• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • montoya32

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jun 16, 2010
    Harford Co
    I didn't know this because I rarely ever got o the mall, but Estate Brokers has a kiosk at Harford Mall. They were going to attempt to sell tasers and here is where the story picks up...

http://belair.patch.com/groups/poli...k-owner-responds-after-police-seize-stun-guns

"The owner of the Guys Hunting kiosk that was targeted by police at Harford Mall says she was unaware she was prohibited from selling Tasers to mall shoppers since she can sell potentially lethal weapons such as knives. Police confiscated 20 of the Tasers on Friday.

"The police stated that they were 'tipped off' that I was planning on selling Tasers and we had a waiting list to get them," said Debra Guy, who runs the Guys Hunting kiosk in addition to a pawn shop in Havre de Grace. "If the police knew ahead of time, why didn't they just come tell me they were illegal, and I wouldn't have ordered them?"

Guy said she was not aware that it was unlawful to sell Tasers. She said she asked a Harford County sheriff's deputy who told her it was lawful to have them in one's home.

"Given the amount of crime in Harford County, the increase in drugs, home invasions, etc., I thought it an excellent non-lethal form of self-defense," Guy said. "It's crazy that I can sell knives, which someone could potentially use as a lethal weapon, but I can't sell a non-lethal form of self protection."

In the state of Maryland, it is legal to possess and sell Tasers. State law requires stun gun vendors to provide instructions for using the devices, keep sales records, check criminal histories before selling the devices and allow law enforcement agencies to access their records.

Local jurisdictions may have more stringent requirements, and that is the case in Harford County, which passed a bill in 1985 making it illegal to possess, fire, sell or rent a stun gun.

Guy said police investigated whether she was following the state requirements by sending an undercover officer to attempt to buy two Tasers.

"The undercover cop asked me if I would sell him a gun for cash out of my shop without a background check, stating that he had been convicted of assault charges. I told him absolutely not! I told him he was not allowed to ever own a firearm," said Guy, whose store Estate Brokers of Maryland sells guns in Havre de Grace.

"They were baiting me to see if I would commit a crime," Guy said. "I have had a federal firearms license for 30 years, perfect federal records and would never do such a thing."

Guy said that she asked Bel Air police for a record of what the officers were taking when they seized 20 Tasers last week and was denied.

"I asked the Bel Air Police [Department's] Sgt. Lockard for some type of paperwork stating what he was taking from me and he refused to give me anything," Guy said.

According to Guy, Bel Air police officers were accompanied by two deputies from the Harford County Sheriff's Office when they "came in and quietly confiscated" the Tasers on Friday afternoon.

"None of them showed me or my helper a badge or ID, and they wouldn't give me any paperwork stating that they were taken," Guy said.

The Bel Air Police Department did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

As of Dec. 23, charges had not been filed against Guy, according to online court records.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    After being subpeona'd last spring for a court case involving Deb.

It seems the Harford county sheriff has her under the microscope. I would venture to say this is borderline harrasment.

240 towles

master of puppets
    Mar 31, 2009
    ?
    If I recall, it is not harassment if a law has perpetually been violated. I don't agree with it, but harassment is hard to prove if you are technically in the wrong.

MikeTF

Ultimate Member
    How can the police come in, not show a badge, not show a warrant, and not provide a receipt for items that are confiscated. 'Borderline harassment' seems a bit euphemistic to say the least.

That said, its clear that she was violating the local laws.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    How can the police come in, not show a badge, not show a warrant, and not provide a receipt for items that are confiscated. 'Borderline harassment' seems a bit euphemistic to say the least.

That said, its clear that she was violating the local laws.

If Deb had asked legal questions previously, which the article alludes to. Then this is border border line harrasment.

JettaRed

Ultimate Member
    Mar 13, 2013
    Middletown
    I'm confused. Were the cops in uniform? While she should have been aware of local laws having had an FFL for 30 years and is a business owner, how did she know they were cops? I woulda called the cops!!!

montoya32

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jun 16, 2010
    Harford Co
    I agree. If you want to sell an item or questionable legality, then you had better check it out thoroughly. With that said, seems like this was a little bit of a hunt to make a big splash. What is up with the under cover trying to purchase a firearm illegally? Is it a coincidence that the taser and the under cover attempt happened in such a close time span?

gamer_jim

Podcaster
    Feb 12, 2008
    Hanover, PA
    I'm confuzzled:

I didn't know this because I rarely ever got o the mall, but Estate Brokers has a kiosk at Harford Mall. They were going to attempt to sell tasers and here is where the story picks up...

...State law requires stun gun vendors to provide instructions for using the devices, keep sales records, check criminal histories before selling the devices and allow law enforcement agencies to access their records.

Local jurisdictions may have more stringent requirements, and that is the case in Harford County, which passed a bill in 1985 making it illegal to possess, fire, sell or rent a stun gun.

If the 1985 law is still in effect, then background check or not she is violating the law by selling, correct?

"None of them showed me or my helper a badge or ID, and they wouldn't give me any paperwork stating that they were taken," Guy said.
    This smells. Cops have to have PC or a warrant to take your property. Do they not have to state their name and organization if PC or show a badge when executing a warrant?

I'm guessing the facts are not being presented correctly.

montoya32

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jun 16, 2010
    Harford Co
    Seems like more to the story. David Craig is not helping his cause with this and a few other issues going on in the county.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD
    Seems like more to the story. David Craig is not helping his cause with this and a few other issues going on in the county.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

No he certainly is not. County pushed through the rain tax at $125/household and then Craig turned around and decided that he wanted to repeal it. I need to find that news article...

aray

Ultimate Member
    Jun 6, 2010
    MD -> KY
    It is too bad, but Harford County does ban Electronic Control Devices. Places where they are prohibited in MD include:

Baltimore City: § 115
    Baltimore County: § 17-2-104
    Harford County: § 260-3
    Howard County: § 8.404

Until July 29th of this year Anne Arundel County also banned them, however several of us from AACO successfully lobbied to overturn the ban here. However they are still prohibited in Annapolis: § 11.44.070

FYI here's the exact language from the Harford County code:

For the purpose of this chapter, the following words and phrases shall have the meanings as defined by this section:

PERSON

Any individual, firm, partnership, association or corporation.

STUN GUN

An electronic device which is specifically designed to temporarily incapacitate a person with a nonlethal electric shock caused by direct contact or projectile, but shall not include any devices such as cattle prods or nerve stimulators specifically designed for and used in the medical or agricultural field.

A. It shall be unlawful for any person to sell, give away, lend, rent or in any manner transfer a stun gun to any person.
    B. It shall be unlawful for any person to possess, fire or discharge a stun gun.
    C. Nothing in this section shall be held to apply to any law enforcement officer while in performance of official duty.

Violations and penalities

Any violation of this chapter shall be deemed a misdemeanor, punishable by a fine of not more than five hundred dollars ($500.) or imprisonment for not more than sixty (60) days, or both.

Name Taken

Ultimate Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    Central
    If the police have this much focus on you for two rather trival things....there's probably more going on that they are trying to prove. Just saying.

Either that or she really really upset someone at some point with some power.

It is up to her to know the laws....why wouldn't you at least Google, contact your lawyer, or look at the local code when trying to sell something you know has some legalize to it?

montoya32

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jun 16, 2010
    Harford Co
    Pretty piss poor to have to even check the codes in counties about what is an isn't allowed. So we have federal laws, state laws, county laws and city/township laws. We're all bound to get tripped up at some point. What ever happened to the UNITED STATES OF AMERICA?

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    You only need to provide a receipt for a search warrant.

If your walking down the street or engaging in illegal activity and I catch you and take everything but your boxers, I don't provide any receipt. When the investigation is over, to include court, you get everything back that isn't kept as civil forfeiture or is illegal in nature.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Shive62

Latest threads

Top Bottom