• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gmhowell

Not Banned Yet
    Nov 28, 2011
    Monkey County
    Similar to expectations that every photo of a new gun also show feet, I recommend that any video of a home gunsmithing project be filmed in a kitchen :D I'm looking forward to the how to make your shotgun barrel smaller series using hacksaws.

Kitchen? The best place to do precision work is the bathroom. There's a nice stool, and if you sit facing the wall, you have a workbench at the perfect height. And best of all, if you get the urge in the middle of a delicate procedure, you don't have to go anywhere.

mopar92

Official MDS Court Jester
    May 5, 2011
    Taneytown
    Yeah I saw a video on YouTube once. Anyone know how to make a bolt action machine gun? Without the NFA paperwork?

Yoshi

Invictus
    Jun 9, 2010
    Someplace in Maryland
    Although I think this is a good idea, there are aspects that cause me concern.

First, I "refuse" to work on any of my firearms. This is for a couple of reasons:
    - I dont know enough...
    - And, I don't know enough...

Don't get me wrong, "minor" mods are acceptable, but there's a reason why there are gunsmiths. YMMV.

PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    EEEKK!! i paid a lot less for the gun, its not a big deal.

Figured as much out of this thread. :rolleyes:

1) YOU can't work on your own stuff (stock answer for 80% of the things that would be posted)

2) If I do agree to even look at it, it will only be with a deposit that exceeds the value of the gun (so, don't bring your junk in) and/or, I have a 9 month backlog of AR's and $3K dollar 1911's I'm currently working on.

tdt91

I will miss you my friend
    Apr 24, 2009
    Abingdon
    Yeah, we need a special moderator because of liability. :rolleyes:
    If that was the case then half the stuff posted on here wouldn't be allowed.

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    Count me in for support as I just got a bluing kit and have never done it before.

Not looking for professional results just a little clean up.

Huckleberry

No One of Consequence
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 19, 2007
    Severn & Lewes
    Most tune up work is more armor level work then custom gunsmithing.

Anybody can handfit most parts given patience guiding a steady eye and hand.

Knowledge is the key and reading Jerry Kuhnhausen's shop maunals is the place to start before working on any of your pistols.

Jerry Dunlap in the AGI Videos is another good reference but be don't fooled that AGI or any homestudy gunsmithing course is better than a real life hands on training like an accredit school, NRA course, Mfgr's Armor's Course or learning from a master gunsmith.

This could be a very fun and interesting thread.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    It's a neat concept and I'd be interested in seeing where it goes.

Before joining here, I had to learn, and then unlearn once I got here, most of the things I'd picked up on my own. Not because I was doing things completely wrong, but there was a better/easier way of accomplishing that task.

Having someone skilled as a 'smith (regardless of who it is) to consult and kind of look over our shoulder so to speak, would definitely be a good idea.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Yeah, we need a special moderator because of liability. :rolleyes:
    If that was the case then half the stuff posted on here wouldn't be allowed.

We cant post news articles from threats of legal action against Don. Legally Don CAN have people post certain material but he is playing it SAFE because fighting a legal battle costs money even if you did nothing wrong.

Put up a Gunsmithing Section and it can without a proper eye for whats safe and whatnot can be dangerous if someone gets hurt for Don if someone decides to Lawyer up. Same goes with reloading, yet we have no one looking at that section.

I know why your panties are in a bunch, you are thinking it would be me, well guess what, it WOULDNT AND WONT BE ME, so stop getting your feelings hurt.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Figured as much out of this thread. :rolleyes:

1) YOU can't work on your own stuff (stock answer for 80% of the things that would be posted)

2) If I do agree to even look at it, it will only be with a deposit that exceeds the value of the gun (so, don't bring your junk in) and/or, I have a 9 month backlog of AR's and $3K dollar 1911's I'm currently working on.

I only tell people things like "You shouldnt do that" on certain things because it means it is hightly advanced work, requires special tools/machinery/gauges. If someone asks HOW to do something complex and I KNOW its complex it means people should probaly heed the advice. If they go forward, its their gun to take the risk with.

My experience with those guns FPS asked about tells me Ill be in the gun all day making it right. I dont work for free and Im not a charity. I give honest feedback on what reasonable service times are for work I know how to perform.

My backlog isnt 9 months but I do tell people what things really cost to get done right. If you bring me a rusted old beater with worn parts, sure Ill fix it. I can fix anything but are you willing to PAY to get it done right and looks good? I dont do half ass work, I dont give half ass advice. Yet you are just rambling about things you have no clue about. Those that have had me do work will tell you Im fair and honest. If someone desent use my services no skin off my back, I have enough demand for my services to last a LONG time.

CronusTRD

Creeper
    Mar 1, 2007
    Wives love the smell of duracoat coming from the kitchen oven...

It's easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Liability? Please...

There are tons of automotive sites with user-posted tutorials that show you how to change your brakes, adjust suspension, etc. To date, none of them have gotten sued because some yahoo messes up and takes out a busload of nuns.

I'd love to see more tech and custom gun fab/work, and less which over-the-counter bolt-on should I buy.

Cai

Jul 5, 2011
    Poolsville
    I only tell people things like "You shouldnt do that" on certain things because it means it is hightly advanced work, requires special tools/machinery/gauges. If someone asks HOW to do something complex and I KNOW its complex it means people should probaly heed the advice. If they go forward, its their gun to take the risk with.

My experience with those guns FPS asked about tells me Ill be in the gun all day making it right. I dont work for free and Im not a charity. I give honest feedback on what reasonable service times are for work I know how to perform.

My backlog isnt 9 months but I do tell people what things really cost to get done right. If you bring me a rusted old beater with worn parts, sure Ill fix it. I can fix anything but are you willing to PAY to get it done right and looks good? I dont do half ass work, I dont give half ass advice. Yet you are just rambling about things you have no clue about. Those that have had me do work will tell you Im fair and honest. If someone desent use my services no skin off my back, I have enough demand for my services to last a LONG time.

This right here is why if I ever need work done I am going to this guy right here! It is rare to have an upfront no bull**** answer to anythng these days!

mopar92

Official MDS Court Jester
    May 5, 2011
    Taneytown
    This right here is why if I ever need work done I am going to this guy right here! It is rare to have an upfront no bull**** answer to anythng these days!

He's worth it. Trust me. Wait and expense be damned.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    He's worth it. Trust me. Wait and expense be damned.

Agreed, Chad hasn't had the misfortune of having to work on anything I've facked up so far, but if I was to have ANYONE unfack one of my guns, it'd be him.

I'd just have to bribe him first, to keep him from putting it on the forum..., got to save what little dignity I have left you know.

HT4

Dum spiro spero.
    Jan 24, 2012
    Bethesda
    What a strange coincidence!

I just came into the "Comments and Suggestions" forum for the first time to make exactly this suggestion. When I posted this thread ( http://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=79061 ), there really wasn't a good place to do it. I am also in the process of rehabbing/action smoothing/trigger job a beat to sh*t Voere Shikar that has not been fired in 35+ years. Thinking about a write-up of the process, and this would be the perfect place.

As an semi-experienced home tinkerer, I would love a forum to discuss projects and seek the advice of those with more knowledge/experience.

PS - Yes, Kimber's suck... an $750 lesson (used gun) for me. :sad20: A nice trigger is swell, but only goes so far for the least reliable handgun I own. :( I like it too much to get rid of, but it will always be a safe/range queen.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ObsidianCC

Latest threads

Top Bottom