• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • adit

ReMember
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 20, 2013
    DE
    Friend in PA uses a shop that charges $25 flat rate for as many items he transfers at one time. He’s done 10 stripped lowers and 4 rifles and it was $25

Yes, we are groomed to accept the gouge here

PA PICS fee is $2.00.

Hibs

Ultimate Member
    Dec 23, 2015
    Maryland
    45 minutes to and from = 1.5hrs. You need to make two trips for a handgun, so you're looking at 3hrs on the road, a solid $20 in gas, and quite possible a Bay Bridge toll.
    Go for it.

Ya, I get it. Makes a lot more sense for non-regulated firearms. Also makes sense to support businesses that aren't price gouging, regardless of the added inconvenience to me. So you're right, I'll likely go for it.

Ya, I get it. Makes a lot more sense for non-regulated firearms. Also makes sense to support businesses that aren't price gouging, regardless of the added inconvenience to me. So you're right, I'll likely go for it.

I know it has been mentioned multiple times already, but overhead is much higher in Maryland- especially in the Baltimore and DC metro areas. Centerville MD commercial real estate is likely less than half of what it would be in, say, Montgomery County. The extra $10-$20 charged there isn't gouging, rather having a much higher cost of doing business.

Hibs

Ultimate Member
    Dec 23, 2015
    Maryland
    I know it has been mentioned multiple times already, but overhead is much higher in Maryland- especially in the Baltimore and DC metro areas. Centerville MD commercial real estate is likely less than half of what it would be in, say, Montgomery County. The extra $10-$20 charged there isn't gouging, rather having a much higher cost of doing business.

Right. I get the explanation. Still don’t think it accounts for entire difference.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    And 30-60 minutes of your life on a Saturday at a gun show in PA

Not going to lie, that was one of the top 3 reasons I got an FFL-03 since the majority of the shows I go to are in PA. So much time saved just filling out the bill of sale and hand over a copy of my license and get a copy of their license. Done. Most of what I am interest in are C&R

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    I don't understand what you mean by margins. What is a LGS having to pay in order to do an FFL transfer? Obviously daily operating costs (and I get it, cost of living/operating higher in MD). But it takes 10 minutes to help me fill out a 4473. It takes what, 10 minutes to catalog the gun when LGS receives it? So $60 for 20 minutes of work? Seems like easy money to me.

You sound like some of my former clients. How could it take 2 hours to draft a one page letter at $245 an hour? There is a lot more to running a gun shop than just helping a person fill out a Form 4473. Not only that, but in your $60 calculation for the 20 minutes of work, $10 of that $60 actually goes to MSP. The LGS does not get to keep the $10 MSP fee.

So, if the LGS was busy doing transfers all day long, and I mean non-stop, then that would be $150 an hour. After that, overhead, etc. needs to be subtracted out.

Mind you, that is if the LGS is doing transfers all day long, non-stop.

slsc98

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 24, 2012
    Escaped MD-stan to WNC Smokies
    I’ve got a gripe about FFL fees; however; it’s a matter of my FFL charging $10 / transfer which has resulted in my “investing” some serious zeros (potentially out-of-control spending) starting in FEB and although I never intended, right up to present …

Thursday I picked up (a second!) Dickinson Prestige (H&H sidelocks) 30” 12ga; next week will be two PSA lowers (still on sale for $140@ w Free Shipping, I submit it’s one’s duty to stock up on these!) and then the grandsons “Kryptek Highlander” M&P15-22 …

OP, I hope you’re able to escape MD-Stan sooner than later but til then, let my predicament serve as an example: too-low-of FFL fees can also have serious and unintended consequences! :innocent0

Attachments

• DE9E983A-4E60-47D8-8663-3876D1CF31B7.jpg
      DE9E983A-4E60-47D8-8663-3876D1CF31B7.jpg
      81.9 KB · Views: 179
    • 95A9A668-8D15-405F-B836-76BB7C82B66E.jpg
      95A9A668-8D15-405F-B836-76BB7C82B66E.jpg
      113.3 KB · Views: 179
    • 863A296E-0835-4F14-AD85-7EC837E76A96.jpg
      863A296E-0835-4F14-AD85-7EC837E76A96.jpg
      86.7 KB · Views: 178
    • AA368D3D-4D92-46F5-94ED-F2A9F0DA5903.jpg
      AA368D3D-4D92-46F5-94ED-F2A9F0DA5903.jpg
      170 KB · Views: 181
    • 8E78D48A-B636-4255-B641-04276D76CF1B.jpg
      8E78D48A-B636-4255-B641-04276D76CF1B.jpg
      132.9 KB · Views: 178
    • E3E0BC0A-0988-4AFD-96A6-9D2AD5A86C61.jpg
      E3E0BC0A-0988-4AFD-96A6-9D2AD5A86C61.jpg
      93.8 KB · Views: 180
    • 45528069-174D-4BBA-95E7-769BE5E0BD73.jpg
      45528069-174D-4BBA-95E7-769BE5E0BD73.jpg
      26.2 KB · Views: 171

Hibs

Ultimate Member
    Dec 23, 2015
    Maryland
    You sound like some of my former clients. How could it take 2 hours to draft a one page letter at $245 an hour? There is a lot more to running a gun shop than just helping a person fill out a Form 4473. Not only that, but in your $60 calculation for the 20 minutes of work, $10 of that $60 actually goes to MSP. The LGS does not get to keep the $10 MSP fee.

So, if the LGS was busy doing transfers all day long, and I mean non-stop, then that would be $150 an hour. After that, overhead, etc. needs to be subtracted out.

Mind you, that is if the LGS is doing transfers all day long, non-stop.

If you would have actually read my post, you would have noticed I said $60 FFL fee plus $10 fee to MSP. So really $70. BUT WAIT, THERE’S MORE! Don’t forget about the bore lock! Which you know, even though the firearm I was transferring was old enough to be exempt from the internal lock, the FFL “forgot about that” when they did the MSP form (so they said) so charged me another $5 to “rent” a bore lock, I.e. placed it on top the box and let me walk out then hand it back to them at the door.

So really it was $75 to transfer ONE gun.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    If you would have actually read my post, you would have noticed I said $60 FFL fee plus $10 fee to MSP. So really $70. BUT WAIT, THERE’S MORE! Don’t forget about the bore lock! Which you know, even though the firearm I was transferring was old enough to be exempt from the internal lock, the FFL “forgot about that” when they did the MSP form (so they said) so charged me another $5 to “rent” a bore lock, I.e. placed it on top the box and let me walk out then hand it back to them at the door.

That last part is BS. I am unaware with anything the FFL needs to communicate to MSP that the firearm either has an internal lock or one was transferred with the gun. Though a couple FFL’s refuse to allow you to supply your own. It’s perfectly legal to bring your own. MSP advisories and the law just say 2003 or later manufacture it needs an internal lock and a bore lock qualifies for that, at the time of transfer. Before 2003 an external lock is fine. My experience the vast majority for FFLs for 2003 and later don’t mind you supplying your own. Pre 2003 most don’t even bother asking if you have a cable or trigger guard lock on you.

But competition in business. If another FFL supplies services either at a cost you prefer more or the quality of the services better fits what you are looking for, switch.

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    There is always another solution. Rent a storefront somewhere and apply for an FFL. You can have any hours you want to work around your schedule and transfer things for yourself for free! Plus you can start raking in all that transfer gravy money.

Sundazes

Throbbing Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 13, 2006
    Arkham

You went to the wrong FFL. I know of several that will loan, not rent, you a tampon. Most I deal with will let you bring your own.
    You need to establish a relationship with a decent FLL.....

I didn't see or even look, but what FFL did you go to?

Hibs

Ultimate Member
    Dec 23, 2015
    Maryland
    You went to the wrong FFL. I know of several that will loan, not rent, you a tampon. Most I deal with will let you bring your own.
    You need to establish a relationship with a decent FLL.....

I didn't see or even look, but what FFL did you go to?

I haven't named them and don't plan on it. Overall as a gun store goes, they were friendly and mostly helpful. I just think their fees were high. And maybe I'm a little extra annoyed because the first day I walked in and asked about FFL transfer fees, they said "$50 cash"... OK cool. So I initiate the transfer. Handgun arrives at their store. They call me, I go to start paperwork. Then they tell me "Oh actually it's $60 cash since it's a handgun, it's $50 for long guns".... hmmm.... OK WHATEVER..... then "oh BTW, you got to pay $10 to MSP, don't blame us"... YA OK.... then 7 days later I go to pick up, and it's "oh wait, where is your bore lock?" I tell them I don't need an internal bore lock the gun is a mid 1980s, I have my own supplied cable lock. They tell me "oh no that won't work, you MUST have a bore lock, we will sell you one for $30, or you can rent one for $5, cash only".... I'm like, I literally don't have any cash, I came here all prepared for my own pickup. They go, "oh well there is an ATM outside around the building"... ya thanks guys.

Hibs

Ultimate Member
    Dec 23, 2015
    Maryland
    There is always another solution. Rent a storefront somewhere and apply for an FFL. You can have any hours you want to work around your schedule and transfer things for yourself for free! Plus you can start raking in all that transfer gravy money.

Man, thanks for the great advice! :party29:

Sundazes

Throbbing Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 13, 2006
    Arkham
    I haven't named them and don't plan on it. Overall as a gun store goes, they were friendly and mostly helpful. I just think their fees were high. And maybe I'm a little extra annoyed because the first day I walked in and asked about FFL transfer fees, they said "$50 cash"... OK cool. So I initiate the transfer. Handgun arrives at their store. They call me, I go to start paperwork. Then they tell me "Oh actually it's $60 cash since it's a handgun, it's $50 for long guns".... hmmm.... OK WHATEVER..... then "oh BTW, you got to pay $10 to MSP, don't blame us"... YA OK.... then 7 days later I go to pick up, and it's "oh wait, where is your bore lock?" I tell them I don't need an internal bore lock the gun is a mid 1980s, I have my own supplied cable lock. They tell me "oh no that won't work, you MUST have a bore lock, we will sell you one for $30, or you can rent one for $5, cash only".... I'm like, I literally don't have any cash, I came here all prepared for my own pickup. They go, "oh well there is an ATM outside around the building"... ya thanks guys.

Two lessons learned, a cable lock wont cut it. There are certain locks that are approved. The Omega bore lock (tampon) being one.
    Second. Find a new FFL.

Hibs

Ultimate Member
    Dec 23, 2015
    Maryland
    Two lessons learned, a cable lock wont cut it. There are certain locks that are approved. The Omega bore lock (tampon) bring one.
    Second. Find a new FFL.

First, I don't need a bore lock on a 1980s produced handgun.

Second, yes, I plan on finding a new FFL. :party29:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Millebar

Latest threads

Top Bottom