• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    I fail to understand the utility of striking all the "or".

Further, removing the knives and deadly weapons exclusion from lines 3 & 7, then reintroducing them in line 4, page 3, seems confusing.

I conclude that I'm supposed to be confused.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    By the way, this has nothing to do with Miller's children, or whatever. Mom's Demand is getting beaten everywhere. GA just passed campus carry (http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2016/03/daniel-zimmerman/391963/)

So they need an easy win for their donor class. Hence we get rolled.

It is a really smart idea to have a weapons free zone in prime territory for terrorist targets. All we need now is a big sign on MD targets that reads "totally defenseless shoot here." Or something.

Jim12

Let Freedom Ring
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2013
    There's a remarkable consistency to their actions: Rejection of all proposed common sense amendments to a nonsensical bill.

The worst, most dramatic effect of this bill will be to leave college students vulnerable as sacrificial lambs in a defenseless, gun-free zone. Then, instead of assigning the blame where it rightfully lies with the shooter, and with themselves for inviting it, the senseless nitwits in the MGA will call for an outright gun ban in the name of common sense. They're playing with people's lives.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    I guess it is a complete waste of breath typing to point out there is no exception for student housing and legitimate self defense purposes.

The cost of defending lawsuits should be included in the fiscal policy statement.

Rack&Roll

R.I.P
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    Bunkerville, MD
    Two new MDS members answered the call but prefer to keep their names off the books for now. Thanks Sidewalk Patriots!

I will post some interesting give and take that happened today--something that gets more interesting with each passing day. But my other commitments, including a mult-hour drive come first. Be back here later. Thanks to everyone for their interest and for keeping spirits up for these drawn out battles.

And thanks to Dark Lurker for more new signage that triggered interactions today.

Attachments

• image.jpg
      image.jpg
      106.2 KB · Views: 249

ddeanjohnson

autodidact
    Aug 21, 2010
    the House-passed bill changes law only with respect to firearms

:sad20:No deadly weapons, I guess my kids pocket knife is a no-no.

Further, removing the knives and deadly weapons exclusion from lines 3 & 7, then reintroducing them in line 4, page 3, seems confusing.

As indicated in my earlier post above, in its amended form, the bill changes the law only with respect to firearms, not other weapons. If you use the link provided by esqappellate to view the House-passed version of the bill, you will see some text in normal lower-case font, and other text in ALL CAPS. The lower-case text is current law, the ALL CAPS language is the new law that the bill would create.

Current law says, "A person may not carry or possess a firearm, knife, or deadly weapon of any kind on public school property." This has been understood to apply to public elementary and secondary schools. The bill would establish a new prohibition that applies only to "the property of a public institution of higher education," and that new prohibition applies only to "a firearm."

EL1227

R.I.P.
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 14, 2010
    JMHO ...

ALL Maryland colleges are already gun-free zones. This bill does nothing but codify a target rich environment.

If anyone's kid is murdered today on a MD gun-free campus, there is probably legal recourse to sue the campus administration for not providing adequate security to prevent such an occurrence.

Once the state codifies, you can't sue the state. Follow the money.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    As indicated in my earlier post above, in its amended form, the bill changes the law only with respect to firearms, not other weapons. If you use the link provided by esqappellate to view the House-passed version of the bill, you will see some text in normal lower-case font, and other text in ALL CAPS. The lower-case text is current law, the ALL CAPS language is the new law that the bill would create.

Current law says, "A person may not carry or possess a firearm, knife, or deadly weapon of any kind on public school property." This has been understood to apply to public elementary and secondary schools. The bill would establish a new prohibition that applies only to "the property of a public institution of higher education," and that new prohibition applies only to "a firearm."

But it still does not have any exception for legitimate self defense purposes in housing.

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009

Thanks for the elucidation. It's understandable now, even as it remains incomprehensible from a "common sense" viewpoint.

esqappellate

President, MSI
    Feb 12, 2012

That's correct. They actually struck out prior language that would have banned all weapons and knives on college property. And added a requirement to post signs but note that the absence of a sign is not a defense

Straightshooter

Ultimate Member
    Aug 28, 2010
    Baltimore County
    ALL Maryland colleges are already gun-free zones. This bill does nothing but codify a target rich environment.

If anyone's kid is murdered today on a MD gun-free campus, there is probably legal recourse to sue the campus administration for not providing adequate security to prevent such an occurrence.

Once the state codifies, you can't sue the state. Follow the money.
    The real problem is now the gun prohibition is in the forme of policies, not laws. Get caught with a gun today while on campus or just driving through and you'll be told to leave. After this law is passed, you will be subject to arrest.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

esqappellate

President, MSI
    Feb 12, 2012
    The real problem is now the gun prohibition is in the forme of policies, not laws. Get caught with a gun today while on campus or just driving through and you'll be told to leave. After this law is passed, you will be subject to arrest.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

That's exactly right. Punishable with up to 3 years in jail and a lifetime prohibited status. And if the ammo enhancement bill passes, then subject to increased jail time if your gun was loaded.

Z_Man

Ultimate Member
    May 23, 2014
    Harford County
    the goal of the MGA is to create a state where the MSP or the local sheriff/police officers can find anyone to be a criminal at ANY time. our "freedom" will be at the pleasure of the heads of the MSP, and the government. it will be impossible to leave your home and not be a criminal. this is the end game.

DC-W

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    ️‍
    Frankly, I think empathy has eroded any chance of filling Annapolis up with gun owners like in 2013.

Folks have either gotten what they wanted, moved out of state, or just flat said, "fuggem" and are doing whatever without regard for the law anyways.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Wolfloc22

Latest threads

Top Bottom