• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rumnhammer

Mar 2, 2013
    Nice

If I was going to get another SKS, this rifle above would be what I'd want to have. That rifle is choice sir!

Chris Rummel

mdjohn

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 14, 2013
    Harford county
    I like stripper clips
    a hell of a lot cheaper than mags
    and I can load them a lot faster

should I buy one magazine or 30 stripper clips with my money.....................
    one mag holds 20 rounds or 30 rounds but ..... 30 stripper clips hold 300 rounds and I have the vest that will carry them
    whose gonna run out of ammo first
    :lol2::lol2:

Docster

Ultimate Member
    Jul 19, 2010
    I like stripper clips
    a hell of a lot cheaper than mags
    and I can load them a lot faster

should I buy one magazine or 30 stripper clips with my money.....................
    one mag holds 20 rounds or 30 rounds but ..... 30 stripper clips hold 300 rounds and I have the vest that will carry them
    whose gonna run out of ammo first
    :lol2::lol2:

I couldn't decide so I got 20 round, 30-round mags, stripper clips AND the vest!:lol2:

Oldcarjunkie

R.I.P
    Jan 8, 2009
    A.A county
    I like SKS rifles for two things... Fun and collectability. I dont think they are super accurate, but id say they are better than a AK at 100 yards. Not sure i have any left im willing to part with. I just sold a mint yugo to another member here.

ObsceneJesster

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2011
    When I picked up my first SKS (unfired Norinco) a few months ago, I had no idea they would be so much fun to shoot. I'll admit, I Bubbafied it with a Tapco Stock, removed the bayonet and cleaning rod and that made it pretty damn light. I've put around 300 rounds through it and every single one went bang. I've been using the 20 and 30 round Tapco mags which are a lot more reliable than I had imaged.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

whitelightning777

May 20, 2013
    When I got my SKS, it was a C&R cash and carry gun even though it had a bayonet. Assuming it still is, thats an advantage over any AK. The accuracy is the same or better.

I'm sorry I sold it.

If there is a spring kit for the firing pin, I say get it. Safety is worth the price.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    If there is a spring kit for the firing pin, I say get it. Safety is worth the price.

Not when the spring deteriorates in less than 1,000 rounds/1 year and causes the problem it is supposed to prevent. The Russians took the spring out for a reason.

The big Tapco's are great offhand, but I have trouble with them if you try to rest the mag on a bench ... shooting off a bench, you are better with metal than plastic.

Oldcarjunkie

R.I.P
    Jan 8, 2009
    A.A county
    Not when the spring deteriorates in less than 1,000 rounds/1 year and causes the problem it is supposed to prevent. The Russians took the spring out for a reason.

This. My buddy had a SKS that worked fine, then put a Murray's kit in it and it had issues. Took it out and replaced it with original parts again, never had another problem. The normal system works great so long as you clean your gun and make sure to keep your firing pin clean and free of oil and debris.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    You can get duckbill SKS mags in any configuration you can for an AK and swapping mags is just as fast with practice.
    Good luck carrying a bunch of those magazines around in a vest, or anywhere else you could get rapid access to them. I'm not trying to hate on the concept here - I own an SKS-M, for crying out loud - but after experience with both the AK and the SKS, it's not rocket science why the Soviets switched to the AK.

FWIW, I thought my Murray's pin had issues, but it turned out to be cosmo in a place I didn't expect. Got rid of the cosmo, and no further problems. The Russians only got rid of the spring-loaded pin due to cost reasons - Simonov wasn't stupid, he put it there in the original for a reason (as anyone with a slam-firing SKS can tell you, I guess).

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    We all know the SKS works when there is no foreign matter in the pin channel

My Murray spring wore out and broke in half, the middle ends overlapped jamming the pin forward. The spring, pin and channel were very clean when I got it apart, its not like it was full of soot, it was clean and busted. I know the Murray spring has a lot of fans, but I am not going to risk a repeat.

Even if it had a lifetime warranty, it would not be worth the time to drive out a jammed spring each time - even if there was no risk to the pin itself and the bolt - which there is when the spring is jammed around the pin.

My guess is that the quality of the spring itself varies and it is difficult to manufacture correctly in quantity ... some will be fine, others will be junk ... which will be the one you get?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom