George Washington University Police Department to arm ‘specially trained’ officers with handguns by fall

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sunrise

Ultimate Member
    Aug 18, 2020
    Capital Region
    I just got GW and Georgetown confused again.

Me-------> :smack: <-------Also me.
    Wrong "George".... :-)

BTW, my favorite (armed) concierge:

tumblr_orxacy5R771qmob6ro1_500.gif

Afrikeber

Ultimate Member
    Jan 14, 2013
    Urbana, Md.
    So wait….there are some here shocked that University Police are not allowed to be armed……I’m shocked law abiding citizens are not allowed to be armed.

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    What an absolute clown show this is:

While we appreciate the notion of “reimagining public safety,” we find the recent decision a disappointing example of a narrowing of the imagination. We also find it inconsistent with the dignity of all persons and more likely to reduce safety rather than enhance it.

See if you can make it through the rest of the faculty letter.

We need a holistic approach to campus safety, not one born of desperation and resignation over mass shootings. Twenty-odd 9 mm handguns send a message that officials know there’s a problem, but arming GWPD is no solution to gun violence. These weapons and the officers who will wield them won’t “do something” unless they’re used to stop a crisis – or to start one.

This unhealthy obsession with radical empathy for criminals is disgusting. Go to class. Go home. Follow officer commands when given. JFC.

Fvck these people, let them be sheep. Tired of these assholes. If they want to tell the world they’re soft targets, go right ahead. Morons, all of them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

brianns

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 29, 2015
    Montgomery County
    Fvck these people, let them be sheep. Tired of these assholes. If they want to tell the world they’re soft targets, go right ahead. Morons, all of them.

Yeah. it's stuff like that that makes me disgusted with those type people.

Especially stuff like this, there at the end.
    "These weapons and the officers who will wield them won’t “do something” unless they’re used to stop a crisis – or to start one."

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    Working near the GW campus today.

Somebody is organizing this and paying for it.

This is all part of an organized revolution, aimed at overwhelming and destroying the United States, as well as the other "Western Democracies." It is at an advanced stage.

Sunrise

Ultimate Member
    Aug 18, 2020
    Capital Region
    Somebody is organizing this and paying for it.

This is all part of an organized revolution, aimed at overwhelming and destroying the United States, as well as the other "Western Democracies." It is at an advanced stage.
    Here are some of the organizations promoting it:

Sunrise GW, Students Against Imperialism, Jewish Voice for Peace, Students for Justice in Palestine, GW Black Defiance and GW Dissenters – along with the District-based group Shut Down DC.

I found this Reddit Profile interesting for a behind-the-scenes look at policy, training and enforcement:

Also this forum thread about hiring/experience:

Last edited:

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Agreed. From the Article:

Ten of the University’s 12 peer schools equip their campus police forces with guns as of Thursday, including Boston, Northeastern, Syracuse, Tufts, Tulane and Wake Forest universities, and the Universities of Miami, Pittsburgh, Rochester and Southern California. Campus police officers at New York University do not carry firearms.

Three universities in the District – Howard and Catholic universities and the University of the District of Columbia – also arm their campus police officers, while those at American, Georgetown and Gallaudet universities remain unarmed.

An unarmed police force is entirely worthless.
    Works in a few countries like the UK. Though even there, special armed police have become a lot more common.

Wouldn't work here. Unarmed police is a stupid concept anywhere you do have a proliferation of guns. Even where you don't, it can be kind of stupid. Just somewhat less stupid.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    Here are some of the organizations promoting it:

Sunrise GW, Students Against Imperialism, Jewish Voice for Peace, Students for Justice in Palestine, GW Black Defiance and GW Dissenters – along with the District-based group Shut Down DC.

I found this Reddit Profile interesting for a behind-the-scenes look:

Also this forum thread:

Someone is bankrolling those groups. Probably most of the activists are usefull idiots.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    What an absolute clown show this is:

While we appreciate the notion of “reimagining public safety,” we find the recent decision a disappointing example of a narrowing of the imagination. We also find it inconsistent with the dignity of all persons and more likely to reduce safety rather than enhance it.

See if you can make it through the rest of the faculty letter.

We need a holistic approach to campus safety, not one born of desperation and resignation over mass shootings. Twenty-odd 9 mm handguns send a message that officials know there’s a problem, but arming GWPD is no solution to gun violence. These weapons and the officers who will wield them won’t “do something” unless they’re used to stop a crisis – or to start one.

This unhealthy obsession with radical empathy for criminals is disgusting. Go to class. Go home. Follow officer commands when given. JFC.
    Yeah, but the reason there is that mind set is that too often police do murder someone. Or use excessive force.

Too often being more than never in some people's mind. But even in my mush mind, it is happening way too often in the US. But disarming police, or having an unarmed police to start with, isn't the solution to that. In some liberals' minds, that is the solution.

Of course, plenty of the notable incidents didn't involve police shooting someone. Many are police beating someone to death or suffocating them to death. Or they don't kill the person, they just beat the crap out of them. Plenty of wrongful police shootings though.

A whole lot more justified ones though.

Sunrise

Ultimate Member
    Aug 18, 2020
    Capital Region
    It's happening:

Next steps

After the first phase of arming—which provides coverage of two armed executive supervisory officers during the busiest part of the week—additional arming will occur in a multi-phase process contingent on a successful first phase. The university will incorporate any additional community feedback as arming continues. Tate and other university leadership also will meet with more students, faculty, staff and neighbors in the coming weeks.

"It's a mixed opinion. I guess it's safer in a way, but having more guns on campus makes it feel less safe," said student Martina Sanchez.

Student Nico Schwartz added: "Bottom line there are more guns. Even though more trained officers will have them, I don't personally think guns are a good deterrent. I think more guns means more violence."

The best and brightest, folks.

“Prevention of gun violence is much more than just having more armed people in an area,” Eli McCarthy, a professor of peace studies at the university who helped pen the letter, told NBC Washington.

He added that faculty were surprised by the announcement, saying it felt “abrupt.”

McCarthy told NBC Washington that he also has concerns about how racial inequality will affect student safety once officers are armed.

“In the aggregate, it’s more likely that students — and particularly Black and persons of colors — are going to be harmed if we arm our officers,” McCarthy said.

JFC. He did the meme again:

1668631015268-png.419164

Sunrise

Ultimate Member
    Aug 18, 2020
    Capital Region

Right now they've told the world they only have two armed officers "during the busiest part of the week" (WTF does that even mean?): GW Police Department executive supervisory officers Chief James Tate and Captain Gabe Mullinax

This "process" is laughable.

Sunrise

Ultimate Member
    Aug 18, 2020
    Capital Region
    And the sergeant and higher ranks aren't the ones out and about. They aren't the ones encountering the armed subject in the auditorium, they are back at the stain behind locked doors.

It's a way of sitting on the fence. Capitulate to the liberals who don't want to see any armed police, but also acknowledge the reality that you need armed police in 2023. Accomplishes both tasks, while actually solving nothing.

Sent from my SM-N970U1 using Tapatalk

After the first phase of arming—which provides coverage of two armed executive supervisory officers during the busiest part of the week—additional arming will occur in a multi-phase process contingent on a successful first phase.

"Two armed executive supervisory officers".
    - In this case, the top two in the Department. Like you said, the ones not out and about... However, I wonder if any student will get triggered about his firearm during Coffee with the Chief.
    "During the busiest part of the week" - WTF does this even mean? What a stupid "qualifier".
    "Additional arming will occur in a multiphase process contingent on a successful first phase." - So the whole thing is "contingent" and they could stop at two officers or scrap the whole thing. What's a "successful first phase"?

As you said, it's fence sitting. What an embarrassment.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom