George Washington University Police Department to arm ‘specially trained’ officers with handguns by fall

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sunrise

Ultimate Member
    Aug 18, 2020
    Capital Region

Wrighton said in an interview with The Hatchet that GWPD will arm roughly 20 of about 50 total GWPD officers with 9 mm handguns in response to heightened gun violence in the United States, including recent school shootings at colleges like Michigan State University and the University of Virginia.
    …..

GWPD Chief James Tate said the armed officers will have a rank of sergeant or higher, and many in the group are already certified to carry firearms from when they worked in other police departments and agencies before coming to GWPD.

Reality finally hit.

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    I only knew about this because there's a protest against it.

Sunrise

Ultimate Member
    Aug 18, 2020
    Capital Region
    Why on Earth would there be an unarmed police force in the first place? If they are true sworn officers, they should be armed. If private security... well, they should still be armed, but that's another issue.
    Agreed. From the Article:

Ten of the University’s 12 peer schools equip their campus police forces with guns as of Thursday, including Boston, Northeastern, Syracuse, Tufts, Tulane and Wake Forest universities, and the Universities of Miami, Pittsburgh, Rochester and Southern California. Campus police officers at New York University do not carry firearms.

Three universities in the District – Howard and Catholic universities and the University of the District of Columbia – also arm their campus police officers, while those at American, Georgetown and Gallaudet universities remain unarmed.

An unarmed police force is entirely worthless.

Last edited:

Sunrise

Ultimate Member
    Aug 18, 2020
    Capital Region
    I only knew about this because there's a protest against it.
    The protest:

qnbnRNH.jpg

Sunrise

Ultimate Member
    Aug 18, 2020
    Capital Region
    That Soon to be Renamed University in DC?
    The University is stopping the use of its "Colonials" moniker: https://gwtoday.gwu.edu/gw-discontinue-use-colonials-moniker

You can follow the "progress" on this moniker change here: https://moniker.gwu.edu/

These are the "Final Four" names under consideration:

Ambassadors
    Blue Fog
    Revolutionaries
    Sentinels

But yes, I don't expect "Washington" to last either. At this point, I think George himself would want his name removed from the place anyway.

Longhorse

MSI Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 8, 2021
    I had no idea that DC had university police departments that weren't armed. That's wild.

Revolutionaries is actually a really good moniker for a school named after George Washington. Arguably better than Colonials. Back when they changed the Washington Football Team's name to the Commanders, I had been hoping for something better, like Revolutionaries.

Sunrise

Ultimate Member
    Aug 18, 2020
    Capital Region
    I had no idea that DC had university police departments that weren't armed. That's wild.

Revolutionaries is actually a really good moniker for a school named after George Washington. Arguably better than Colonials. Back when they changed the Washington Football Team's name to the Commanders, I had been hoping for something better, like Revolutionaries.
    It seems highly irresponsible to have an unarmed campus police force in DC (or anywhere for that matter).

The "final four" were selected from these ten options GW previously released: https://gwtoday.gwu.edu/gw-announces-10-moniker-options-community-feedback

Ambassadors
    Blue Fog
    Catalysts
    Fireworks
    Independents
    Monumentals
    Revolutionaries
    Sentinels
    Squad
    Truth

Longhorse

MSI Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 8, 2021
    It seems highly irresponsible to have an unarmed campus police force in DC (or anywhere for that matter).
    I agree 100%.

The "final four" were selected from these ten options GW previously released: https://gwtoday.gwu.edu/gw-announces-10-moniker-options-community-feedback

Ambassadors
    Blue Fog
    Catalysts
    Fireworks
    Independents
    Monumentals
    Revolutionaries
    Sentinels
    Squad
    Truth

Revolutionaries and Ambassadors are probably the two best options. Sentinels is okay. Blue Fog seems to diverge the most from the rest of the list and I don't see the appeal of that one, unless it's some kind of reference that students would get.

slsc98

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 24, 2012
    Escaped MD-stan to WNC Smokies
    …. the armed officers will have a rank of sergeant or higher, and many in the group are already certified to carry firearms from when they worked in other police departments …

Hahahaha, I gotta remember this LibTard lunacy next 3-gun match I shoot in and I’m watching teen age girls running stages with single action semi pistols, AR’s and race Benellis.

On second thought, this LibTard is sadder than it is funny.

(The Father of our Country would wretch)

Sunrise

Ultimate Member
    Aug 18, 2020
    Capital Region
    Hahahaha, I gotta remember this LibTard lunacy next 3-gun match I shoot in and I’m watching teen age girls running stages with single action semi pistols, AR’s and race Benellis.

On second thought, this LibTard is sadder than it is funny.
    Limiting it to the ~20 officers ranked sergeant or higher is either a negotiated compromise, or it doesn't speak well for the skills/training of those of lower rank than that on the GW Police Force.

I guess ~20 armed officers is better than no armed officers?

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Limiting it to the ~20 officers ranked sergeant or higher is either a negotiated compromise, or it doesn't speak well for the skills/training of those of lower rank than that on the GW Police Force.

Going with the first .

spoon059

Ultimate Member
    Jun 1, 2018

And the sergeant and higher ranks aren't the ones out and about. They aren't the ones encountering the armed subject in the auditorium, they are back at the stain behind locked doors.

It's a way of sitting on the fence. Capitulate to the liberals who don't want to see any armed police, but also acknowledge the reality that you need armed police in 2023. Accomplishes both tasks, while actually solving nothing.

Sent from my SM-N970U1 using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom