• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Huckleberry

No One of Consequence
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 19, 2007
    Severn & Lewes
    Yo Grizzly Adams, get yourself a Katadyn Water Filter unless you prefer the taste of Iodine or Bleach.

Consider this episode a down payment on your tuition for the School of Hard Knocks.

rwbow1969

Get Wiffit
    Dec 10, 2011
    Clearspring
    I got giardia in (then) Leningrad in 1988. Wow, I know what you are saying. I was functional in a couple days...took me weeks to get back to normal. I think I got it from a beer.

My ass could have blown the mortar joints out of a brick wall. Not fun. I have purification straws in all my vehicles and trail bags now. :D

eyego11

Apr 28, 2013
    Damn straight, laid me up for 6 days. This was about 20 yrs ago. Projectile vomiting, gut cramps from hell. When I wasn't puking, my ass was like a power sprayer. I hoped I would die. If you had it, you would know it. You have a cold.

NEVER EVER DRINK FROM A STREAM.

Beaver fever. Hell, it was like the Devil himself crawled up my ass and had a party.

it was like a cold earlier now my stomach is like its getting stabbed and im throwing up lul. so bloated too

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    Yo Grizzly Adams, get yourself a Katadyn Water Filter unless you prefer the taste of Iodine or Bleach.

Consider this episode a down payment on your tuition for the School of Hard Knocks.

yup...I got this lil' guy for hiking around when I don't feel like bringing water with me in a camelback...
    http://www.basspro.com/Katadyn-MyBottle-Purifier/product/10223375/

For just general water-drankin' it comes with a plastic straw to put in place of the purification/filtration unit on the inside. I usually just use it in that configuration, but have a couple filtration/purification cores to toss in if I'm heading out for a walkabout. I've also used it from time to time when the water turns brown and we get a water-warning on the door from the construction on the water tower here in severn....when I'm not getting my water from a bottle that is(flying dog ragin' bitch counts as a bottle of water right?)

Lou45

R.I.P.
    Jun 29, 2010
    Carroll County
    You probably have a bad cold.....

Water borne illnesses generally cause gastrointestinal symptoms. If you don't have nausea, vomiting and diarrhea it's a pretty good bet you didn't get what you got from the water. Suck it up.

Teratos, I told him at lunch not to order the greasy spoon daily special, tactical bunions topped with sandy vaginal discharges.:D

Hope you feel better soon. I went through a nasty projectile vomiting and butt pressure washer episode about a month ago, so be thankful you jus' gotta' cold.

pitpawten

Ultimate Member
    Jan 28, 2013

Only because I've dont way too much research on this recently, the Katadyn (and all similar) are Filters only, and not purifiers.

In order to get Viruses and similar, you will need to run your water through some sort of chem treatment (iodine, chlorine etc) after the Katadyn.

There is only 1 (that I could find) filter that also acts as a purifier: First Need XLE purifier (link).

It has a 3 step system:

1. .4 Micron Filter
    2. Charcoal filter
    3. Electrostatic polymer

Steps 1 and 2 are what all the other Filters employ. Step 3 is proprietary and exclusive to the First Need which allow it to catch Viruses and similar. They arent willing to divulge much on how it works, but from what they do release its similar to the flocculation process used in waste water treatment plants.

Just thought I'd pass along the fruit of my several days worth of research and emailing the vendors etc.

If you can find a bad review on the First Need, I'd LOVE to read it :D

PS: If you want to extend the life of the cartridge by ~2x, then most people suggest putting one of these in-line between the First Needs built-in pre-filter and the main pump body.

wbw2123

Nov 19, 2012

PS: If you want to extend the life of the cartridge by ~2x, then most people suggest putting one of these in-line between the First Needs built-in pre-filter and the main pump body.

I agree completely. I don't know of any other that can filter giardia. I have been using a First Need since 2000 until recently when I was given a UV pen kit. Still trying to get used to that one...killing everything without straining out the floaters. Both go with me for now.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Teratos, I told him at lunch not to order the greasy spoon daily special, tactical bunions topped with sandy vaginal discharges.:D

Thanks, Lou. Now I'm hungry. That sounds delicious.

CAS_Shooter

Jan 24, 2012
    I was out near Jerusalem Mills right near where I live last week. I was dumb enough to believe the water was semi ok to drink bare. I was dumb and drank about 8 fl ounces of the water from the running stream. I now am here a week later with a bad cold. Why would just a small amount of these clear water do so much bad? I'm young this shouldn't happen if only I would've boiled it.

Waterborne microbes do not bring on a cold.

CAS_Shooter

Jan 24, 2012
    Only because I've dont way too much research on this recently, the Katadyn (and all similar) are Filters only, and not purifiers.

In order to get Viruses and similar, you will need to run your water through some sort of chem treatment (iodine, chlorine etc) after the Katadyn.

There is only 1 (that I could find) filter that also acts as a purifier: First Need XLE purifier (link).

It has a 3 step system:

1. .4 Micron Filter
    2. Charcoal filter
    3. Electrostatic polymer

Steps 1 and 2 are what all the other Filters employ. Step 3 is proprietary and exclusive to the First Need which allow it to catch Viruses and similar. They arent willing to divulge much on how it works, but from what they do release its similar to the flocculation process used in waste water treatment plants.

But waster water treatment plants still apply chlorine after flocculation and before discharge to the environment.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008

It has a 3 step system:

1. .4 Micron Filter
    2. Charcoal filter
    3. Electrostatic polymer

Just thought I'd pass along the fruit of my several days worth of research and emailing the vendors etc.

ah hem....
    yup...I got this lil' guy for hiking around when I don't feel like bringing water with me in a camelback...
    http://www.basspro.com/Katadyn-MyBottle-Purifier/product/10223375/

For just general water-drankin' it comes with a plastic straw to put in place of the purification/filtration unit on the inside. I usually just use it in that configuration, but have a couple filtration/purification cores to toss in if I'm heading out for a walkabout. I've also used it from time to time when the water turns brown and we get a water-warning on the door from the construction on the water tower here in severn....when I'm not getting my water from a bottle that is(flying dog ragin' bitch counts as a bottle of water right?)

the filters are pretty useful for straining out bacteria and parasites from the water. We don't have many waterborne virus's to worry about around here, like hepatitis b. The filters don't do really anything to get rid of chemicals though. Sooo...in most of north america, filters do a decent job of removing most common pathogens, but you'll need some iodine or bleach to kill virus's. The other chemicals will still be there unless you use agents specifically to remove them(activated charcoal does a decent job for lots of things). The katadyn bottle purifier I posted is an actual purifier and works on chemicals, virus's and other pathogens. It doesn't really flow like a gatorade bottle though, you've got to squeeze and suck at the same time(shutup k31... ;))

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davidbanner

Latest threads

Top Bottom