• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • giggity

Nov 8, 2013
    If you like the idea of the glock 34 they maybe you could check out the newly released glock 34 MOS incase you wanted to add an optic later on. S&W also makes an optic ready M&P called the M&P CORE. Might be something worth checking out.

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    Changing from 1911 to DA/SA pistol isn't an issue. Train enough with both and grip recognition will allow accurate shooting with either pistol. I used to do it all the time and never had a transition problem from pistol to pistol. DA first shot to SA subsequent shots won't be an issue as well as long as you train intelligently -i.e. doing more than spraying lead and copper.

What is the greatest issue for me was manual safety manipulation on some SA/DA auto pistols from the holster. This is because of the safety's placement on the pistol. Some practice and trial and error will allow you to achieve good safety manipulation from the holster. Or for range and match shooting most of those types of pistols are safe when utilizing a hammer down, thumb safety off DA first shot (draw purpose). You would need to determine a pistol is safe with hammer down, thumb safety off before you select it if you decide on this type of shooting.

FWIW, I used to shoot competition with both types of pistol in respective classes. The 1911 a 45 and the other a 9x19. Best of both worlds. Also, a 9x19 1911 is way cool also.

rtruhn

Sep 12, 2013
    Gwynn Oak
    Rtruhn: I've had a 229 .40 in the past I shot it well but some of the other guns actually feel more natural in my hands. Nice setup you have on yours but are those kits as accurate as they were out of the box as single caliber set up?
    I honestly haven't shot much .40 or .357 SIG from this platform, but I hadn't noticed any issues, and the 9mm seems very consistent to me. In my anecdotal evidence and that of a few friends, these caliber exchange kits are rock-solid on the P220-style platform (including the P226 and the P229).

Winterskies

Jan 3, 2015
    I honestly haven't shot much .40 or .357 SIG from this platform, but I hadn't noticed any issues, and the 9mm seems very consistent to me. In my anecdotal evidence and that of a few friends, these caliber exchange kits are rock-solid on the P220-style platform (including the P226 and the P229).

Interesting but you know how you have had a great sandwhich for the first time and then kept eating it day after day it just becomes a normal sandwhich... :innocent0

That is how i feel about the Sig 9mms. Just want to try something new. The only one that was the exception was the p320 with the modular striker setup.

rtruhn

Sep 12, 2013
    Gwynn Oak
    Interesting but you know how you have had a great sandwhich for the first time and then kept eating it day after day it just becomes a normal sandwhich... :innocent0

That is how i feel about the Sig 9mms. Just want to try something new. The only one that was the exception was the p320 with the modular striker setup.
    I get you. I'm not staying married to that platform, and kind of enjoying the courtship w/ Glocks and HK at the moment. It'd be unfair to dictate abstinence/neglect for the safe queen.

And now that I've beaten that analogy into the ground...

Winterskies

Jan 3, 2015
    I get you. I'm not staying married to that platform, and kind of enjoying the courtship w/ Glocks and HK at the moment. It'd be unfair to dictate abstinence/neglect for the safe queen.

And now that I've beaten that analogy into the ground...

:lol2: it was good to see you understood.

rico903

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    OP-the HK P30 is at the high end of your budget but probably one of the most comfortable hand guns out there. Comes with 3 back straps I believe. The CZ P-01 is not the same as the SP01. It is smaller and has a smaller grip frame. Check with 2A Sales since they are stocking CZ's and see if they have one. You are welcome to try mine if you would like. If you get a full sized CZ with the Alumna grips it will be very slim but they can get a little slippery if you sweat a lot. I also have a CZ Shadow Target you can try as well. Nothing wrong with a 9MM 1911 either. much of this just depends on if you want steel or poly. I haven't tried the newer Glocks but with adjustable back straps they may fill your needs. The Springfield XDS in 9MM is a handy little gun also.

Feb 28, 2013
    My wife is waiting on her card now.

I wanted a better handgun for her than that damn ol' little snub nose .357 mag revolver, preferably in 9mm. She seems to like the Glock 19 at the moment.

OrbitalEllipses

Ultimate Member
    Jul 18, 2013
    DPR of MoCo
    If you've got a $1000 budget for a 9mm, definitely consider the Sig p226 and the H&K P30 as well.

Definitely skip the P30 - the way to go with a sub $1K 9mm HK would be the VP9 which has the same ergos and a much better trigger. Though honestly you can find most of their pistols under $1K right now aside from some of the Tactical models.

Immersion

You have that power too
    Oct 10, 2013
    Libtardistan
    VP9 seems really nice for the out-of-the-box performance and grip adjustments. Would really come down to whether or not you want to customize the gun to your needs. If so, I would have to say there are so many options out there for Glocks it's pretty ridiculous.

501st

Ultimate Member
    Jun 16, 2011
    Budget is under 1000 but most of the guns 700-1000 don't seem to impress me that much more than the 600-700 range in 9mm.

Dependability
    Accuracy
    Capacity

I think my list of maybe's covers all of them. I have small hands so the choice for a 1911 and the midsize 9mms. I was actually thinking about the Sig P320 but the fullsize was the only one I tried at a LGS and it seemed a tad to fat for my liking.

About the SP-01 I guess I should do more reading on it. Most of the review I found were for the CZ 75.

PPQ meets all those requirements.

Option of 15 or 17 round magazines.

Seems to be the most accurate standard production polymer pistol.

Reviews/impressions from media/owners has been positive and Walther has a good reputation for manufacturing quality firearms.

You have adjustable backstraps to account for different sized hands.

Grip texture is good enough to allow for a good grip without being uncomfortable.

You also have the option of choosing a paddle or button mag release depending on your preference.

Buy with confidence.

BoxersRock

Rumble Stumble Bumble
    Jan 10, 2015
    Maryland
    My two cents....get the glock. No, when you pull it out at the range no ones gonna oooohhhh and ahhh over it....when you clean it you will though. When you pull out your wallet after the purchase you wont cry....when you pull the trigger its gonna go bang. After add on market is great, holster options awesome. And most importantly...this is your first pistol youll need to practice....use that savings for ammo.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    I think it would be tough to go wrong with a Glock if you like to get a lot of aftermarket stuff - it's plentiful and cheap. It also has a fantastic reputation for reliability over decades of use the world over.

However, with that said, most (all?) of us are never going to see combat in the burbs of Baltimore or the Maryland countryside, and for many people, getting aftermarket mags is going to be a "2 or 3 and done" proposition. Sure, you'll save some bucks when you buy them if you have a Glock, but in the long run is it really going to matter?

I think that for the folks who like to tinker and accessorize, a Glock is absolutely the best way to go, but that has never been me. I have a stock Ruger 10/22 with only 2 mags for goodness sakes!

For me, I'd want something a little sexier than a Glock. One of my first choices is a Sig sp2022 - the bastard child of the Sig lineup. Marginally less expensive than a Glock, but a whole lot cooler IMO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    dracula

Latest threads

Top Bottom