is it legal to carry pepper spray in MD?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mcbruzdzinski

NRA Training Counselor
    Industry Partner
    Aug 28, 2007
    Catonsville MD
    and if you read further:

"(b) Exceptions for certain individuals.- This section does not prohibit the following individuals from carrying a weapon:

(1) an officer of the State, or of any county or municipal corporation of the State, who is entitled or required to carry the weapon as part of the officer's official equipment, or by any conservator of the peace, who is entitled or required to carry the weapon as part of the conservator's official equipment, or by any officer or conservator of the peace of another state who is temporarily in this State;

(2) a special agent of a railroad;

(3) a holder of a permit to carry a handgun issued under Title 5, Subtitle 3 of the Public Safety Article; or

(4) an individual who carries the weapon as a reasonable precaution against apprehended danger, subject to the right of the court in an action arising under this section to judge the reasonableness of the carrying of the weapon, and the proper occasion for carrying it, under the evidence in the case.

(c) Prohibited.-

(1) A person may not wear or carry a dangerous weapon of any kind concealed on or about the person.

(2) A person may not wear or carry a dangerous weapon, chemical mace, pepper mace, or a tear gas device openly with the intent or purpose of injuring an individual in an unlawful manner. "

Carrying a concealed canister of pepper spray in Maryland is not automatically against the law; there are times when it's illegal, and there are times when you won't be criminally charged for carrying or using it. What makes the difference is the circumstances under which you're doing so.

l730dc

Mar 6, 2013
    Kent Island, MD
    and if you read further:

"(b) Exceptions for certain individuals.- This section does not prohibit the following individuals from carrying a weapon:

(1) an officer of the State, or of any county or municipal corporation of the State, who is entitled or required to carry the weapon as part of the officer's official equipment, or by any conservator of the peace, who is entitled or required to carry the weapon as part of the conservator's official equipment, or by any officer or conservator of the peace of another state who is temporarily in this State;

(3) a holder of a permit to carry a handgun issued under Title 5, Subtitle 3 of the Public Safety Article; or

(4) an individual who carries the weapon as a reasonable precaution against apprehended danger, subject to the right of the court in an action arising under this section to judge the reasonableness of the carrying of the weapon, and the proper occasion for carrying it, under the evidence in the case.

(c) Prohibited.-

(1) A person may not wear or carry a dangerous weapon of any kind concealed on or about the person.

(2) A person may not wear or carry a dangerous weapon, chemical mace, pepper mace, or a tear gas device openly with the intent or purpose of injuring an individual in an unlawful manner. "

Carrying a concealed canister of pepper spray in Maryland is not automatically against the law; there are times when it's illegal, and there are times when you won't be criminally charged for carrying or using it. What makes the difference is the circumstances under which you're doing so.

Thanx for posting what was left out of the previous post!

Blackstar65

Ultimate Member
    Jun 27, 2010
    and if you read further:

(c) Prohibited.-

Thanks for posting the rest.

AC MkIII

Feb 18, 2011
    Calvert
    Thanks for the info.
    So MD has a sign at the boarders "Welcome all criminals. Our citizens are disarmed of anything to stop your attack on them. " The Governor

Docster

Ultimate Member
    Jul 19, 2010
    Like many laws, it is purposely vague to allow discretion on the part of judges and law enforcement. In a few instances, that discretion however may be lost and the user must pay the legal fees to prove innocence.

That does not keep me from carrying pepper spray however.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    Dang, I just remembered I'm signed up for the Sabre class on Wednesday. At least I think I am.
    Are you sending out confirmations, Mike?

willythewhale

Mar 31, 2013
    calvert co
    "Carrying a concealed canister of pepper spray in Maryland is not automatically against the law; there are times when it's illegal, and there are times when you won't be criminally charged for carrying or using it. What makes the difference is the circumstances under which you're doing so." so when is it ok to carry it?

rico903

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    and if you read further:

(c) Prohibited.-

How about a folding knife. Does it have to be exposed with a clip or can it be carried in a pocket?

mcbruzdzinski

NRA Training Counselor
    Industry Partner
    Aug 28, 2007
    Catonsville MD
    Dang, I just remembered I'm signed up for the Sabre class on Wednesday. At least I think I am.
    Are you sending out confirmations, Mike?

Threeband you are confirmed...in fact you are the only attendee so far.

I think I indicated in my original post that I rarely offer this class as it never been well attended.

It usually winds up being just my instructors and 2-4 students.

roberev

Jun 13, 2014
    I know that this is an old thread, but the discussion of Maryland law seems to be missing an important observation. For those whose Google searches lead them to this thread, I think that this need to be addressed, even if belatedly.

The definition of "Weapon" in Crim Law § 4-101 does not include "Pepper Mace" (or o.c. spray). "Pepper spray" has its own definition and only appears again in Paragraph (c)(2). There is no proscription against concealed carry of o.c spray, regardless of intent or purpose. (On this point, I respectfully disagree with mcbruzdzinski's observation). The only proscription is against open carry of o.c. spray "with the intent or purpose of injuring an individual in an unlawful manner" in Paragraph (c)(2).

Paragraph (b)(2)'s reference to "apprehended danger" is completely inapplicable to the question of o.c. carry.

For the lawyers, a fun question also arises of why the statute prohibits the carry of a "dangerous weapon" in Paragraphs (c)(1) and (2) when the term "dangerous" is undefined. What distinguishes a defined "weapon" from an undefined "dangerous weapon?"

Rob

Mr H

Banana'd
    (2) A person may not wear or carry a dangerous weapon, chemical mace, pepper mace, or a tear gas device openly with the intent or purpose of injuring an individual in an unlawful manner.
    (emphasis mine)

I read this as it being fine to carry, provided self-defense is your intent.

So, yes... I agree.

Rick3bears

Grumpy Old Coot
    Jul 28, 2012
    Somewhere, MD
    I haven't seen anything in the COMAR about expandable batons. I've asked several people and am usually told that it is a "grey" area and hard to pin down.

JOESTEELER

Jul 23, 2012
    Southern Maryland
    Don't recommend Mace / peppers spray because of expiration dates and most people just leave them in the gloves box so weather becomes a big issue. 110 degrees in you car could result in a leak from the can. TASERS / STUN GUN became legal to own and carry as long as it is for protection in 2013 unsure of date for the entire state. So any one who purchases one please get a model that has a safety/ deactivation pin.

Mr H

Banana'd
    Don't recommend Mace / peppers spray because of expiration dates and most people just leave them in the gloves box so weather becomes a big issue. 110 degrees in you car could result in a leak from the can. TASERS / STUN GUN became legal to own and carry as long as it is for protection in 2013 unsure of date for the entire state. So any one who purchases one please get a model that has a safety/ deactivation pin.

ECDs are still illegal in Baltimore, BalCo, HoCo, Ocean City, and Annapolis.

Echo the warning about expiration dates. I provide pepper spray to family and friends, and am sure to replace them after 3 years. Will remind them about the car, though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    dracula

Latest threads

Top Bottom