• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    Must have just missed you. Took the kids there around 7:30/8:00pm (and then Chipotle after). Impressive inventory. They seem better stocked than Sports Authority on common items that they carry. Possibly less general athletic wear, treadmills, and exercise benches. Obviously they cover the outdoor sports like hunting that SA doesn't touch. Great shotgun inventory as you mentioned. Other odds and ends there too. Nice to see some Henry and Marlin lever actions.

TTMD

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2012
    From what I saw, their ammo prces are higher than Walmart, and since WalMart seems to be fairly reliably restocked now, I don't see buying form Dicks. Also, their bow selection wasn't overwhelming, and the area was pretty tight, but better than anything else in Frederick, though I think there are better selections within 20-30 minutes.

I didn't talk to any of the gun counter guys, but heard a couple of htem talking to customers about needing to bring two other people with them to buy a gun. I didn't catch all the details, but one of the peole was to serve as a witness. They seemed to be trying to pass it off as Maryland law, but again, without al the details, I may have misunderstod.

It will be interesting to see how their stock and selection evolves over the next several months as the grand openings fade, and then we move past Christmas and the hunting season.

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    I like the normalization of seeing firearms in a shopping mall for the general population instead of being isolated in a secluded gun store (even if I prefer shopping in these gun stores). Walmart also keeps very few firearms on display suggesting a lack of interest.

Until my visit in Saturday night, I had never visited a Dick's sporting goods. There's less firearms than one would see in a Gander Mountain (at least relative to the ones that I go to in the Midwest) and even less than a Cabela's, but seeing the hundreds on the wall at the Dick's is a big improvement for Frederick.

Their gun counter was too active when I was there so didn't spend time. I did talk to the guy heading their bike department (moved from another store) and he said inventories were 60-80% throughout the store and the would have more product on display in the coming weeks.

jpo183

Ultimate Member
    Mar 20, 2013
    in Maryland
    Went in there today. Nice selection, handguns coming 1/1. Was walking around and over heard this teenager with what looked like his grandpa holding a rifle. The grandfather proceeded to proudly say his grandson knew everything he did about guns from video games. I waited and the guy at the counter said nothing so I intervened.

I asked if he had ever fired a gun before, he said no. I recommended him to IWL here in frederick for nra basic rifle. Explained that guns are NOT like video games and explained that safety was paramount, etc, etc..

One of you instructors should go up and put out some biz cards. The scary part of this was that the guy at the counter said NOTHING to this ridiculousness.

The teenager and grandpa were actually very proud of their "video game" knowledge....as i was leaving I overheard him tell his grandpa that an M4 uses 6.82 x 59 ammo.......

zb12691

Oct 31, 2014
    Frederick
    100 dollar off coupon if you spend over 300 bucks. buddy got a mossberg 500 on sale for $200 bough a 100 round pack of target ammo and used the coupon and got it all for $225ish. killer deal

Tomcat

Formerly Known As HITWTOM
    May 7, 2012
    St.Mary's County
    Get on their mailing list, or check online to get the weekly specials. Ammo prices aren't too bad when on sale. I've bought some on sale when you buy 4 boxes plus get an ammo box for free.

338lapua09

Feb 7, 2013
    3rd rock from sun
    Sorry too hear they wasted space in a mall for another dicks...or wally world bass pro for that matter....10 years + since I set foot in a WW..just saying....

Now a Cabelas that I would go to..all others waste of time..

Carry on nothing to see here..

TTMD

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2012
    Sorry too hear they wasted space in a mall for another dicks...or wally world bass pro for that matter....10 years + since I set foot in a WW..just saying....

Now a Cabelas that I would go to..all others waste of time..

Carry on nothing to see here..

It's a matter of perspective.

Frederick has gone from no ammo & 2-3 part-time LGS's over the lst two years, to finally having ammo in WalMart again, and now with Dick's, having something approaching an actual firearms/outdoor sporting goods store.

So it is something of a big deal.

Also, sneaking in a little under the radar is Ranger Surplus on Rt 85, and Spartan Tactical & Police Supply down on Rt 40 past the Barbara Fritchie restaurant. Neither carry firearms or ammo, but you can get plenty of kit.

Trek4Ward

Hooligan #10
    Mar 26, 2013
    Frederick County
    I like the normalization of seeing firearms in a shopping mall for the general population instead of being isolated in a secluded gun store (even if I prefer shopping in these gun stores). Walmart also keeps very few firearms on display suggesting a lack of interest.

Until my visit in Saturday night, I had never visited a Dick's sporting goods. There's less firearms than one would see in a Gander Mountain (at least relative to the ones that I go to in the Midwest) and even less than a Cabela's, but seeing the hundreds on the wall at the Dick's is a big improvement for Frederick.

Their gun counter was too active when I was there so didn't spend time. I did talk to the guy heading their bike department (moved from another store) and he said inventories were 60-80% throughout the store and the would have more product on display in the coming weeks.

It's like the isolation of beer in liquor stores only. I miss the old days of walking into the Piggly Wiggly to get my beer back in Wisconsin!

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    You and me, bro. I now marvel at the selection of beer, cheese, and frozen pizza when I visit a Woodmans when back there. Kind of like when Neo needs to select weaponry before jacking into the Matrix to go save Morpheus. Extends as far as the eye can see, but folks are dressed in green and gold instead of black. The Pack seems to have turned things around this season, eh?

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    The cold and long winters does that to you. Still, can't compare to what people in Buffalo area are going through right now. Guessing that you're a Cowboy fan?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom