• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Traveler

Lighten up Francis
    Jan 18, 2013
    AA County
    I don't have the experience a lot of people on this forum have, but from the few shotgun matches I have participated in, it seemed like there were always reliability issues with 870s and Mossberg 930s. Mostly FTEs... I have never owned either (I do have shooting buddies that have owned both), so just my two cents. I hope you enjoy whatever you end up getting!

Must be firing crap ammo or not cleaning that 930 properly. The several hours of research I did on forums was overwhelmingly positive. Mine shoots like a dream.

Song Dog

Jan 2, 2013
    Eastern Shore -Delmarva
    Another GREAT defense shotgun is the Winchester model 12 :thumbsup: so many good used out there can be had for almost less than a 870 Tac model.
    The mag tube holds 6 + 1 in the chamber, the trigger can be held down and slam fired too by just pumping the forearm. The take down feature is also an advantage when transporting as the barrel front assembly un-screws from the receiver/stock.

Stevie Boy

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    Naples, FL and Ocean Pines, MD
    i have a rem 870 (28" barre), what can i do or add to make it more tactical for home defence?

Just buy a second barrel. Check the Remington website for replacement barrels and note the model number and do a google search. You can find an 18" barrel for, say, $110 to $130ish. Pop the 28" off and pop on the 18". Voila!

Not sure what it costs to cut down a barrel but I don't expect it's much cheaper than that. Plus, now you'd have, in effect, two shotguns.

fleaman64

Ultimate Member
    May 12, 2011
    Just buy a second barrel. Check the Remington website for replacement barrels and note the model number and do a google search. You can find an 18" barrel for, say, $110 to $130ish. Pop the 28" off and pop on the 18". Voila!

Not sure what it costs to cut down a barrel but I don't expect it's much cheaper than that. Plus, now you'd have, in effect, two shotguns.

$0 cost with a hacksaw!:D

SalemCat

Jan 10, 2013
    Maverick 88 here. No frills and cheap. Looks cheap too, but seems solid enough. Bought it at Dicks on sale for very little cash. I plan on buying another the next time they go on sale to keep out in the workshop.

This is a good link on the Maverick 88 http://www.maverickarms.com/pages/88security.htm

The 88 is supposed to be interchangeable with the Mossberg 500.

I don't own either, but had my eye on the 31046 with 8+1 Shell capacity.

The 8+1 capacity may be an issue depending on where you live or what your License is. Many locales will place a limit of 5+1 on many Licenses or FID.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    This is a good link on the Maverick 88 http://www.maverickarms.com/pages/88security.htm

The 88 is supposed to be interchangeable with the Mossberg 500.

I don't own either, but had my eye on the 31046 with 8+1 Shell capacity.

The 8+1 capacity may be an issue depending on where you live or what your License is. Many locales will place a limit of 5+1 on many Licenses or FID.

Tis blasphemy to speak shotgun and FID/FOID in Maryland. Where are you from anyway?

SalemCat

Jan 10, 2013
    Tis blasphemy to speak shotgun and FID/FOID in Maryland. Where are you from anyway?

Greetin's from the Commonwealth of Mass, which is one liberal hellhole.

Sometimes I just like to wander ..... so's I can make a fool of myself in more 'en one State.

Sorry fer being dum as a brick.

hvymax

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 19, 2010
    Dentsville District 28
    i have a rem 870 (28" barre), what can i do or add to make it more tactical for home defence?

Get an 18-20" barrel, a mag extension and a light and mount. For HD a light is the difference between shooting your kid who you thought was in bed or a genuine threat. Single bulb/led lights usually have a defined center which usually makes a lovely aiming point at close range.

Beemer

Sep 12, 2012
    I bought a used Remington 870 and it had a turkey barrel on it which is short and I didnt feel a need to cut it down. Used the black duct tape and taped a nice strong but small LED flashlight to it and bought rds of 00 Buckshot and some rifled slugs and one of those ammo sleeves to put on the stock. Now I have the perfect compliment to my handguns and it serves for critter control around the property.

I found it used but in great shape without rust or scratches for only $200 at a local gun shop.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    Greetin's from the Commonwealth of Mass, which is one liberal hellhole.

Sometimes I just like to wander ..... so's I can make a fool of myself in more 'en one State.

Sorry fer being dum as a brick.

No prob, hope you took it mostly in jest :)

To the east, west and south of MD's population centers, hunting has been a way of life that attracted people to the population centers from the far reaches of the world. Shotguns are practically scared and even most of the anti's are afraid to touch significant regulation of them. This year's commotion is practically the first time they've went after any scatter guns in any significant way.

Hopefully they are scarring up more opposition than they expected :party29:

SalemCat

Jan 10, 2013
    No prob, hope you took it mostly in jest :)

Shotguns are practically scared

No, NO. The Shotguns aren't "scared", they're SACRED.

Not one to harp on spelling mistakes, but I just had to stick up for the reputation of scatterguns, everywhere :).

SalemCat

Jan 10, 2013
    I have to agree on the maverick 88
    Love it and it was VERY reasonably priced

If memory serves me, the Maverick 88 31023 was just $175 at Dicks during Black Friday 2012. But they probably had only 2 or 3 per store.

Even at the going rate of $225 the 31023 is a deal, but hard to find. The 31046, which hold two more shells, even harder to find.

But I think things will ease up this summer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Markmcgrrr

Latest threads

Top Bottom