• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • endsjustifymeans

Sep 21, 2011
    Overlea/Hamilton
    Hello!

I've just recently gotten my C+R license and have just put in an order for a Mosin Nagant and a Walther P1. I haven't shot since I was a kid so I'm really excited to get back into it. Hopefully lots of range visits in my future and I'd really like to learn to hunt deer.

I hope to learn a lot from you guys and am really happy to find a site like this exists for Marylanders.

My primary interest is definitely in C+R firearms, but I do hope to get a modern shotgun for hunting purposes at some point (though I'd really like to hunt with my Mosin once I get it).

boule

Ultimate Member
    Oct 16, 2008
    Galt's Gulch
    Welcome. Let me know when you are going out hunting with your mosin - I've got a few mil-surps that I desperately want to try out on deer as well.

endsjustifymeans

Sep 21, 2011
    Overlea/Hamilton
    Welcome. Let me know when you are going out hunting with your mosin - I've got a few mil-surps that I desperately want to try out on deer as well.

Well I'm going to take the online safety course in short order... but I know, at this point, absolutely nothing about hunting. All of my family that used to hunt when I was a kid now doesn't (of course, once I take an interest in it) so I really have no one to take me out and show me the ropes.

One of the primary reasons I went in search of an online shooter community is to help me get started as a hunter.

Thanks for all the welcomes guys!

Nothinghead

Jun 29, 2011
    Severna Park
    Welcome! I may be there in Loch Raven on Saturday as well. Have you taken the hunter safety course yet? If that is the internet course you refer to, you will be hard pressed to find a field day, so I would get on that quick.

I too am in B City, in Patterson Park.

endsjustifymeans

Sep 21, 2011
    Overlea/Hamilton
    I'm going to do the internet Hunter safety internet course tonight when I get home from work... I heard the field days were problematic. Hopefully I can find something coming up relatively soon.

I just can't take the time for the multi-day course with my work schedule.

I'm in Hamilton.

Nothinghead

Jun 29, 2011
    Severna Park
    I hear you. I got lucky and took my hunters safety course online and managed to get a field day in at stoney creek fishing and hunting club. they only had half the folks whe signed up show, so maybe give them a call and see if they can make some sort of exception.

endsjustifymeans

Sep 21, 2011
    Overlea/Hamilton
    Actually there's a live course coming up next week in Annapolis that I think I can make. I'll probably do that instead.

I haven't shot since I was 14 (20 years ago), am I going to be at a drastic disadvantage for the field day since I'm so out of experience?

Nothinghead

Jun 29, 2011
    Severna Park
    Actually there's a live course coming up next week in Annapolis that I think I can make. I'll probably do that instead.

I haven't shot since I was 14 (20 years ago), am I going to be at a drastic disadvantage for the field day since I'm so out of experience?

No, not at all. The stoney Creek instructor told us that only 1 person has failed the online field day. You sit there and listen to them teach for an hour and a half or so, then go on a woods walk to practice what they taught. nothing more than a walk on a trail for a few minutes. Then they demonstarted different tree stands. Next we shot 3 rounds from a .22. didn't have to hit anything, just had to be safe. Lastly, you take the multiple choice test. 50 questions, have to ge an 80 or better. not hard. lots of us got 100's. the questions are largely common sense I felt, and as long as you listen to them during the lecture part, you should be fine.

endsjustifymeans

Sep 21, 2011
    Overlea/Hamilton
    Y'all sure know how to make a guy feel welcome. This has all been extremely helpful and massively appreciated.

This is clearly a great community, very happy to join it. Thanks again all!

Dave MP

Retired USA
    Jun 13, 2010
    Farmland, PA
    [FONT=&quot]Welcome from Dundalk!

Take a look at these links – LOTS of good info!

[/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]Range Etiquette and Staying Safe[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]Admin News and Announcements[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]Gun Rights and Legislation[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]Industry Partners[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]Maryland Ranges[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]MDS Logo Gear[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=&quot]
    Before you proceed with ordering, [/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]LOOK HERE[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=&quot]. This is important![/FONT]

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bara4033

Latest threads

Top Bottom