• Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Donating to Fund the HQL Lawsuit

• Yes - I have/will donate as this is our best bet.

Votes: 98 59.4%
    • Yes - Win or lose, I won't stop fighting.

Votes: 31 18.8%
    • No - I don't think it stands snowballs chance.

Votes: 29 17.6%
    • No - I think the HQL is a good common sense measure.

Votes: 1 0.6%
    • Undecided - I'm going around in circles.

Votes: 6 3.6%

• Total voters

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    Many counties have their own raffle regulations and restrictions, and you need to comply wherever tickets are sold. I started looking at it awhile ago just out of curiosity, but got diverted to something else. If there's a real desire with a potential pot of gold for the cause, I'll look at it further and donate some time to go through the various hoops. At a minimum it seems likely that it could be held in some locations if not all.

Would you be willing to do this and provide an update to not only the forum here but directly to the MSI BOD when completed?

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    How about some 2A bull roasts?

We have tossed this idea around, you coming back to run a couple? :D

In all seriousness, we have discussed doing this, is there anyone or anyones that wants to look into to doing this? Perhaps several in various parts of the state?

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll

In all seriousness, we have discussed doing this, is there anyone or anyones that wants to look into to doing this? Perhaps several in various parts of the state?

Seems like you need a volunteer list. We run into this issue with the PTA on every event we want to run. You might want to start thinking about making more committees and having them run those events or cover those areas of education (e.g., HPRB, bull roast, raffle, FSA2013, MSI event tables). The problem is always finding volunteers/money.

Then, there is the "hassle free" donation method. Send out something asking for a "hassle free" donation. Donate that specific amount, and we will never ask you during the year to participate in a fund raiser. Of course, most of the people that give hassle free donations will participate in fund raising anyway.

How about a silent auction? People/businesses can donate items and then they can be auctioned off. Rent a room, have food and a bar, etc. Make it a good time like a DU banquet or NRA banquet. People get to attend, make new contacts, have a good time, and associate said good time and the "rifle won at the MSI banquet" with MSI. Of course, all of this takes planning.

Once you do it for the first time, have a folder of contact/process time line created by the committee chair that can then hand it off to the person that replaces them when they are no longer able to continue.

Volunteer work is tough, and thankless, until you have something like Kolbe come around, and even then you have people complaining about how much longer it is going to take before it is final.

Guderian

Mar 31, 2011
    Why not just start a GoFundMe page? I'm sure there are people not just from Maryland who would donate to the cause, especially after the most recent decision in Kolbe.

I know I have donated to complete strangers if I felt their issue was worthwhile.

Many of us are competitors and know competitors from across the nation that we keep in touch with on Facebook and other social media. I'm sure they would help if the GoFundMe page was worded appropriately and was shared.

iCoder80

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 31, 2015

If done right you can raise a significant amount of money with a bull roast.

As was already suggested, it works best with a committee taking on the workload and a solid committee chair. It also takes the organization to trust that committee and let them do the job.

You can generate revenue from multiple sources from the event. Ticket sales, 50-50 tickets, plant wheels (I would suggest ammo wheels instead), silent auction and there are probably things I have forgotten. I recall being at an event at Martins West where they had simulated horse racing you could bet on.

You could easily generate $5000 to $10000.

The downside is there is work involved in pulling off a successful event.

Just getting a group of people to take charge and get it off the ground is the first challenge.

The second challenge would be generating ticket sales. A good goal would be 400 attendees. A nice affair will cost in the neighborhood of $30 a person. Sell tickets at $45 a piece and you have $6000 just in ticket sales.

Selling that many tickets seems daunting and it could be. One of the keys to success would be the involvement of all the IP's. Get them pushing tickets and 400 should be an easy goal to reach.

Just my .02 cents.

mxrider

Former MSI Treasurer
    Aug 20, 2012
    Edgewater, MD
    If done right you can raise a significant amount of money with a bull roast.

As was already suggested, it works best with a committee taking on the workload and a solid committee chair. It also takes the organization to trust that committee and let them do the job.

You can generate revenue from multiple sources from the event. Ticket sales, 50-50 tickets, plant wheels (I would suggest ammo wheels instead), silent auction and there are probably things I have forgotten. I recall being at an event at Martins West where they had simulated horse racing you could bet on.

You could easily generate $5000 to $10000.

The downside is there is work involved in pulling off a successful event.

Just getting a group of people to take charge and get it off the ground is the first challenge.

The second challenge would be generating ticket sales. A good goal would be 400 attendees. A nice affair will cost in the neighborhood of $30 a person. Sell tickets at $45 a piece and you have $6000 just in ticket sales.

Selling that many tickets seems daunting and it could be. One of the keys to success would be the involvement of all the IP's. Get them pushing tickets and 400 should be an easy goal to reach.

Just my .02 cents.

Would you like to be the committee chair for this?

iCoder80

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 31, 2015
    Would you like to be the committee chair for this?

I would not be the person you want to chair something like this. I know this from past experiences in putting events like this together. I am simply not a people person. I make Lou over at Shooter's Discount look like Mary Poppins. I just have a knack for turning people off.

Having said that, I could possibly be persuaded to assist.

Jim12

Let Freedom Ring
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2013
    Would you be willing to do this and provide an update to not only the forum here but directly to the MSI BOD when completed?

I'm inclined to say yes, with help of a strategic plan and planners to make it worthwhile for everybody. To help get things started, who has experience organizing, procuring raffle items, marketing, selling tickets, etc.? Are we looking at something statewide?

Guderian

Mar 31, 2011
    Depending on the cause, I've seen GoFundMe pages generate over $100,000 in a couple of days. And it would have national reach if shared on Facebook and etc. A bull roast will reach those who can make it, which I believe will be a smaller audience. What's wrong with a GoFundMe page?

mxrider

Former MSI Treasurer
    Aug 20, 2012
    Edgewater, MD
    Depending on the cause, I've seen GoFundMe pages generate over $100,000 in a couple of days. And it would have national reach if shared on Facebook and etc. A bull roast will reach those who can make it, which I believe will be a smaller audience. What's wrong with a GoFundMe page?

I believe, but not positive, that GoFundMe rules out anything firearm related

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    Seems like you need a volunteer list. We run into this issue with the PTA on every event we want to run. You might want to start thinking about making more committees and having them run those events or cover those areas of education (e.g., HPRB, bull roast, raffle, FSA2013, MSI event tables). The problem is always finding volunteers/money.

Then, there is the "hassle free" donation method. Send out something asking for a "hassle free" donation. Donate that specific amount, and we will never ask you during the year to participate in a fund raiser. Of course, most of the people that give hassle free donations will participate in fund raising anyway.

How about a silent auction? People/businesses can donate items and then they can be auctioned off. Rent a room, have food and a bar, etc. Make it a good time like a DU banquet or NRA banquet. People get to attend, make new contacts, have a good time, and associate said good time and the "rifle won at the MSI banquet" with MSI. Of course, all of this takes planning.

Once you do it for the first time, have a folder of contact/process time line created by the committee chair that can then hand it off to the person that replaces them when they are no longer able to continue.

Volunteer work is tough, and thankless, until you have something like Kolbe come around, and even then you have people complaining about how much longer it is going to take before it is final.

We are working on one, stay tuned.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    I'm inclined to say yes, with help of a strategic plan and planners to make it worthwhile for everybody. To help get things started, who has experience organizing, procuring raffle items, marketing, selling tickets, etc.? Are we looking at something statewide?

We would think statewide, yes.

Send me an e-mail please: dblasberg@marylandshallissue.org and let's get a gameplay together so we know what to ask for with regards to help.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    I would not be the person you want to chair something like this. I know this from past experiences in putting events like this together. I am simply not a people person. I make Lou over at Shooter's Discount look like Mary Poppins. I just have a knack for turning people off.

Having said that, I could possibly be persuaded to assist.

Do you happen to know anyone that has had experience putting one together, that would be willing to throw in?

iCoder80

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 31, 2015
    Do you happen to know anyone that has had experience putting one together, that would be willing to throw in?

Unfortunately I've lost touch with people I was involved with on these type things. Been at least a dozen years.

It's seems like an onerous task but really isn't once you get started. The first step is the hardest. Need to put together a committee of 8-12 people and have someone step up to be the chair.

Aren't their people at AGC that run crab feasts and bull roasts?

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    guitarsit

Latest threads

Top Bottom