• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rwatson

Feb 7, 2012
    Baltimore, MD
    I have a question for any LEO's that may be able to offer any insight on getting a permit issued. With a recent string of robberies in downtown near UMD and a datacenter I constantly visit directly outside of Lexington market, they want me to apply for a permit. My direct question is ~ would me wheeling thousands of dollars of equipment to and from the datacenter / lexington garage be G&S. I have had to hoof servers and other appliances through the market area and I am constantly being eye f**ked by everyone standing around with the "oooh whats the white boy have" feeling. Obviously work would vouche for the need for me as they have already agreed. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    Protecting expensive equipment? Sure, that will work, especially if your employer "requires" you to carry.

Just protecting your lilly white azz,..... nope, you'd be screwed like the rest of us.

rwatson

Feb 7, 2012
    Baltimore, MD
    Yea, that's why I never applied before. Not only equipment, but the equipment I'm handling is a new electronic healthcare records system we have built so there is a lot of sensitive material involved as well. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't wasting time or money before proceeding.

Thanks for the response.

Don H

Ultimate Member
    Jan 17, 2013
    Hazzard County
    Application Question

Question on application:
    What do I put under "Additional Documents Required per Handgun Permit Category (p. 1 and 2), Personal Protection (f) if I don't have any documented evidence of threats? Is there no sense in applying if I don't qualify?

HeatSeeker

Ultimate Member
    Jun 18, 2012
    Maryland
    Question on application:
    What do I put under "Additional Documents Required per Handgun Permit Category (p. 1 and 2), Personal Protection (f) if I don't have any documented evidence of threats? Is there no sense in applying if I don't qualify?
    If you don't have any documents to back up your G&S(notarized witness statements, court documents, proof of assault or injury, etc) then do not waste your time.......or you will need to be a Doctor, business owner, politically connected, etc.

HeatSeeker

Ultimate Member
    Jun 18, 2012
    Maryland
    I could have ignored you like everyone else. Do a little research for yourself, you will see my answer is 100% truth.

No normal citizen has received a permit in MD. You will see this is what our fight is all about, good and substantial is msp's way of rationing permits.

Please visit Marylandshallissue.org

Thanks
    I consider myself to be a normal citizen and I have a MD permit. It was not easy though. So the answer is not really 0%, but close. You will just need to have what they(MSP) consider to be a good and substantial reason. The problem is that what many of us are sure is G&S the MSP does not share our certainty.

dlmcbm

Ultimate Member
    Mar 5, 2011
    Sabillasville, Md.
    when I went for my interview (i had self defense as reason) he ask if I had any threats. I started to answer him and he stopped me to ask if they were documented by the police. I said no and he replied not to even worry about it then. I figured they would not go far but I had to try.

Don H

Ultimate Member
    Jan 17, 2013
    Hazzard County
    Yes, after further reading I kind of figured that was the case. Hopefully things will change for the better.
    Thanks for the replies everyone. When the laws change I will apply.

rambling_one

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 19, 2007
    Bowie, MD
    Had lunch with an old school buddy the other day. Naturally the conversation turned to MD handgun permits. He pulled out his - expired in 2005. Reason: Realtor.

Now, while I'm glad that folks like him are successful, the rationale behind issuing to a realtor and not others who are out and about day and night is simply baffling.

dlmcbm

Ultimate Member
    Mar 5, 2011
    Sabillasville, Md.
    Fist off this....
    Join MSI, SAF, and get involved with your legislators!

Welcome aboard.

then

Does the 75 dollar cost at livescan just take care of their cost or also MSP cost?

the cost of the livescan very depending on location. When you submit your application to MSP you have to include a check for $75 for application fee to them. That fee and the livescan fee are separate.

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    Yea, that's why I never applied before. Not only equipment, but the equipment I'm handling is a new electronic healthcare records system we have built so there is a lot of sensitive material involved as well. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't wasting time or money before proceeding.

Thanks for the response.

I've been watching this for years. If you can spare the application money, and are willing to take the time; I think you have a very good chance. First some good news: MDSP has been returning applications (and checks) to those with no 'good and substantial' reason. But I believe you do meet their secret criteria (money). Your best bet is get your company to write you a letter speaking to how valuable and important/sensitive that data and equipment is. How if it were lost/stolen there would be irrevocable harm to Maryland citizens privacy, etc. even better if your employers will put in language that they want you armed. 'Guards' get permits all the time.

Now the bad news, last I heard, they were still being forced to put stupid restrictions on the back, so you may be limited to only being legal while 'on the job'. Keep a company laptop in your car. ;)

Good luck and please let me know how it goes, I advise people all the time and just want to help.

Merlin

Ultimate Member
    Dec 31, 2009
    Carroll County, Maryland

Thanks for the response.

Just roll the dice and try. I have a theory that when/if people have any G&S at all right now I think the MSP have lowered the bar so they can show the court system how many they do approve. This may go to SCOTUS and I think they are trying to build a better track record then they had in the past.

Merlin

Ultimate Member
    Dec 31, 2009
    Carroll County, Maryland
    I've been watching this for years. If you can spare the application money, and are willing to take the time; I think you have a very good chance. First some good news: MDSP has been returning applications (and checks) to those with no 'good and substantial' reason. But I believe you do meet their secret criteria (money). Your best bet is get your company to write you a letter speaking to how valuable and important/sensitive that data and equipment is. How if it were lost/stolen there would be irrevocable harm to Maryland citizens privacy, etc. even better if your employers will put in language that they want you armed. 'Guards' get permits all the time.

Now the bad news, last I heard, they were still being forced to put stupid restrictions on the back, so you may be limited to only being legal while 'on the job'. Keep a company laptop in your car. ;)

Good luck and please let me know how it goes, I advise people all the time and just want to help.

The problem with bringing the company into the loop is that they may feel if they support this they are taking on a liability they don't have at this time

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    I have a question for any LEO's that may be able to offer any insight on getting a permit issued. With a recent string of robberies in downtown near UMD and a datacenter I constantly visit directly outside of Lexington market, they want me to apply for a permit. ... Obviously work would vouche for the need for me as they have already agreed. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Sounds like his employers are on board with regard to liability and supporting his application.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    GD-3

Latest threads

Top Bottom