Member
    May 7, 2005
    Mountaineer Country, WV

Dangerous Weapons – Definitions and Prohibitions
    (a) Definitions.
    (1) In this section the following words have the meanings indicated. (2) “Nunchaku” means a device constructed of two pieces of any
    substance, including wood, metal, or plastic, connected by any chain, rope, leather, or other flexible material not exceeding 24 inches in length.

Rick3bears

Grumpy Old Coot
    Jul 28, 2012
    Somewhere, MD
    I keep a large can of Wasp Killer at my front door for home defense. Shoots damn near 20 feet. And a Tokarev TT33 as a backup.
    PS. Still haven't seen anything on expandable batons. Nobody has info or opinion?

Last edited:

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    I keep a large can of Wasp Killer at my front door for home defense. Shoots damn near 20 feet. And a Tokarev TT33 as a backup.
    PS. Still haven't seen anything on expandable batons. Nobody has info or opinion?

As a pesticide, misuse of Wasp spray including for defense is a federal crime, not as effective short term being it lacks the incapacitating fumes of OC, and long term it can cause permanent damage and blindness, which may or may not be relevant depending on the situation. Your Tok shouldn't be a "backup", if it is the firearm best suited for defense, then that should be plan A, and stored in a way to get it in your hands as quick as possible if there is trouble. In the majority of cases use of OC constitutes "lethal force" for civilian defense, so if you do not have cause to shoot someone, you don't have cause to spray them either, and in the same way if you would be justified in spraying, you would be justified in shooting, so why handicap yourself? I can't think of any defensive situation where it's an advantage to face trouble with a can of wasp spray in your hand instead of a pistol, unless you are being attacked by bees.

As far as carrying an ASP, it probably falls under MD's vague non-firearm weapons law, although isn't names specifically in the "dirk, dagger, metal knuckles, nunchuck" part of the law, probably falls under this
    Prohibited
    (c)(1) A person may not wear or carry a dangerous weapon of any kind concealed on or about the person.
    (2) A person may not wear or carry a dangerous weapon, chemical mace, pepper mace, or a tear gas device openly with the intent or purpose of injuring an individual in an unlawful manner.
    Buying, selling, keeping is lawful, lawful to open carry, concealing it may be unlawful, but isn't likely to result in a conviction, carrying with intent to criminally injure someone is not lawful

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    dracula

Latest threads

Top Bottom