• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Abulg1972

Ultimate Member
    Working on my CMP eligibility :D Just joined a CMP affiliated club, now I need the marksmanship requirement. Was looking for some deals to hold me over though.

I found some old forum topics on other sites about the Danish surplus. Sounds like it was manufactured for piles of M1's that they received right after WWII, so should be safe. One source said some of the lots were produced with M80 NATO bullets, not M2 spec flat bottom bullets, but I don't think that would be a cause for concern.

Do you have a safe hunter card? HQL? Those qualify.

Personally, I wouldn't use Berdan primed ammo in an M1 (or any gas operated firearm). It's just playing with fire. That Danish ammo is not a deal. PPU makes ammo in reloadable brass for $1 more per box. CMP sells HXP for $115 shipped for 192 rounds.

sxs

MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2009
    Anne Arundel County, MD

Personally, I wouldn't use Berdan primed ammo in an M1 (or any gas operated firearm). It's just playing with fire. That Danish ammo is not a deal. PPU makes ammo in reloadable brass for $1 more per box. CMP sells HXP for $115 shipped for 192 rounds.

I don't have a great deal of direct experience, but the guys I know who shoot M1's a lot love the HXP.

TapRackBang

Cheaper Than Diamonds
    Jan 14, 2012
    Bel Air
    Personally, I wouldn't use Berdan primed ammo in an M1 (or any gas operated firearm). It's just playing with fire.

I don't have much experience so this is a learning opportunity for me. Can you clarify the risk?
    Isn't every AK ever made gas-operated and 99.999% of them ever only fire Berdan-primed ammo?

Sharp

Feb 21, 2015
    Calvert

Neither, that's the problem. I figure I'll have to take a class or enter a competition to qualify.

Same question as above though. I realize that Berdan primed ammo is not practical to reload, but I don't have the equipment and my little apartment is hardly suited for reloading anyways. If its not corrosive, what is the danger?

fred333

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 20, 2013
    If its not corrosive, what is the danger?

The M1's sensitive to over-pressures, which can warp the op rod. Best to stick with 30-.06 made for the M1 or install a vented/adjustable gas cap, which allows you to shoot a wider range of ammo.

Sharp

Feb 21, 2015
    Calvert
    The M1's sensitive to over-pressures, which can warp the op rod. Best to stick with 30-.06 made for the M1 or install a vented/adjustable gas cap, which allows you to shoot a wider range of ammo.

I see. I believe this ammo was manufactured for M1's, but a newer gas plug design probably would be a good idea. I've heard of the adjustable plugs, but the one you linked looks interesting (a larger expansion chamber rather than restricting the gas tap, if I am understanding correctly). I'll be looking more into it. Thanks!

fred333

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 20, 2013
    I've heard of the adjustable plugs, but the one you linked looks interesting (a larger expansion chamber rather than restricting the gas tap, if I am understanding correctly). I'll be looking more into it. Thanks!

That's the one I'm using. You're very welcome.

namrelio

Ultimate Member
    Aug 14, 2013
    Frederick Co. Virginia
    That's the one I'm using. You're very welcome.

In your opinion, I would not have a problem shooting 180 gr Core Lokt in my M1 with the above gas cap? I read the reviews, but would feel better hearing from a member. 180 gr is what I use for hunting, and I am well stocked. If you agree, this is GOOD news. Thanks in advance.

fred333

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 20, 2013
    In your opinion, I would not have a problem shooting 180 gr Core Lokt in my M1 with the above gas cap? I read the reviews, but would feel better hearing from a member. 180 gr is what I use for hunting, and I am well stocked. If you agree, this is GOOD news. Thanks in advance.

The only problem I've had with Core-Lokt and the Garand with the ported cap is the cost of the Core-Lokt.

reverendbeer

Stiff Member
    Nov 9, 2012
    Anne Arundel Province, DPRM
    Did anyone submit an order for an M1 Carbine?

Yup. I believe I have approximately a 11% chance of getting one.

it-could-happen.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom