• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • joemac

Ultimate Member
    Mar 17, 2010
    West Point Va
    You tend to get what you pay for... This will probably cause a firestorm, but I don't find the 870 to be reliable enough for me to be willing to depend on it as a HD firearm. Just one guy's opinion though.

They are an entry level shotgun that is clear. Fit and finish could be better. Trigger is poor. But I've not heard of many breaking. The ones I know of personally and own have never had an issue through years of hard use. They are also used by the police. I don't think there is a non reliability argument to be made.

SalemCat

Jan 10, 2013
    Almost bought one but then read quite a few reviews citing weak spot welds and failure of the action to lock up.

Got an American made Maverick 88 for about the same $$$ vs Chinese made.

YMMV

Does your Maverick 88 actually say Made in USA, or Assembled in USA ?

I thought the Maverick Series were all from Mexico.

I'd sooner buy Mexican-Made than Chinese-Made, myself.

SalemCat

Jan 10, 2013
    My local Dick's has been offerring inexpensive Maverick and Savage HD Shotguns for the past couple of months. They'll get in 3 or 4, and they're gone in a couple of days. They've been asking $220 for the Maverick to $250 for the Savage.

The Savage was a 20", Pistol Grip, and Ghost Ring Sights. It was not Made in USA.

If you're looking to save a little money, in the past couple of months McDonald's had a small, red Coupon Book with a $10 Off $50 Dick's Coupon. It's not much, but $10 is $10.

JayJeweler

Jan 31, 2013
    Just picked up an 870 Express Tactical 7-shot from Walmart for 349.00
    I was told this or a Mossberg 500 for a HD shotgun as both were proven pieces.

SNovaTac

Mar 9, 2011
    Southern MD
    I don't have the experience a lot of people on this forum have, but from the few shotgun matches I have participated in, it seemed like there were always reliability issues with 870s and Mossberg 930s. Mostly FTEs... I have never owned either (I do have shooting buddies that have owned both), so just my two cents. I hope you enjoy whatever you end up getting!

NickZac

Ultimate Member
    Aug 12, 2007
    Baltimore, MD
    The 870 is the benchmark of a pump gun. The interchangeable barrels and easy to find accessories is a real plus. The Express Tactical is great but the Blackhawk edition goes a step further to add a recoil-reducing stock which IMO is worth the money (you can buy it separately as well). The Tactical model with tube extension is a plus too given it adds the capacity to 7 IIRC. The Benelli SuperNova Tactical is also a great model.

If you are willing to spend more, the automatic M2, M3, and M4 models have a great name as do the Remington 1100 tactical models. The M series reduce recoil substantially IMO through how they function.

If you haven't shot one before with a defensive round, I would consider doing so before buying. When I was debating on a long gun for home defense, I shot a few of the 3 inch mags from a Mossberg and then decided on an AR due to the controllability and higher mag capacity as the recoil was a little too much for me personally. If I had a shotgun for home defense that was a pump gun, I'd personally use the Federal Tactical Buckshot because it is lower recoil and has a very tight grouping (the Remington loads spread more).

MississippiJoe

Jul 21, 2012
    This is what I use.

IMG_20130204_120814_482_zps434ff2e1.jpg

Mossberg 500 rolling thunder

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    Weatherby has a new tactical pump shotgun imported from Turkey also. I have seen them at Gunrunners for $450. Has a grip and stock with some kind of skull based camo like design. Interesting. My current HD shotgun is a Mossberg 930 Tactical ($499 from WM). Also have a 930 JM Pro for 3-gun. As long as you don't use light recoil loads they are stone reliable so far. A 22" 930 JM Pro model just sold last night on GB for $1075. Thats about $400 over cost (mine and this one are the only ones I have seen for sale on GB as far back as early last year). My 24" model only cost me $600 +$50 shipping off GB because the guy put a BIN price on it (and I found it at work on the mid shift while everyone else in the US was asleep). He won a Benelli in his first or second match after getting the Mossberg. So far the only mod I am doing (to both 930s) is installing the factory optional raised metal safety.

goose4

Jan 6, 2013
    A little off topic, but does anyone have a good resource for tactical improvements for an older 1100?

fleaman64

Ultimate Member
    May 12, 2011
    Does your Maverick 88 actually say Made in USA, or Assembled in USA ?

I thought the Maverick Series were all from Mexico.

I'd sooner buy Mexican-Made than Chinese-Made, myself.

I believe parts are made in Mexico and assembled in Texas.

Shazam

Dec 20, 2012
    Maverick 88 here. No frills and cheap. Looks cheap too, but seems solid enough. Bought it at Dicks on sale for very little cash. I plan on buying another the next time they go on sale to keep out in the workshop.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    incase

Latest threads

Top Bottom