• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Armed Citizen

Jul 27, 2010
    I am beginning the search of a possible AK to buy in the next month or so in the $600-$800 range but I know very little about AK's as far as things to look for in a decent rifle. I don't know the good from the bad manufacturers, good vs. bad parts, features, anything. All I really know to look for is a chrome lined barrel. So to those knowledgeable in the AK platform, any pointers you can give me when shopping around for an AK?

WheelHead

Head of the wheel
    Dec 6, 2011
    Snow Hill

chompers

Nov 8, 2012
    I have a Pap m70 and I do like it. I had problems with the bolt hopping over cartridges with my Hungarian metal mags. It's double stack but it comes with a single stack bolt. I replaced it with a double stack bolt and ground out the lip on the trunnion so it could pass over. haven't had a problem since. Here's a shot of how small the contact point is(and it gets smaller when the round tilts up to go into the chamber). when the bolt hops, it slams the side of the round denting/gouging it.

Attachments

• IMG_20121211_193541.jpg
      IMG_20121211_193541.jpg
      68.6 KB · Views: 477

Bafflingbs

Gozer the Destroyer
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 16, 2013
    Calvert County
    I have a Pap m70 and I do like it. I had problems with the bolt hopping over cartridges with my Hungarian metal mags. It's double stack but it comes with a single stack bolt. I replaced it with a double stack bolt and ground out the lip on the trunnion so it could pass over. haven't had a problem since. Here's a shot of how small the contact point is(and it gets smaller when the round tilts up to go into the chamber). when the bolt hops, it slams the side of the round denting/gouging it.
    Where did you find a double stack bolt? Been looking for 7-8 months.

chompers

Nov 8, 2012
    It was off of gunbroker for 35$ back in january. I found a bolt dimension table online. Then i took some calipers to mine and found the most compatible. It was a romanian that was the closest to the yugo m70s that others said they used. it was .001 bolt face recess difference and the bolt stem was the same. I bought some go/no-go gauges and it worked out.

Feb 28, 2013
    I am beginning the search of a possible AK to buy in the next month or so in the $600-$800 range but I know very little about AK's as far as things to look for in a decent rifle. I don't know the good from the bad manufacturers, good vs. bad parts, features, anything. All I really know to look for is a chrome lined barrel. So to those knowledgeable in the AK platform, any pointers you can give me when shopping around for an AK?

http://clydearmory.com/century-international-arms-wasr-19.html

Bafflingbs

Gozer the Destroyer
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 16, 2013
    Calvert County
    To answer your question, I'd go with an unconverted saiga 7.62 and have it converted. There was a post here earlier showing one for $450. From what I've read, it's not hard to do the conversion. I did my own conversion on my Saiga 12 and I am far from an expert.

chompers

Nov 8, 2012
    I know we took this convo to PMs but since it was asked here, i'm posting for anyone else that might come across it. Credit to the person who compiled it, I don't know anymore.

Attachments

• scanlarge.jpg
      scanlarge.jpg
      79.1 KB · Views: 557

dohc97

Nov 4, 2007
    Derwood
    I only started buying rifles last year and have bought 2 Arsenals; an SGL-21 and a SAS M7 Classic. Get the best you can afford and you'll be happy for a long time. When I started researching about AKs last year, the only thing common was the Arsenal brand. I don't see myself selling any of my AKs for a long time.

Dan44

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 5, 2008
    Does the opap yugo m70 come with the singlestack or double stack bolt?

I've seen both reported.

Me, I stick to Chinese pre-ban. Clayco, PolyTech and Norinco

Attachments

• DSCN0451.JPG
      DSCN0451.JPG
      87.3 KB · Views: 242

Mike OTDP

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2008
    Right now, I'd go for a Waffen Works AK-74. Then buy three or four spam cans of ammo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Millebar

Latest threads

Top Bottom