• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Machodoc

Old Guy
    Jun 27, 2012
    Just South of Chuck County
    It's good to see that .22LR is finally making its way ... albeit slowly ... back onto the shelves and online dealer sites. Maybe by Christmas the hoarding will back off a bit and we'll see more reasonable prices.

I noticed a catalog last night (Gander Mt., I think) that has started to "guarantee" ammo with the purchase of certain rifles. One of them was a .22 that came with 600 rounds of ammo. It's good to see that. I hated that we went through a time where parents/grandparents would give a responsible young adult their first hunting or target rifle, then not be able to get ammo for it.

Ironically, I didn't feel the pinch of the .22LR shortage. When I'm travelling, I tend to visit lots of new gun shops, usually take their time up looking at stock, and always tried to show LGS support by buying something before I left. In the months before The Madness hit America, this was often a $15-20 brick of .22LR ammo. I'm still shooting that, and have shared a bit with friends who were letting youngsters shoot.

cantstop

Pentultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 10, 2012
    MD
    Any thoughts on the SKSes from Royal Tiger?

meh, from their website it's $300 for an average, mostly matching ;) one and down in quality from there.

Four Grades:
    Grade A: Good to very good condition: $299.95
    These rifles are hand select
    Rifles are in working order.
    They feature mostly matching serial numbers, at least 70% finish and a nice stock.
    We offer a hand select for guaranteed matching numbers and nice bore for additional $20.00

Grade B: Fair to good condition:$245.95
    Rifles are in fair to good condition
    All rifles are in working order. Matching numbers not guaranteed.
    Handselect for matching # and bore available. $20.00

Grade C: Fair to good condition but no rust but with small crack stock : $219.95
    Rifles are in fair to excellent condition
    Not all rifles are in working order.
    Stocks are cracked or damaged
    Hand select for bore and finish available $20.00

Grade D: Rusted, pitted and cracked stock:$199.95
    Rifles have minor pitting or corrosion
    Rifles will not be in working order.
    All rifles have cracked or damaged stocks
    No returns on D grade.
    No hand select available for D grade.

Includes 10 round box mag and Blade Type Folding Bayonet. Condition is rated by the Importer as NRA Surplus Good (Gunsmith Special does not apply).

NOTE for Gunsmith Special: these do have cracked and/or broken stocks in various places. Keep in thought these are surplus firearms.

Maxsplat

Apr 11, 2013
    Westmonster
    Midway can be tough. I had other stuff (dies, bullets and a case length gauge) to die that were just sitting in my cart, so it made sense for me - total shipping to Bmore was $12.81. I've passed on many a "deal" at Midway because shipping made the price per round ridiculous.

The shipping isn't too bad if you add more ammo to it. Midway had CCI earlier this year an I ordered 1500 rounds. Shipping was around $22. Worked out to around $.08/rd when it was all said and done. I was happy with it since I literally had zero 22 on hand.

I played with the round count trying to figure how the shipping would be affected. Mostly it seemed like the shipping went up a small amount, maybe $.10, for every added 100 rounds. I should have maxed out, I think I could have gotten close to 5000 at the time, ordering at the time but I wasn't trying to horde it. I just wanted to get some on hand and have it for small game hunting and plinking.

Machodoc

Old Guy
    Jun 27, 2012
    Midway can be tough. I had other stuff (dies, bullets and a case length gauge) to die that were just sitting in my cart, so it made sense for me - total shipping to Bmore was $12.81. I've passed on many a "deal" at Midway because shipping made the price per round ridiculous.

Not too long ago, Midway sent out a message that they had revised their policies (for the second or third time in the last year, or so). I think they realized that they were turning people off with things like their $4 surcharge on orders that were below a certain dollar amount, etc. (they did away with that**). I think they're trying to become more competitive again, which is a good thing.

[** This was really annoying when you'd place an order above that cost threshold, then they'd send part of it because they were out of stock on some of the order, and charge the fee each time they shipped part of it.]

Machodoc

Old Guy
    Jun 27, 2012
    Care to come set up beside me when I have my Hakim out?

Looks comparable to a Garand.

Yep, it would be pretty similar except that the muzzle brake diverts a good bit of the blast out to the sides. It's very effective at reducing the perceived recoil, but people who are more than a couple of feet off to the sides sort of feel the shock wave pass through them. I was up in the foothills of the Blueridge mountains a couple of weeks ago, shooting on top of a ridge with my brother. It was fun to pull off a round with the Hakim, then lift the hearing protector and listen to the multiple echos off the mountains.

tomandjerry00

Ultimate Member
    Apr 12, 2013
    PB post a bunch of new M39s. Some of them look nice, but nothing that I "need" to have. If I didn't already have a few, some of them would be worth considering.

Excuse my noob ignorance, but what/who is PB?

I did a google search and couldn't find a good answer. Searched Gunbroker for M39s and didn't find any sellers that seemed like PB in my hasty search.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bara4033

Latest threads

Top Bottom