Does Westminster mayor have authority to confiscate guns in an emergency?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • scottyfz6

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2018
    Also does not apply if not in down town westminster, the city limits are very well defined.

But I dont think the city would try it.

KJackson

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 3, 2017
    Carroll County
    Are you sure this was a recently enacted law in Westminster? May have been passed years or decades ago. If I were smart enough I would look up the history of the regulation before painting responsibility on current office holder.
    According to the same website:

[HISTORY: Adopted by the Mayor and Common Council of the City of Westminster as Ch. 5 of the 1972 Code, as amended through 1990. Subsequent amendments noted where applicable.]

babalou

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 12, 2013
    Glenelg
    what really got me was all the older people who were on top of their roofs with older rifles protecting theirs. The cops would roll up in boats and demand the rifles. How the eff can they protect themselves and their property?! If I was one of the cops I would ask the guy if he was ok or needed help. If he was GTG then I would say have a nice day and move on. this unconstitutional crap needs to go.

jc1240

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 18, 2013
    Westminster, MD
    Are you sure this was a recently enacted law in Westminster? May have been passed years or decades ago. If I were smart enough I would look up the history of the regulation before painting responsibility on current office holder.

According to the same website:

[HISTORY: Adopted by the Mayor and Common Council of the City of Westminster as Ch. 5 of the 1972 Code, as amended through 1990. Subsequent amendments noted where applicable.]

Unless something newer rescinds them, the laws are "current" regardless of when passed. While it may not be enforced because of fed preemption and SCOTUS rulings, it doesn't wipe them from the books (but should).

In the end we can only go by what is on the books and since the URLs came from MSI, I trust they are current.

Matlack

Scribe
    Dec 15, 2008
    The Constitution covers it just fine.
    After Katrina hit New Orleans, the government did this exact thing. NRA and SAF filed a lawsuit and eventually settled. During the lawsuit the Disaster Recovery Personal Property act was passed. It prohibits firearm confiscation during an emergency. So no, Westminster does not have the authority to confiscate during an emergency.

JollyPedro

Aug 15, 2022
    St Mary's County
    what really got me was all the older people who were on top of their roofs with older rifles protecting theirs. The cops would roll up in boats and demand the rifles. How the eff can they protect themselves and their property?! If I was one of the cops I would ask the guy if he was ok or needed help. If he was GTG then I would say have a nice day and move on. this unconstitutional crap needs to go.
    I saw that first hand!!!! I also saw dumb as$'s shooting at us as we were rescuing survivors from rooftops, it was an insane time for sure!

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    When conditions deteriorate sufficiently, the actual law becomes meaningless, and authority comes from the barrel of a gun.

Be polite, be discreet, but never give up your means to defend yourself and your family.

jef955

MDS Supporter
    Feb 26, 2011
    Maryland
    When conditions deteriorate sufficiently, the actual law becomes meaningless, and authority comes from the barrel of a gun.

Be polite, be discreet, but never give up your means to defend yourself and your family.
    I think this is a very smart idea.. Keep 1 or 2 crap 22's to hand over, and when the police or whoever drive away, the supressed AR comes back out :party29:

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    After Katrina hit New Orleans, the government did this exact thing. NRA and SAF filed a lawsuit and eventually settled. During the lawsuit the Disaster Recovery Personal Property act was passed. It prohibits firearm confiscation during an emergency. So no, Westminster does not have the authority to confiscate during an emergency.
    There we go…

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    There is a difference between Authority and Ability. While someone may lack the Authority to do something like force you to give up your firearms they may have the Ability like showing up in an armored vehicle with a SWAT team. Likewise they may have the Authority such as some municipal code written 50+ years ago but lack the Ability they send Barney Fife with his bullet and you are a typical MDS member.

MJD438

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2012
    Somewhere in MD
    For those interested in looking into the act referenced - https://www.congress.gov/congressional-report/109th-congress/house-report/596/1.

MaxVO2

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    There is a difference between Authority and Ability. While someone may lack the Authority to do something like force you to give up your firearms they may have the Ability like showing up in an armored vehicle with a SWAT team. Likewise they may have the Authority such as some municipal code written 50+ years ago but lack the Ability they send Barney Fife with his bullet and you are a typical MDS member.

****Yea, this is a really good point.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom