• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jpo183

Ultimate Member
    Mar 20, 2013
    in Maryland
    Well he should have thought out his line first before posting. And he should also be told what no one else has said yet. And that is... Such pensions are not paid solely from the gubbamint budget... If he knew what he was talking about then he would have known that the individual LEO pays a portion of his/her salary into that fund during their career. And the LEO takes a low paying position in a field where they invest their life at a low rate of pay. Much lower in many respects than that of comparable industry. This is known on the front end of the career and accepted because of the potential to receive a decent retirement pay on the back end of that career. Take that away and you will not be able to compete with private industry for the more qualified applicant.

So pay them... Pay them an anual salary that reflects the mean average life style of those who work and live in their district, The tax payers... The representative should NOT make more money than those they represent. That is how you remove the hypocrites from the Office. That is how to deal with those who have no skin in the game.

Incorrectomundo, what I said was when your pension is tied to government funding of any type you will be least likely to address any issue that could come up that would affect your funding. I am not talking about someones "401k type contributions or employer matching". Those are VERY different then a pension.

Just to make sure RoadDawg completely understands:

This past week congress voted NOT to remove their "employer contribution" to health care which is 75%. The proposal was to send all government employees (including congress) to the exchange and to remove the 75% employer contribution to the employees health insurance. Many big businesses are doing this.

It was voted "NO".

This is why I have that opinion that when you have ANY candidate that is receiving ANY TYPE of government benefits or funding that they will not cut it when the time comes.

Not_an_outlaw

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 26, 2013
    Prince Frederick, MD
    So pay them... Pay them an anual salary that reflects the mean average life style of those who work and live in their district, The tax payers... The representative should NOT make more money than those they represent. That is how you remove the hypocrites from the Office. That is how to deal with those who have no skin in the game.

I don't agree. Now you won't have anyone willing to run that makes a decent salary. A good legislator who listens to constituents has almost got to do it full time to be effective. Maybe that's your point, and I probably won't disagree, but maybe ineffective legislators would be preferable. Less new laws!

SS396

Forum LEO whipping post
    Aug 19, 2013
    Frederick County
    Well he should have thought out his line first before posting. And he should also be told what no one else has said yet. And that is... Such pensions are not paid solely from the gubbamint budget... If he knew what he was talking about then he would have known that the individual LEO pays a portion of his/her salary into that fund during their career. And the LEO takes a low paying position in a field where they invest their life at a low rate of pay. Much lower in many respects than that of comparable industry. This is known on the front end of the career and accepted because of the potential to receive a decent retirement pay on the back end of that career. Take that away and you will not be able to compete with private industry for the more qualified applicant.

Well put. I wish I had said it this way.

SS396

Forum LEO whipping post
    Aug 19, 2013
    Frederick County
    Incorrectomundo, what I said was when your pension is tied to government funding of any type you will be least likely to address any issue that could come up that would affect your funding. I am not talking about someones "401k type contributions or employer matching". Those are VERY different then a pension.

Just to make sure RoadDawg completely understands:

This past week congress voted NOT to remove their "employer contribution" to health care which is 75%. The proposal was to send all government employees (including congress) to the exchange and to remove the 75% employer contribution to the employees health insurance. Many big businesses are doing this.

It was voted "NO".

This is why I have that opinion that when you have ANY candidate that is receiving ANY TYPE of government benefits or funding that they will not cut it when the time comes.

Just to clarify, many officers contribute to a deferred compensation 401k plan in addition to the retirement they will receive. Many do not want to rely solely on the retirement plan offerred by the county, and for good reason. But, we contribute to the COUNTY FUNDED retirement plan as well. I can't recall the percentage, but we do pay into the pension over the length of our careers.

I do not think the acceptance of a deserved government funded retirement (Police, Fire, or Military), negates your ability as a politician to argue against and defund ridiculous entitlement programs that have not been earned. You all know the programs I am referring to. Maybe if we shortened the ever growing list of government handouts, it wouldn't be too difficult to fund the well deserved retirements of those who protect us.

If you view well earned government pensions for public safety workers as an "entitlement" that we shouldn't have, and there are some that do, then your stance wouldn't surprise me. But keep this in mind, we aren't paid much comparitively speaking, we don't get the large bonuses often seen in the private sector, the work is dangerous and difficult, and as someone mentioned above, we must attract good applicants for the job. The security of a retirement helps to offset what we do not get. There are kids leaving college today that will start at a higher salary than I have now after 23 years with the police department. Yes, I did signed up for it, and I have no regrets.

I know some have talked of making adjustments to the retirement age since people are living longer now. I'm not necessarily opposed to common sense adjustments. This may spark more debate.

pilotguy299

Ultimate Member
    Sep 26, 2010
    FredNeck County, MD
    If Bongino had 12 years with the USSS and no other federal time, I do not believe that he is eligible for receiving any retirement pay at this point. Under FERS he would need 20 years and age 50, or 25 years at any age. There are deferred retirement provisions, but I think the checks don't start until 60, 62, or the MRA.

Or is "any post you make about any federal law enforcement is always wrong."? lol

safecracker

Unrepentant Sinner
    Feb 26, 2009
    If Bongino had 12 years with the USSS and no other federal time, I do not believe that he is eligible for receiving any retirement pay at this point. Under FERS he would need 20 years and age 50, or 25 years at any age. There are deferred retirement provisions, but I think the checks don't start until 60, 62, or the MRA.
    This.

Dan walked away from his benefits and pension when he resigned from the USSS. He gets NO compensation from the government. Also, as he was driving to work the day he resigned, his wife called to tell him she was pregnant. In spite of the additional burden that he knew would place on him and his family, he did resign. And once he did resign, there was no turning back. Dan Bongino is one of the most principled individuals I have ever had the pleasure of meeting. He left behind financial security because he had a clear inside view of the Obama administration's true agenda. He did not like what he saw and sacrificed everything in order to change things. How many of you have the balls to do that???

Dan Bongino is a true and selfless patriot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    dracula

Latest threads

Top Bottom