• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Abulg1972

Ultimate Member
    I'm just trying to learn here. If you want to argue semantics, I'm not interested. If you want to help me understand the benefits one might enjoy from getting an Illinois license, for which you are soliciting interest per this thread, that's great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatal

Abulg1972

Ultimate Member
    I would imagine for the same reasons as wanting a FL or UT non-res.

Even if you're just traveling, it saves the trouble of routing around IL or stopping to unload and secure your weapon to meet the peaceable journey requirements.

I can understand people who have a second house in another state. But just traveling as you noted - wouldn't that require that you have a permit in each state between here and there? Is that the point here - to get as many state permits as possible so that you can carry in as many places as possible?

CypherPunk

Opinions Are My Own
    Apr 6, 2012
    I'm just trying to learn here. If you want to argue semantics, I'm not interested. If you want to help me understand the benefits one might enjoy from getting an Illinois license, for which you are soliciting interest per this thread, that's great.

If your trying to learn, problem: attitude

1. Paint the fence.
    Don't give away or cede any rights, ever. The anti's will only take, never give. The can call it a concealed carry permit, a wear & carry permit, or a golden pile of Frosh. The law grants them authority to issue a "Handgun Permit."

2. Sand the deck.
    We are sometimes our own worst enemies. Don't pick a fight or argue without a good reason.

3. Wax on, Wax off.
    A. Police familiarity with form and function, B. school zones (and other state exemptions) and
    C. redundant reciprocity are all reasons one might consider multiple permits.

Now use head for something other than target.

Abulg1972

Ultimate Member
    If your trying to learn, problem: attitude

1. Paint the fence.
    Don't give away or cede any rights, ever. The anti's will only take, never give. The can call it a concealed carry permit, a wear & carry permit, or a golden pile of Frosh. The law grants them authority to issue a "Handgun Permit."

2. Sand the deck.
    We are sometimes our own worst enemies. Don't pick a fight or argue without a good reason.

3. Wax on, Wax off.
    A. Police familiarity with form and function, B. school zones (and other state exemptions) and
    C. redundant reciprocity are all reasons one might consider multiple permits.

Now use head for something other than target.

I'm the one with the attitude problem? I asked a pretty simple question, trying to learn what you're inquiring about and why, and I get a response akin to what one might expect to receive after asking a typical a gun store employee for help ... Let me know when your special club of super duper gun owners opens up to neophytes. Thanks for being a good forum member. Good luck and Godspeed.

CypherPunk

Opinions Are My Own
    Apr 6, 2012
    Hai - can see. No such thing as bad student, only bad teacher. Teacher say, student do.

Rattlesnake46319

Curmidget
    Apr 1, 2008
    Jefferson County, MO
    I can understand people who have a second house in another state. But just traveling as you noted - wouldn't that require that you have a permit in each state between here and there? Is that the point here - to get as many state permits as possible so that you can carry in as many places as possible?

Well, to answer your question regarding travel - no. After all, you don't have to get a separate driver license for every state you drive in. One may carry in any state that honors their permit. The term of art is "reciprocity". Example - I once was an Indiana resident, holding an Indiana LTCH (License To Carry Handgun since we've demonstrated semantics in this thread), and living in Maryland on military orders. When I would travel home to Indiana, I would have my weapon cased through Maryland and Ohio as they did not honor Indiana's LTCH. Didn't need a separate permit for Pennsylvania as they honored Indiana's. Similar situation driving from Indiana to Texas. Illinois did not honor my permit, Missouri, Arkansas, and Texas did.

To answer your second question - yes, in a sense. I did much of my traveling when I was single and consequently did not have anyone riding along with me. Granted, a male is less likely to be accosted than a female, but it happens. I preferred to have the means to defend myself if necessary. Nowadays, with a family, my main concern is to be able to defend them if necessary. Bear in mind that with the exception of military orders, I have never lived in a state in which I could not carry.

Forgive me if I seem skeptical, but I find your questions to be interesting and strangely direct. As if you are working toward some point or looking for someone to slip up. Again, I do not mean to accuse, but it is my nature to question things.

Abulg1972

Ultimate Member
    Well, to answer your question regarding travel - no. After all, you don't have to get a separate driver license for every state you drive in. One may carry in any state that honors their permit. The term of art is "reciprocity". Example - I once was an Indiana resident, holding an Indiana LTCH (License To Carry Handgun since we've demonstrated semantics in this thread), and living in Maryland on military orders. When I would travel home to Indiana, I would have my weapon cased through Maryland and Ohio as they did not honor Indiana's LTCH. Didn't need a separate permit for Pennsylvania as they honored Indiana's. Similar situation driving from Indiana to Texas. Illinois did not honor my permit, Missouri, Arkansas, and Texas did.

To answer your second question - yes, in a sense. I did much of my traveling when I was single and consequently did not have anyone riding along with me. Granted, a male is less likely to be accosted than a female, but it happens. I preferred to have the means to defend myself if necessary. Nowadays, with a family, my main concern is to be able to defend them if necessary. Bear in mind that with the exception of military orders, I have never lived in a state in which I could not carry.

Forgive me if I seem skeptical, but I find your questions to be interesting and strangely direct. As if you are working toward some point or looking for someone to slip up. Again, I do not mean to accuse, but it is my nature to question things.

I have no motive. Your skepticism, while understandable, is unwarranted. I am truly trying to understand what my options are. While we may agree on what the 2nd amendment guarantees us, I am realistic in what the various agencies deny us. I do not have a MD permit because I do not believe the MSP would honor my "good and substantial reason". I am just trying to understand what one might gain from having a permit issued by another state.

Chasbo00

Jun 30, 2012
    Northern VA
    I am just trying to understand what one might gain from having a permit issued by another state.

Spend a little time on this site: http://www.handgunlaw.us/

Their info is usually accurate and state reciprocity is kept up to date. The interactive map takes you to the various states.

Since Illinois does not recognize any other state's permit, if someone wants to carry there, an Illinois permit makes sense. But note also the places where one cannot carry - extensive and onerous in my opinion.

Stoveman

TV Personality
    Patriot Picket
    Sep 2, 2013
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    I have no motive. Your skepticism, while understandable, is unwarranted. I am truly trying to understand what my options are. While we may agree on what the 2nd amendment guarantees us, I am realistic in what the various agencies deny us. I do not have a MD permit because I do not believe the MSP would honor my "good and substantial reason". I am just trying to understand what one might gain from having a permit issued by another state.

Cypherpunk is being cryptic as usual. Nothing wrong with that, it just takes a little getting used to.

In layman's terms:

Cypherpunk is an authorized Illinois Firearms instructor and is trying to gauge interest in a class for non resident Illinois permit to carry due to the SAF bringing suit challenging the lack of same.

Basically, are you willing to take a class now and get the training over with betting on the courts to strike down IL current non resident permitting system?

Reasons for getting other state NR permits (UT, VA, FL for example) the answer is reciprocity. Until recently you could carry in all the states surrounding MD with a UT NR permit. PA AG put the kibosh on that for PA but it is still an option for VA, WV and DE and many other states. If you travel to Free America it's an option for concealed carry. You can also open carry in many states without a permit, but be aware that some states (PA, possibly others) don't allow OC in a vehicle without a permit from any state.

Confused yet?

traveller

The one with two L
    Nov 26, 2010
    variable
    The 'benefit' of a IL CHL is that you can have a handgun at your disposal if you are confronted with a situation that warrants the use of force to defend yourself or your family while travelling in IL.

redeemed.man

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2013
    HoCo
    The 'benefit' of a IL CHL is that you can have a handgun at your disposal if you are confronted with a situation that warrants the use of force to defend yourself or your family while travelling in IL.
    True, but I am much more likely to visit NV than IL :D

CypherPunk

Opinions Are My Own
    Apr 6, 2012
    Does the training for IL have to be completed within a certain time frame (no more than one year, as an example) before applying?

I'm researching this now.

We are going through the same question with DC, where the appear to offer you 45 days to get trained IF approved, and provide credit for accepted training that was completed within the previous 2 years.

I'll have an answer for Illinois shortly.

CypherPunk

Opinions Are My Own
    Apr 6, 2012
    Per the Illinois State Police, Firearms Services Section;

There are currently no requirements with regard to the date of completion for "prior training" exemptions. For example, either NRA basic Pistol, OR Active, Retired or Honorably Discharge member of the US Armed forces would count towards 8 of the 16 hours required - regardless of when the training occurred. Alternatively, a Utah Concealed Firearms Permit training class would count as 4 of the 16 hours - regardless of when the training occurred.

Likewise, the additional 8 hours of training (in the first example) or 12 hours of training (in the Utah example) to meet the 16 hour standard currently does not expire based on date of completion.

Click here for the IL CCL prior training credit application.

Stoveman

TV Personality
    Patriot Picket
    Sep 2, 2013
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    Good to know, thanks.

I would definitely be interested since I would only need 8 hours.

DC going the same route with credit for training already completed?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    dracula

Latest threads

Top Bottom