• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tdt91

I will miss you my friend
    Apr 24, 2009
    Abingdon
    There is a like new Ruger P90 in .45 cal in the classifieds that is all metal and would tame the recoil well. It's a great price as well. you could even try it out if you want.

mbz300sdl

Gone living free now!!!
    Apr 12, 2010
    South Carolina
    So, dad just came back from a business trip in vegas with some mildly chubbier pockets, and decided now might be a good time to get a pistol. Now, I know a lot of you will say a 45 is great, bud he shattered his wrist a year ago when a washing machine kinda fell on him... and took him down a flight of stairs... and he landed on his wrist...

So, while he loves a gun like a 1911, the bones aren't the strongest around anymore, so a 9mm would probably be the best. Gonna be more for target and range shooting, so a full sized would be preferable to a carry size.

Budget closer to 4ish, possibly up to 500

I kinda have a thing for the fnp9 right now, but I still like the usual glocks and sigs, but I don't think I could get a sig for 400

Sig P250 at Hafer's is 399.99 +tax and msp fee.

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    Sig 226 though my heart is very fond of the CZ75 and its variants.

Value based guns, if EAA gets the K2 on these shores and through the MD rosger that would be a great option.

Llyrin

Yankee-Rebel
    Mar 14, 2009
    Charles Co
    The P-95 was under $300 when I bought it a couple years ago from Accurate Guns & Ammo. Don't know what the price would be now, but Rugers are typically a good price on a quality firearm.

But I own 4 different Rugers, so I might be a little biased :)

Edit: corrected "own"

Last edited:

Maryland Hunter

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2008
    Used, I'd go with a XD or Glock, some to be had at a pretty good price. New, I'd say a Ruger SR9. I've had one for a couple of years and it shoots real well, very accurate and reliable. Interchangable backstraps to fit individual hands, and it's recoil is quite mild.

MH

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Presuming you mean "purchase price" of up to low-mid 400s ( not including tax, MSP fee, etc, etc ) you have huge field. At this point he and you need to make the rounds of the usual suspect gunstores ( emphasing those who stock selection of used mdse also) , or even the reviled GunShows.
    Fondle everything within price range. Somthing will feel right in his hand, and at same time have reasonably acceptable trigger . Or as starting point may decide a particular operating system strikes his fancy, to then narrow your search for price ,d "feel" . When somthing feels right , and price is ok , buy it . ( Unless known POS ) .

ObsceneJesster

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2011
    If you get a Glock, I would have him hold it first. A lot of people don't like the grip angle on them. Personally I would go with a Springfield XD9.

fivepointstar

Thank you MD-Goodbye
    Apr 28, 2008
    3rd Rock from the Sun
    So, while he loves a gun like a 1911, the bones aren't the strongest around anymore, so a 9mm would probably be the best. Gonna be more for target and range shooting, so a full sized would be preferable to a carry size.

I was thinking after meeting your dad and him liking the 1911 why not go with a 9mm in 1911 frame like Rock Island

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=219521738

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=219666185

this would be ideal for him!!

Nanook

F-notso-NG-anymore
    You can always throw in a heavier spring on most of the models above to eat some of the felt recoil a bit too. It's a mix-and-match thing to get ammo and spring that works well together, it won't kick the crap out of his wrist and still function reliably.

krashmania

Still dont know anything
    Feb 6, 2011
    churchville
    Alright, sorry to bring up a dead thread, but finally had a chance for me and the old man to make it out to the range together and play around with a few different nines.

The range had three 9's that were in our price range on hand, glock 17, ruger SR9, and springfield X9.

Didn't really have anything against any of em, but both agreed that the glock felt the best. So, now the search begins for a used glock 17.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    dracula

Latest threads

Top Bottom