• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BossmanPJ

Ultimate Member
    Feb 22, 2013
    Cecil County
    The alternative was a dopey Brown stooge. A literal highway to hell that would have meant me being long gone from MD by now. I'll take Hogan any day. If he simply holds the line, I consider it success considering our loopy GA and will gladly vote for him again.

Never thought he'd be our savior. But I also had a good feeling he wouldn't make things worse. Sometimes that's all you can hope for this deep in enemy turf. I voted for him and if he stays this course I'll vote to put him back in.

This! I never had an impression that he would come in... Say "screw Marylands gun laws, I'm changing them" and do anything drastic.

I believed that he would not screw anything else up and so far he has not. He is not a gun grabber as far as I know, and that is a hell of a good start compared to the last asshat.

BossmanPJ

Ultimate Member
    Feb 22, 2013
    Cecil County
    As far as I am concerned it was a great decision to vote for him and I'm happy to have done it. The alternative would have been much worse.

Slowhand

Pre-Banned
    Dec 13, 2011
    In a van, down by the river.
    :party29::party29:
    If he tried to undo gun laws it would be the kiss of death for his reelection. Brown said he was going to try and if he does they will be in I told ya so mode. He is the best thing Maryland has seen in quite a while. Give him a chance and work to change the legislature. That is our only hope. And don't forget to vote in November!

ShoreShooter

Ultimate Member
    Feb 27, 2013
    I am a pretty conservative guy, in a lot of ways that include 2A but on so many other topics as well.

I supported Hogan. I voted for him. I am glad he won.

Having said that, I am disappointed in a number of things.
    1) No support for 2A
    2) He just congratulated himself for pi$$ing money away in Baltimore
    3) He vetoed the elimination of civil forfeiture of money, an indefensible practice

I can go on but there is no point.

He is better than O'Malley, or Brown. He ain't perfect by a long shot.

BossmanPJ

Ultimate Member
    Feb 22, 2013
    Cecil County
    I'm still shocked he got such a large percentage of MoCo votes.

Same here. But when O Dum Dum screwed up some many things, and made so many new asinine taxes it got noticed by all. Not enough noticed it, but enough to make a difference apparently.

Either that or residents really didn't like Brown's personality.

Gryphon

inveniam viam aut faciam
    Patriot Picket
    Mar 8, 2013
    Is that a condemnation of Hogan or 'his base'?

Hogan - he is supposed to be the leader. His base are mere minions long denied by his staunchest opposition. Lost opportunity is lost. BTW, I like Hogan, supported his election, want to see him do well, but will hold him accountable to earn further financial support and more importantly my vote.

Klunatic

Ultimate Member
    Feb 28, 2011
    Montgomery Cty
    If he can fix the gerrymandering then we might have a chance of turning the legislature to Republican. Then we can really change MD.

EL1227

R.I.P.
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 14, 2010
    Hogan is in the news almost every single day. http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/maryland/politics/bs-md-hogan-session-20160106-story.html

Thankfully, it's all about the things he did run on, specifically taxes, saving Maryland, and getting businesses to return to Maryland.

I know a lot of (real serious) Democrats that are liking him, or looking over him, because he is 'fixing' a lot of Marylands problems.

You are right in that Hogan didn't run on gun issues; but we knew if he won he wouldn't make our situation worse. And in retrospect, he's done a lot to help us and has been consistent that he's not doing it as a 'pro-gun' politician, but as an average citizen who happens to believe in due-process, and the Constitution.

I think that a good showing on #2ATuesday will go a long way in garnering support from Hogan and bolstering distrust in Miller, Busch, and the rest of O'Malley sycophants, who are generally hanging their heads in shame due to his poor gun-control 2016 campaign platform showing. While much of the gun-rights activism is focused nationally, that momentum has to be to our advantage in convincing fence sitting voters in Maryland to re-elect Hogan and rout the remaining antis come next election.

Now's not the time to accept false compromises, but we also can't afford to lose ground by forcing Hogan's hand too early.

dogbone

Ultimate Member
    Nov 14, 2011
    GTT - Gone To Texas
    Were people here just not paying attention from 2007 to 2015 or something?

That may well be the case. I will hang my head in shame and admit to being almost totally blind to politics until O'Malley pushed through FSA 2013. It was the swift kick in the butt which woke me up. I won't be going back to sleep.

rob-cubed

In need of moderation
    Sep 24, 2009
    Holding the line in Baltimore
    If Hogan is smart, he'll play some cards very close until the end of his second term. Then do what he can to make a difference.

The fact is, as governor he can't to anything to affect laws that the GA has passed in 2013 or any other year. He can veto new laws but they'd still pass due to the majority Dem makeup. He's got Frosh as AG who would make it his mission to challenge anything he tried to do to redefine "good and substantial".

Would you rather have Brown? He is still a fiscal conservative and reflects my values, is still popular, and just might be re-elected. We need to get to work on the makeup of the GA before we expect an R governor to affect any real change to 2A. All Hogan can do is redirect some of the discussion on any issue. Even the special funding he withheld from Baltimore schools was written out of law this year by the GA, to strip him of that power next year. He's doing what he can.

Drmsparks

Old School Rifleman
    Jun 26, 2007
    PG county
    People who think that because we have a Republican governor that we're going to get gun nirvana are seriously mistaken. The Democrats control both houses of the legislature by a veto-proof margin, so even if Hogan vetoes new legislation, they can still pass it. Unlike Barack, he can't issue executive orders or presidential memoranda to undo passed law (even if he was inclined to be a dictator, which he's not). He just can't.

He's a sophomore Republican Governor in a Democratically-controlled state. The Dems are looking for ANY wedge issue they can to make him a one-term governor (see also Erlich). He doesn't have the political capital to do ANYTHING for us on 2A issues. Stop expecting it. That doesn't make him a bad governor, especially considering what he's doing on taxation, which is the real tide on which he rode into office.

Finally, I'm tired of hearing the State Police Good & Substantial thing. The MSP takes their cues on the LAW from the Maryland Attorney General's office. Considering that fervent anti-gun zealot Brian Frosh occupies that office and has surrounded himself with like-minded minions, the MSP's hands are tied when it comes to interpretation of G&S law. Short of a favorable court outcome, there is nothing the Governor or Superintendent of the MSP can do.

thank you. Well said.

RonK

Oct 10, 2015
    Indian Head, MD
    ...Thankfully, it's all about the things he did run on, specifically taxes, saving Maryland, and getting businesses to return to Maryland.
    I know a lot of (real serious) Democrats that are liking him, or looking over him, because he is 'fixing' a lot of Marylands problems.
    You are right in that Hogan didn't run on gun issues; but we knew if he won he wouldn't make our situation worse. And in retrospect, he's done a lot to help us and has been consistent that he's not doing it as a 'pro-gun' politician, but as an average citizen who happens to believe in due-process, and the Constitution.

:thumbsup: agreed

Both.

Single issue voters will end up with a radical leftist administration and Hogan will be another one-term governor...

Agree that would be the outcome...

Hogan - he is supposed to be the leader. His base are mere minions long denied by his staunchest opposition. Lost opportunity is lost. BTW, I like Hogan, supported his election, want to see him do well, but will hold him accountable to earn further financial support and more importantly my vote.

Leader and servant imho. He appears to be sticking to his word, and after just barely a year I'm willing to see how he steers the ship out of this Constitutional boneyard that is MD. But as Gryphon points out we need to hold him accountable and that is fair as long as don't expect a Heston type speech from Hogan on the steps of the State House (which might look great with the Kojak look...)

Never thought he'd be our savior. But I also had a good feeling he wouldn't make things worse. Sometimes that's all you can hope for this deep in enemy turf. I voted for him and if he stays this {apparent, see possible HPRB actions} course I'll vote to put him back in.

:thumbsup: but See my conditions added in red. (Yeah could say FTFY, but I keep hearing Fi'ty in my head when I see that...)

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    He doesn't seem to be interested in getting re-elected.

Needs to take a page from the obama playbook. Rule 'with a phone and a pen'. While he can't change the great gun-ban of 2013, there are lots of things he CAN do by instructing his appointees.

Any changes he can make on the economy and regulation side are not going to affect peoples lives in time for the next election. His refusal to throw his base a bone on the 2nd amendment stuff is going cause just enough people to stay home for Frosh or VanHollen to become the next governor.

Quite disheartening.
    You are kidding yourself. Let's say he issues a directive to change G&S, what then? He'll probably lose more middle of the road Dems that voted for him that he would pick up votes from 2A supporters. He would lose the next election in a heartbeat. He's doing what he campainged on and getting good approval ratings.
    He's trying to lower taxes and reign in runaway spending. (Both of which are damn near impossible with Mike & Mike in charge) I would love a MD Governor who is farther right than him but that's not realistic. He's winning approval from the other side. Perhaps he's finally helping some Marylanders realize just how f'ed up the other side has been running this state for so long.
    If we don't vote for him in the next election, it will be a vote for yet another POS democrat along the same lines of O'Malley, Brown, Van Hollen or any number of other Democratic maggots.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Jtlambo

Latest threads

Top Bottom