HB-122 Assault weapons and Detachable Magazines - Possession and Transport by Nonresi

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ragnar

Ultimate Member
    May 7, 2013
    Berkeley Springs, WV
    This wouldn't permit a new state resident with post-10/1 banned guns to register and keep them, would it? What's the chance of getting something like that?

Forget it. I know the answer.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    This wouldn't permit a new state resident with post-10/1 banned guns to register and keep them, would it? What's the chance of getting something like that?

Forget it. I know the answer.

No, it doesn't, and slim and none at this point.

SpecialJ79

Feb 20, 2013
    SoMD
    So being non residents would military folks be able to bring post 10/1 purchases if they get stationed here?

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    So being non residents would military folks be able to bring post 10/1 purchases if they get stationed here?

No.

Being non-residents (assuming they do not establish MD residency) they are exempt from the requirement to register any regulated firearms.

But as the law stands now, you may not bring any banned firearm into the state.

Banned being a formerly regulated long gun that was purchased on or after Oct 1, 2013.

Is this likely at some point to bite some unsuspecting military member? ABSOLUTELY

SpecialJ79

Feb 20, 2013
    SoMD
    No.

Being non-residents (assuming they do not establish MD residency) they are exempt from the requirement to register any regulated firearms.

But as the law stands now, you may not bring any banned firearm into the state.

Banned being a formerly regulated long gun that was purchased on or after Oct 1, 2013.

Is this likely at some point to bite some unsuspecting military member? ABSOLUTELY

I understand what the law says now. I was trying to start a discussion about whether the bill quoted in this thread will allow military folks to bring certain things into the state. As you stated if they don't establish residency they are non residents. And this bill allows possession for non residents.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    It isn't clear.

(10) POSSESSION OR TRANSPORT BY A NONRESIDENT OF THE STATE OF AN ASSAULT WEAPON OR A DETACHABLE MAGAZINE THAT HAS BEEN LEGALLY PURCHASED OUTSIDE THE STATE FOR THE PURPOSE OF:
    (I) USING THE ASSAULT WEAPON OR DETACHABLE MAGAZINE TO PARTICIPATE IN AN ORGANIZED MILITARY ACTIVITY, A TARGET SHOOT, FORMAL OR INFORMAL TARGET PRACTICE, OR A SPORT SHOOTING EVENT;

It will depends on how they interpret this.

I can see them only allowing you to bring them in for a specific event, then taking them in back out of the state, based on the wording.

But they don't specify.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Millebar

Latest threads

Top Bottom