• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • pitpawten

Ultimate Member
    Jan 28, 2013
    The katadyn bottle purifier I posted is an actual purifier and works on chemicals, virus's and other pathogens.

Good stuff, looks like it employs the same kind of 3 step process (Filter, Charcoal, Mystery) :) Good to know there another maker of similar tech

The Katadyn® MyBottle™ Purifier is the only EPA-registered water purifier on the market.

I like how they quote the same exclusivity that the First Need does :D

I was given a UV pen kit. Still trying to get used to that one...killing everything without straining out the floaters. Both go with me for now

I think if I were to use a SteriPen I'd probably also use a light and cheap (but quality) filter as well. The SteriPen doesn't actually kill the biological elements though (FWIU) rather it sterilizes them so they cant reproduce (and run amok in your system). So essentially you get micro-sushi :D

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    I understand not drinking out of a creek or what not...but has anyone that lives around Waldorf or 488/La Plata rd noticed why people stop at this "spring" on the side of the road...like its the fountain of youth? Ive seen people with tons of milk jugs and or water containers stopping there and filling them up...I even saw a line of 2-3 cars before. I never stopped to see what the deal was before I moved...Its maybe a mile from Rt 5...

eyego11

Apr 28, 2013
    Thank you to everyone who gave me advice. Turns out its just a really bad stomach bug going around called "novovirus Sydney". Symptoms aren't too bad but just coincidental I drank from the stream and ate the raw fish last week. Still probably saved my ass from parasites in the future, pretty scary stuff up where I live in this water. Just checked the water today and noticed brown and red particles in the water when I help a magnifying glass up to it. Guess its what we get for all the disgusting and horrible chemicals we pour into our water in Maryland.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    I understand not drinking out of a creek or what not...but has anyone that lives around Waldorf or 488/La Plata rd noticed why people stop at this "spring" on the side of the road...like its the fountain of youth? Ive seen people with tons of milk jugs and or water containers stopping there and filling them up...I even saw a line of 2-3 cars before. I never stopped to see what the deal was before I moved...Its maybe a mile from Rt 5...

I think it's because the water table that most homes are drilled into for their well's was contaminated. I'd have to ask my uncle again, he explained why one day, but it was a while back.

Pass by there all the time on the way to MG.

Sewer Rat

Ultimate Member
    Beaver Fever aint fun.... but as a person who has drank the effluent from three WRFs that I built in FL... not all waters are contaminated. Its best to treat them as such, but most fears are unfounded.

The more rapids/rocks/falls in the water flow, the more aerated the water is and more aerobic digestion of the bad bugs occur.

eyego11

Apr 28, 2013
    it was a quick virus lul. Over now but had lots of stomach cramping and throwing up. Still congested too

foxtrapper

Ultimate Member
    Sep 11, 2007
    Havre de Grace
    I once must have gotten a few guiardia bugs into myself. Was beaver trapping and got the water on my hands, and then it dried. Then I got a splitting headache, took stuff for it w/out washing my hands first, saliva got spot on hand wet, tongue picked something up. Had the runs 1 time some hours later, then had on/off horrible cramping for days. If that was just a tiny dose, I don't want to feel what a good drink of that water would do. Clue: I was beaver trapping. I now carry hand sanitizer all the time.

Don't drink the water.

Attachments

• beaverjan23.jpg
      beaverjan23.jpg
      47.9 KB · Views: 60

Mooseman

R.I.P.- Hooligan #4
    Jan 3, 2012
    Western Maryland
    You probably have a bad cold.....

Water borne illnesses generally cause gastrointestinal symptoms. If you don't have nausea, vomiting and diarrhea it's a pretty good bet you didn't get what you got from the water. Suck it up.

That is what I was thinking, but I am not a doctor and don't play one on tv.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom