• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ras_oscar

Ultimate Member
    Apr 23, 2014
    I got my HQL renewal notice today. Had to click a link to have them email me a code. Other than that it was cranky but figure-out-able. Paid my $20 and got an e receipt immediately.

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    I got my HQL renewal notice today. Had to click a link to have them email me a code. Other than that it was cranky but figure-out-able. Paid my $20 and got an e receipt immediately.
    Do you have a carry permit? HQL has been free with the permit, but I dunno about renewal.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    Do you have a carry permit? HQL has been free with the permit, but I dunno about renewal.
    As mentioned a bunch in this thread, per State Statute, a renewal does not qualify as a free item under 5-306(e) of the Public Safety Article.

BurkeM

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2014
    Baltimore
    I’m starting to become confused (nothing really new there) but this thread is about renewing the HQL permit, and we have multiple responses about how to enter HQL exempt status within the “HQL Renewal Form” on the state website. Why would we be “renewing” our HQL if in fact we are exempt from it in the first place?
    1704322958867.jpeg

BurkeM

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2014
    Baltimore
    While we're making sense, anyone with a W&C permit should not have a 7-day wait for new purchase either.

Seems kinda dumb that I can walk in a gun store with a concealed pistol on my belt but have to "cool off" for a week before they allow my new purchase to come home with me.
    1704323031942.jpeg

Cal68

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 4, 2014
    Montgomery County
    When was your HQL going to expire? I got mine soon after the HQL became mandatory, so I need to check the expiration date because I am guessing it is sometime this year (2024). I have not received the HQL renewal notice yet but I need to keep on top of it and not let it expire. Thanks.

Cal68

linkstate

Ultimate Member
    Jan 26, 2013
    Howard County
    When was your HQL going to expire? I got mine soon after the HQL became mandatory, so I need to check the expiration date because I am guessing it is sometime this year (2024). I have not received the HQL renewal notice yet but I need to keep on top of it and not let it expire. Thanks.

Cal68

10 years from the date on your card.

JohnnyE

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 18, 2013
    MoCo
    I just completed my renewal a short while ago. I needed to email MSP to get a registration code because I had no nope of recalling my PW. Their reply email came within a few hours and I reset my PW and moved forward.

It takes a bit of time to plow through several 4473-style questions before getting to the payment screen. While MSP's site isn't as user friendly as Amazon, it's no too bad.

ras_oscar

Ultimate Member
    Apr 23, 2014
    31 march 2024 was the original HQL expiration.

Are MD FFls still required to ask for an HQL to sell a handgun? I thought the law was enjoined as unconstitutional.

Phoenix_1295

Creature of Life and Fire
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 6, 2010
    MD
    So then, if you let your HQL lapse, and then apply for one having a W&C permit, you should get it for free.

I recall reading that the free option only applied to those who never had an HQL. I remember reading it, but now trying to find it, again. When I do, I’ll post link.

I may just inquire to MSP to save time.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    I recall reading that the free option only applied to those who never had an HQL. I remember reading it, but now trying to find it, again. When I do, I’ll post link.

I may just inquire to MSP to save time.
    If it comes from MSP, without any cite to Maryland State Statute, then it is MSP doing their usual administrative over reach, and making more out of State Statute than is actually there.

Cal68

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 4, 2014
    Montgomery County
    10 years from the date on your card.
    Yes, I know that the HQL expires 10 years after it is given. What I was trying to understand is how many months before that 10 year expiry date can one expect to receive the renewal notice. I hope someone can provide me with an answer to that question. TIA.

Cal68

Baldheaded

Ultimate Member
    Jan 18, 2021
    A.A. Co.
    Yes, I know that the HQL expires 10 years after it is given. What I was trying to understand is how many months before that 10 year expiry date can one expect to receive the renewal notice. I hope someone can provide me with an answer to that question. TIA.

Cal68
    You should receive the renewal notice by email 90 days prior to the expiration date on the HQL.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom