• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • navycraig

Ultimate Member
    Aug 3, 2009
    St. Mary's
    While this is pretty much a straight forward issue and a very worthwhile effort, I do think that the sticky booger on the end of our fingers will be defining our apprehended danger.
    Some good ideas have been put forward, but it sure would be nice if our friend Jack McCauley would come and provide us with some pointers of what may work in our favor.

Gryphon

inveniam viam aut faciam
    Patriot Picket
    Mar 8, 2013
    I believe the key is to sufficiently tap the new Superintendent's conscience such that he is motivated to exercise the authority he unquestionably possesses to drop the old standard in favor of a somewhat relaxed one. What that is only he knows, but I remain hopeful that your heartfelt, genuine and well thought out applications will be persuasive. The old cases condoning the prior Superintendents' schemes do not deprive the current Superintendent from implementing his own good and substantial definition. Of course even if inclined to do so, he needs Hogan's blessing.

rambling_one

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 19, 2007
    Bowie, MD
    I am just stating that other states ask if you've been denied and they may or may not investigate as to the reason. If the MSP won't give the applicant a reason for the denial, why would they give an out of state agency a reason?

I was part of the class action suit that led CT to ease its permitting rules. I was reluctant to join in initially because of this very issue. I called MSP to ask if they were willing to write a letter to CT explaining why I would be denied in MD and was curtly informed that they don't explain their actions to other issuing agencies, and that CT could read MD law for itself on the MSP's website. I went ahead with applying to CT and was issued a permit.

This question is bandied about from time to time because it's critically important to those who want out-of-state permits, but can ill afford tossing money away. In my case, the right of self defense was important enough (we travel rather extensively) to factor the cost factor into the equation.

Overboost44

6th gear
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 10, 2013
    Kent Island
    While this is pretty much a straight forward issue and a very worthwhile effort, I do think that the sticky booger on the end of our fingers will be defining our apprehended danger.
    Some good ideas have been put forward, but it sure would be nice if our friend Jack McCauley would come and provide us with some pointers of what may work in our favor.

I just finished reading the last 3 pages to see why or if his name would be mentioned. I think it would be good to run this by Jack and get his thoughts and input.

:thumbsup:

montoya32

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jun 16, 2010
    Harford Co

I think it will take some time as to what approach will be effective. I am sure once the dust settles, our direction will be clear and there will be ample support from key individuals.

rem87062597

Annapolis, MD
    Jul 13, 2012
    I just finished reading the last 3 pages to see why or if his name would be mentioned. I think it would be good to run this by Jack and get his thoughts and input.

100% this. I work in state government (not a department that would help us) and there's a set of internal processes that only someone familiar with a given department would be aware of. If you email _________ a given issue will be taken care of, and if you email _______ in another office another issue will be taken care of. As an outsider you wouldn't know that kind of information.

navycraig

Ultimate Member
    Aug 3, 2009
    St. Mary's

Jack has not posted since March 23rd. Could be he's on vacation, could be he is distancing himself from the issue, could be a lot of things. It sure would be nice to have his input though.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    anyone having a problem entering an email address in the MSP application? I keep getting an error message that it isn't a valid format.

Medshot

Jul 24, 2013
    I've heard that some people are using the OP template and going ahead with applications.
    I'd like to emphasize again that it's just a template...and if you're going to use it, at least acknowledge BBgunn as he created it.

As for going ahead and submitting...well, I suppose that bombarding the MSP, whether it be as a group or in rapid succession, is fine either way. For those of you who can do it now and want to, go for it. Plenty of people will be joining you!

Gryphon

inveniam viam aut faciam
    Patriot Picket
    Mar 8, 2013
    I suppose I can print the email address if the pdf won't accept it.

If it just keeps showing up in red - no problem - it will still print. The FAQ pages actually say that if the .pdf won't accept the email just print it with the red background and submit it. The other option is to write it in. I did hear they were looking for a QC programmer :rolleyes:

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    good to know. it was showing up in red as you describe. another funny thing is my PDF X change PDF viewer won't show the form, but Adobe Reader will.

QC is definitely needed.

jhcrab

Jun 28, 2012
    Howard Co.
    So $125-$150.

Ok, I'm in. I'll review the process the next couple of days. If someone has cliff notes on how I need to proceed, feel free to IM me. I haven't paid much attention to the particulars because I previously thought I would need training.

So if one needs training (even though I have been shooting, competing, hunting and a member of AGC for 35+ years) as I do, the cost is $350 +/-. That's more than I can gamble to lose. If SD becomes viable, then I would apply in a heartbeat, even though having to pay to obtain a Constitutional Right is appalling.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    illlocs33

Latest threads

Top Bottom