• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ShallNotInfringe

Lil Firecracker
    Feb 17, 2013
    Today yes but in the spirit of a slippery slope, the HQL is a "pathway to ownership" and the rules can be altered at the whim of MDLEG. In the future, could a suspension of a HQL make someone a prohibited person? Based on the past actions of Maryland lawmakers, it's difficult to accept things on face value and believe that they won't get changed for their agenda.

Think of the HQL as a train ticket and grabbers like DeMarco and Frosh are the conductors. The exact destination is unknown.

Agreed. It was the original wording you had that struck a nerve. It's all good.

Recently someone's else posited that if you were in a traffic stop and found to be in possession of a handgun with no HQL, things could be bad. Which is pure bs.

The whole HQL thing is bad enough... It definitely gets the camels nose under the tent...

johnlax38

NOOB
    Nov 19, 2013
    Crofton, MD
    Got my HQL this month as well. I wish that little card trumped the paper work I had to fill out last night to start my 8 day wait period. I'd be OK with HQL if it streamlined the process. But no :|

- mobile

EL1227

R.I.P.
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 14, 2010
    And your prints go in the CRIMINAL database.

It's not hard to tie all purchases together. With or without an HQL.

True, but HQL 'enhances' their ability to do so. SB281 established funding and a database to track them via the HQL process. Prior, it was all a manual process as evidenced by the backlog (that was the MSP excuse, remember ?)

What is the timeframe between submission with an HQL and receipt vs. the timeframe of the old 7-day 'not disapproved' process ? I would venture a guess that it's 'instantaneous' except that they still enforce that 'cooling off period' BS.

ShallNotInfringe

Lil Firecracker
    Feb 17, 2013
    Got my HQL this month as well. I wish that little card trumped the paper work I had to fill out last night to start my 8 day wait period. I'd be OK with HQL if it streamlined the process. But no :|

- mobile

Can you post or PM the number range to the thousand/hundred please? For example: 4,2XX or 6,4XX. Not your number just the range.

ShallNotInfringe

Lil Firecracker
    Feb 17, 2013
    True, but HQL 'enhances' their ability to do so. SB281 established funding and a database to track them via the HQL process. Prior, it was all a manual process as evidenced by the backlog (that was the MSP excuse, remember ?)

What is the timeframe between submission with an HQL and receipt vs. the timeframe of the old 7-day 'not disapproved' process ? I would venture a guess that it's 'instantaneous' except that they still enforce that 'cooling off period' BS.

The way I understand it, they had a database of regulated firearm purchases prior to SB281 and the HQL. Not true?

I believe it's about 3 days now. There's a fair number of reasons for that, but I posit the leading reason is for the court case this month.

Ironsighter

It's "Citizen," not "Civilian"
    May 10, 2011
    Down South
    Desensitization. We are becoming so used to onerous requirements in Maryland that we think of them as "Not that hard." Meanwhile, I went with a Virginia resident to Green Top and she picked out a really nice revolver and walked out fifteen minutes later after an instant check having shown only her drivers license. That is how it should be.

I also note the work was done by a store employee as part of his normal duties. In Maryland, multiple steps, from HQL to the check itself, have to be done by a state bureaucracy. No wonder our taxes and fees are so high.

I can't wait for the next "easy" step when they apply it to long guns. They will say "after all, the process is already set up and thousands of Marylanders found it easy with which to comply."

But it isn't. Compare buying a handgun in MD with doing it as a Virginia resident and you see the true cost in time, money...and liberty.

The frog is being boiled a few comfortable degrees at a time.

ShallNotInfringe

Lil Firecracker
    Feb 17, 2013
    3XX went active on the 6th

- mobile

Really? Wow. Way less than I estimated above. So as of 1/6 there were less than 400 HQL's issued? There must be a whole lotta multiple purchasers, C&R's or exempted people making up that regulated purchase app count.

Am being totally facetious, btw, bets it's in the upper 3,XXX range. Close to the app count.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Really? Wow. Way less than I estimated above. So as of 1/6 there were less than 400 HQL's issued? There must be a whole lotta multiple purchasers, C&R's or exempted people making up that regulated purchase app count.

I am also surprised by that number.

I spoke with at least 3 people this week who told me they were looking to buy their first handgun. When I told them what they had to do for their HQL, you could see by their body language it wasn't going to happen. :rolleyes:

CarlosM

Mar 12, 2013
    They restarted the numbers. It looks like at the beginning of the year they go back to 1.

Gbh

Ultimate Member
    Nov 25, 2012
    They restarted the numbers. It looks like at the beginning of the year they go back to 1.

That could explain the person last night at a gun shop that just received his and told me it was in the 100 range.

ShallNotInfringe

Lil Firecracker
    Feb 17, 2013
    To stay on track, they should be issuing on average just over 7,000 HQL's per month. (65,980/9) There's only 9 months in FY 2014 wrt this budget item. Guess they expected a surge due to its newness.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Pureblood

Latest threads

Top Bottom