• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • avsterbone

Aug 27, 2023
    Michigan
    This past weekend I was in Maryland where I attended a private event. I noticed one of the security guards had a police badge on his belt. I privately approached him and asked if he was an off-duty Montgomery County Police Officer to which he responded “Yes.” I then explained how I’m a 2A advocate, I’m from out of state, and I hold a Maryland Wear & Carry Permit. I asked him about the local county law and if it’s even enforced.

I kid you not he told me that not only is not enforced but leadership has specifically directed the department NOT to enforce it because of “litigation.” He said they get these bulletin updates via email and that they said not to enforce it. And he said even if they did, he said all his colleagues agree it’s a stupid, unenforceable law. I asked him, “So if you pull someone over do you check to see if they’re within 100 yards of a prohibited location” and he giggled.

What’s so crazy is that in court filings Montgomery County is making it seem they need this law for public safety (and it hasn’t even been enjoined yet!) yet behind the scenes they are actively telling their officers not to enforce it.

I'll be forwarding this to Maryland Shall Issue to assist them with discovery should their current case get that far.

esqappellate

President, MSI
    Feb 12, 2012
    This past weekend I was in Maryland where I attended a private event. I noticed one of the security guards had a police badge on his belt. I privately approached him and asked if he was an off-duty Montgomery County Police Officer to which he responded “Yes.” I then explained how I’m a 2A advocate, I’m from out of state, and I hold a Maryland Wear & Carry Permit. I asked him about the local county law and if it’s even enforced.

I kid you not he told me that not only is not enforced but leadership has specifically directed the department NOT to enforce it because of “litigation.” He said they get these bulletin updates via email and that they said not to enforce it. And he said even if they did, he said all his colleagues agree it’s a stupid, unenforceable law. I asked him, “So if you pull someone over do you check to see if they’re within 100 yards of a prohibited location” and he giggled.

What’s so crazy is that in court filings Montgomery County is making it seem they need this law for public safety (and it hasn’t even been enjoined yet!) yet behind the scenes they are actively telling their officers not to enforce it.

I'll be forwarding this to Maryland Shall Issue to assist them with discovery should their current case get that far.
    Ironically, the county attorneys have stated in open court that the county will not agree to not enforce the county law while the litigation is pending. This refusal to disavow enforcement actually hurt them in this case. When a government is talking out of both sides of their mouths, I can’t take seriously anything they say or don’t say.

avsterbone

Aug 27, 2023
    Michigan
    Ironically, the county attorneys have stated in open court that the county will not agree to not enforce the county law while the litigation is pending. This refusal to disavow enforcement actually hurt them in this case. When a government is talking out of both sides of their mouths, I can’t take seriously anything they say or don’t say.
    You should submit a FOIA (or whatever you call it in MD) request to MoCo Police for body camera footage of every traffic stop where someone was pulled over with a W&C permit since 21-22 went into effect. I guarantee you that officers NEVER check to see if they are in violation of 21-22.

I have also never heard of anyone being prosecuted under this law either. This is so clearly an unenforced law (not that it needs to be as W&C holders don't commit crimes) which makes it all the more baffling why they are throwing taxpayer dollars into the incenerator.

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    You should submit a FOIA (or whatever you call it in MD) request to MoCo Police for body camera footage of every traffic stop where someone was pulled over with a W&C permit since 21-22 went into effect. I guarantee you that officers NEVER check to see if they are in violation of 21-22.

I have also never heard of anyone being prosecuted under this law either. This is so clearly an unenforced law (not that it needs to be as W&C holders don't commit crimes) which makes it all the more baffling why they are throwing taxpayer dollars into the incenerator.

Well, it seems that W&C holders will be forced to either disarm or to commit crimes. That's the county's solution to the problem that the W&C community is the most law-abiding subset of the community.

It's a case of "Hold my beer and watch this!"

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    It's an open non secret that MoCo is delibertly not enforcing * for now * .

They know that while the MSI suit is in the courts ,if they charge just one ( not totally repugnant ) defendant , the case can be priority as a Criminal challenge instead of Civil . That would mess up their strategy of stalling indefinitely for as many years as they can . (Witness the HQL suit ) .

If MoCo States Attorney and MCPD are even semi smart , they will do some high profile arrests under the new State provisions after Oct 2 .

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    If the Dept heads are foolish enough to put that in email, they'll regret it soon. That's discoverable and puts them directly in conflict with the county council.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    But wait, I thought cops wanted to take guns away from people? Man, this pause really puts the kabash on everything "they signed up for".

rickyp

Ultimate Member
    Sep 13, 2009
    But wait, I thought cops wanted to take guns away from people? Man, this pause really puts the kabash on everything "they signed up for".
    I have talked to a lot of police in charles about carry in parks and other restricted places. The all said basically the same thin. If it is concealed no one will know that you have it. As of yet I have not found a single officer to have an issue with a permit holder carrying a firearm I am sure there are a few out there that may.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    I have talked to a lot of police in charles about carry in parks and other restricted places. The all said basically the same thin. If it is concealed no one will know that you have it. As of yet I have not found a single officer to have an issue with a permit holder carrying a firearm I am sure there are a few out there that may.
    My Anne Arundel County friends couldn't care less also.

Bountied

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2012
    Pasadena

According to my friend who just retired from MoCo police. They aren't supposed to enforce any laws. They just get paid to show up. He retired 2 years early because he was sick of the BS. He now lives at the beach in DE never to return.

KingClown

SOmething Witty
    Jul 29, 2020
    Deep Blue MD
    There are alot of cops that dont want to take our guns. I would even believe the majority. The problem is when they are told to take the guns or be fired we will hear alot of them saying they were just following orders.
    Cops enforce laws all the time they dont agree with because its enforce it or else.
    Can you blame them I dont. They have families and kids they need to support too and they cant do that if they have no income because they got fired.
    With that said when they are told enforce the law and take the guns or else they absolutely will and when asked about it they will say they were just following orders.

Mr. Ed

This IS my Happy Face
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2009
    Edgewater
    I hang out with a group of retired LEOs who blame body cameras for the current lack of discretion in handling 'interactions' with citizens. They have heard from their working counterparts that they don't have the discretion and leeway that they used to. Big blue brother looking over their shoulders, and all that.

jc1240

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 18, 2013
    Westminster, MD

My Anne Arundel County friends couldn't care less also.
    So, starting 1 Oct they won't look for folks printing while in the "sensitive" places (I don't mean courthouses and other gov buildings)? That's my (minor) concern. My right to have a chance outweighs some tyrant's hissy fit.

Bikebreath

R.I.P.
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 30, 2009
    in the bowels of Baltimore
    I hang out with a group of retired LEOs who blame body cameras for the current lack of discretion in handling 'interactions' with citizens. They have heard from their working counterparts that they don't have the discretion and leeway that they used to. Big blue brother looking over their shoulders, and all that.
    A double edge sword, I’m sure. Sometimes citizens need a good whack to settle down. Being a cop is even a tougher job them before.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    So, starting 1 Oct they won't look for folks printing while in the "sensitive" places (I don't mean courthouses and other gov buildings)? That's my (minor) concern. My right to have a chance outweighs some tyrant's hissy fit.
    Not sure if printing is RS or PC for a search. I doubt it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom