Good Chinese restaurant in Ellicott City?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Stoveman

TV Personality
    Patriot Picket
    Sep 2, 2013
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    Make sure you look under the tables and table cloths, went there one time, roaches everywhere. Disgusting. Never again.

I repaired the electric in a couple Chinese carry outs in the Howard county area a few years ago. I haven't eaten Chinese food since then. The fronts are nice and fancy. The backs would make you throw up. I'm sure a lot of places are like this. But I'm not eating Chinese anymore in my lifetime.:sad20:

I've said it before but Chinese joints are at the bottom of the scale for restaurant cleanliness.

My personal fave is Hunan Manor in Columbia. Unfortunately we do work in there. Fortunately, I'm the boss and I have my crews do work in there so I can pretend that their kitchen is clean and pure as the wind driven snow.....;)

Skins_Brew

loves the smell of cosmo
    Mar 4, 2009
    moйтgomeяу сoцйту
    Avoid this place!

6633488067_498f90c8c4_z.jpg

pleasant1911

Ultimate Member
    Apr 12, 2012
    Go honey pig. Most Chinese food is unhealthy. your kids might like honey pig, unless they don't like bbq beef and pork. But your hair and cloth will smell like bbq. Serve at Korean restaurant exceed any Chinese food restaurant serves. There are lots of places good Korean places in EC, rt 40. Honey pig is for the younger crowds....not really a family restaurant. Take them to Bon chon chicken. They are good. But Chinese food sucks unless you know a person who know what to order. Orange chicken with fried rice and egg roll is not really Chinese. If you go to a REAL Chinese restaurant, they have all these Chinese posting wroitten on paper, those are menus and unless you read Chinese you will not know what and why it's there. Same goes for Korean restaurants. Nexttime you go to any type of Asian restaurant, check out the walls.

Lotte is where Asians/Indians/ Latinos shop and hmart is where the white people shop for Asian gorecry

Ganegrei

Comblock Convert
    Jun 23, 2011
    Somewhere in BoCo
    Yes. China Village. Dine in and carry out. At the corner of 103 and 104. Right smack dab in Ellicott City.

Good, consistent Chinese food. I no longer live in that area, but will happily drive 20-30 minutes to eat or pick up food from there.

Order the kung pao or the hot crispy beef/chicken. The Hunan chicken and shrimp is also great.

http://www.chinavillagemenu.com/

jeffie7

Ultimate Member
    Aug 14, 2015
    Loudoun County
    Grace Garden is pretty much the best Chinese food you'll find in Maryland. There's a few dumpling places in rockville as with other specialized Chinese food places there but for straight up Chinese food, Grace Garden is it. Salt and pepper pork chop is a must order dish.

When we do Dim Sum we drive to Hong Kong Pearl and hit Eden Center afterwards.
    Marks Duck House use to be the hottest dim sum place, IMO it has gone down hill and now Hong Kong Pearl is the better option, both quality and price.

Chances are the OP already went, but I just wanted to add my 2c.

I'm big into food, both eating and cooking and can make most asian foods we enjoy eating. Normally we go to Grace Garden or NVA for asian food, or we just make it at home.

IMG_0629.jpg

Home made bon chon.

TopTechAgent

MDS Supporter
    Nov 30, 2012
    Mooresville, NC
    Go a little further to Woodbine, and try out Paper Lantern.
    Tried Paper Lantern on Friday and thought it was good too. The lunch deal is underpriced. 7.50 gets you soup, spring roll, meal and rice. The entree was made with fresh and crisp veggies and decent meat chunks with good flavor. The rice was a bit dry though.

Another vote for Honey Pig as well.

Last edited:

Coffee

Jan 12, 2009
    Odenton
    Wife and I visited Grace Garden in Odenton, based on recommendations in this thread.

The first time, we ordered beef fried rice (off the American menu), twice cooked pork (Chinese menu), vegetables (Chinese) and Steamed Dumplings. All of it was good enough to warrant a second visit.

The second time, we ordered the Yang Chow Fried Rice (Chinese), Orange chicken (American), black pepper beef (Chinese), and more veggies and dumplings.

The food on that second visit was awesome. Too many Chinese take out places over-salt or over-soy sauce the fried rice. The Yang Chow fried rice is full of flavor, but not oversalted. The orange chicken also speaks to the fact that this place is much higher quality: good chunks of chicken, crispy and not overflowing with sticky sweetness.

Definitely our go-to Chinese place now.

jeffie7

Ultimate Member
    Aug 14, 2015
    Loudoun County
    Just keep in mind Grace garden is all about the Chinese menu. The American menu isnt bad but it's aimed at being like the others. Salt and pepper pork chop is the must get item also the crispy egg plant is awesome.

Petar

Nov 18, 2010
    Hunan Manor in Columbia...
    7091 Deepage Drive
    Columbia, MD 21045
    (410) 381-1134

Coffee

Jan 12, 2009
    Odenton
    Just keep in mind Grace garden is all about the Chinese menu. The American menu isnt bad but it's aimed at being like the others. Salt and pepper pork chop is the must get item also the crispy egg plant is awesome.

Yeah, our main interest is in the Chinese menu. That said: sometimes I do crave the americanized offerings, and Grace Garden's cooking makes it clear that even their americanized stuff is several cuts above the competition.

pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    They used to put the health department report in the paper and you could see who got busted and for what.
    Jeffie7 that's some good looking eats!

Kevmo

N00b
    Feb 20, 2009
    Severn
    Grace Garden in odenton,md across from fort Meade, only authentic Chinese restaurant around. Hit me up if you need recommendations on what to get, might even join you to put a face to a name if you are up for it. They are like my second family to me, as being Chinese,i know my Chinese food!

ibang1

Ultimate Member
    Jan 12, 2011
    Perry Hall
    Hunan Manor in Columbia...
    7091 Deepage Drive
    Columbia, MD 21045
    (410) 381-1134

We alway order off the menu. Snow Peas Leaves with Garlic, Mafo Tofu, Steam fish and Steamed Chicken with Garlic, Ginger with Green Onion and Sea Salt.

My Dad took me there the first time I came over to MD and even got my 1 year old hooked. I was surprised my son could wolf down fish. That was over ten years ago and to this day we order the same thing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom