• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Derwood

Ultimate Member
    Jun 2, 2011
    DC area
    The simple fact is the North American Conservation Model is a stunning success. Fees for hunting and fishing and related supplies go to support habitat conservation and expansion. Populations are tracked and bag limits are established to ensure future opportunities. Anyone can participate who gets the license. The alternative is the Continental model (or whatever it's called) in which one must have access to private preserves to be able to hunt, or the old US model in which there are no fees or licenses, and almost all of the land near populated areas is destroyed along with almost all of the animals. If you disagree, tell me the next time you see an Elk or River Otter in Maryland.

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    So a fee has to be paid to establish bag limits. How so?

Please describe, in detail, the steps the state takes to make sure the Whitetail Deer population is well maintained and managed?

Is the state going in and making sure the deer have feathery soft beds to lay on?

Is the state expending valuable resources making certain that refreshing Deer Park water is available to cool the thirst of the parched deer?

Is the state supplying nutritious corn and other succulent snacks for the deer to nosh on?

Please answer those questions. Then multiply those questions times every other furry and scaly critter that resides, "Temporarily" :innocent0, on the land and in the waters of this state.

webb297

Ultimate Member
    Dec 29, 2010
    Bowie
    Does the state spend money on the upkeep of public parks?

Litter, cutting grass, seeding, tree pruning, etc.?

Does the state spend money on the upkeep of public roadways?

Litter, painting of lines, fixing potholes, maintaining stop lights, etc.?

If folks are going to use public parks as recreational areas and public roadways as recreational areas, then they should pay a fee for using those public areas.

Because the state is spending money maintaining those public areas.

Yes, the public park near my house, if you want to reserve it for an event, you have to pay for it (and it can be used on a day to day basis by the public because it is paid for by events). The upkeep of roads ect comes from the taxes on gas, and you being taxed every time you go through a toll booth. The EZ Pass is just an electronic license.

Racer Doug14

Thread killer
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Feb 22, 2013
    Millers Maryland
    My problem is with DNR. When you pay for a duck stamp and have no access to blind sites. They changed site location near state parks property. Meaning no blinds near them. BS. I hate that you have to go to a county drawing to pull a crappy spot. BS. Should be open access, like PA. Deer in the city parks should be hunted. Are they not managed? Poaching is BS. We all are law abiding hunters and should be appalled by those that do.

Derwood

Ultimate Member
    Jun 2, 2011
    DC area
    I'm not an expert so I won't respond in detail.

The state keeps track of how many deer are killed. They establish bag limits based on that. For example, right now deer are out of control in parts the state and you can kill as many does as you want in most of central and southern MD.

Two of the places I hunt most of the time were purchased by the state from private landwoners using Pittman-Robertson Act funds. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pittman–Robertson_Federal_Aid_in_Wildlife_Restoration_Act

Without that, I would likely have no place to hunt most of the time. The state leases the land to farmers who plant crops that support all sorts of game for anyone to hunt. The farmers leave some of the crops standing so deer, birds, small game, etc can eat them. The funds the state uses for this are from a segregated account that is filled with funds from licences and ammo sales.

I'm not saying the biologists working for the state get it perfectly right every time, but the ones I've met have all been pros who do the best they can.

webb297

Ultimate Member
    Dec 29, 2010
    Bowie
    So a fee has to be paid to establish bag limits. How so?

Please describe, in detail, the steps the state takes to make sure the Whitetail Deer population is well maintained and managed?

Is the state going in and making sure the deer have feathery soft beds to lay on?

Is the state expending valuable resources making certain that refreshing Deer Park water is available to cool the thirst of the parched deer?

Is the state supplying nutritious corn and other succulent snacks for the deer to nosh on?

Please answer those questions. Then multiply those questions times every other furry and scaly critter that resides, "Temporarily" :innocent0, on the land and in the waters of this state.

Now you are just being silly.

Yes, the state does have wildlife conservation experts who monitor the deer population (and many other animals as well like bear, Striped Bass ect.), along with the health of the herds, and the conditions of their habitat and environment, so that if there is any sudden decrease in population we can work to correct it, as was the case with the striped bass and crabs in the bay.

Yes, the state does do water quality monitoring in many locations to ensure that the water in the environment is clean.

STeveZ

Thank you, Abelard
    Sep 22, 2011
    Aberdeen, MD
    Regarding parks. I don't know how widespread it is but if you want to access the picnic areas during the summer at Rocks SP you have to pay a fee. Which seems like total BS to me; public park, public access for all, right? Plus, this makes state parks and the out-of-doors less accessible to lower income individuals and families.

After further thought, I wonder if they don't do it to keep the riff-raff out and prevent overcrowding. Five bucks, or whatever it is, isn't that big of a barrier for a carload of people to enjoy the resource.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    If the state started issuing Bicycling Licenses, people would go full-on ape shyt.

Or kite flying. Or skateboarding. Or running. Or R/C cars. Or Picnicking. Or any other GD thing people do as a form of recreation.

But because evil people want to kill the shyt out of little furry critters and things that go swim-swim, they get charged a fee.

There aren't real or significant bicycle regulations. There are for fishing and hunting and that regulation and oversight has to be paid for somehow. Hence licenses to fund it. It also means we get some voice at the table about it. If it came from simply general revenues and everyone paid the cost of regulation and policing it, the way we'd have would be a lot less. Combine that with anti's having that much more to grumble about getting to say they are paying for it.

Yeah, especially with fishing I grumble a bit, but what the hell, the fishing licenses are pretty damn cheap and when it comes down to it in Maryland the instate hunting licenses are pretty damn cheap on the whole too.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Regarding parks. I don't know how widespread it is but if you want to access the picnic areas during the summer at Rocks SP you have to pay a fee. Which seems like total BS to me; public park, public access for all, right? Plus, this makes state parks and the out-of-doors less accessible to lower income individuals and families.

After further thought, I wonder if they don't do it to keep the riff-raff out and prevent overcrowding. Five bucks, or whatever it is, isn't that big of a barrier for a carload of people to enjoy the resource.

Most parks that I know of are free to walk on and charge $2-5 per vehicle for all day access otherwise for any of the parks that do charge a fee . Generally the only other fee is if you want to use a pavilion for an actual event, which tends to range from $25-200 depending on the size and location for an all day rental. But if one isn't reserved you can go plop down in it and use it, but I'd imagine a RJR officer would probably boot you if they saw you holding an event in one without a permit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    dracula

Latest threads

Top Bottom