• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    The one thing I do not like with dan is he is running against government handouts, etc but he has a paid government pension, etc. Yes he earned it but it is a bit hypocritical. I also do not like he is running in a district he does not live in.

So, what is the difference between someone who gets a pension after working 20 years for Ford, IBM, etc and the Government?

jpo183

Ultimate Member
    Mar 20, 2013
    in Maryland
    So, if he earned his pension, how is it a handout? I see a handout as getting something you didn't earn or deserve.

I guess I used the wrong word. I have a hard time picking a person that is receiving government benefits but states he will fight to limit them, etc

Its like the saying goes do not bite the hand that feeds you.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    I guess I used the wrong word. I have a hard time picking a person that is receiving government benefits but states he will fight to limit them, etc

So, then you would have an issue with a 20 year military veteran with a pension running for Congress? How about a park ranger that busted their butt for 20+ years, or a US Park Police officer?

jpo183

Ultimate Member
    Mar 20, 2013
    in Maryland
    So, then you would have an issue with a 20 year military veteran with a pension running for Congress? How about a park ranger that busted their butt for 20+ years, or a US Park Police officer?

Potentially yes.

Think of it this way. The business you work for is in trouble. The way to save it is to cut your own job.

Would you do it?

I am not saying that he doesn't have good principals,etc however I want to see someone with no connection to government come in and make changes. Whenever you mix your dinner plate with "ideas of change" that are opposite I have a hard time believing you will do it.

I do not understand why these republican candidates do not stand higher on principal and say something to the effect that they will only take X of the amount allotted to them then give the rest back (like Ron Paul used to do)

We lead by example, I want to see a real leader not someone that talks the talk.

Edit Blaine Young takes ZERO pay as a commissioner. This is what I want to see.

MagnumFarce

May 3, 2013
    Centreville, MD

The fundamental difference here is between a benefit that someone earned as part of their job and a handout someone gets for being a member of a targeted population for an entitlement program.

Frankly you cannot run on a platform of reducing spending without going after the big 3 of entitlements (Medicare, Medicaid, and Social Security) - that accounts for 2/3 of Federal spending. A good place to start would be means testing these programs -- there is no reason Warren Buffet needs gov't medical insurance and yet, he is automatically entitled to it.

MagnumFarce

May 3, 2013
    Centreville, MD
    Potentially yes.

Think of it this way. The business you work for is in trouble. The way to save it is to cut your own job.

Would you do it?

I am not saying that he doesn't have good principals,etc however I want to see someone with no connection to government come in and make changes. Whenever you mix your dinner plate with "ideas of change" that are opposite I have a hard time believing you will do it.

I do not understand why these republican candidates do not stand higher on principal and say something to the effect that they will only take X of the amount allotted to them then give the rest back (like Ron Paul used to do)

We lead by example, I want to see a real leader not someone that talks the talk.

Edit Blaine Young takes ZERO pay as a commissioner. This is what I want to see.

Put it this way - your business is in trouble because you keep giving away more than you take in. Should you and your employees bear the brunt of these awful decisions?

Matlack

Scribe
    Dec 15, 2008
    The fundamental difference here is between a benefit that someone earned as part of their job and a handout someone gets for being a member of a targeted population for an entitlement program.

Frankly you cannot run on a platform of reducing spending without going after the big 3 of entitlements (Medicare, Medicaid, and Social Security) - that accounts for 2/3 of Federal spending. A good place to start would be means testing these programs -- there is no reason Warren Buffet needs gov't medical insurance and yet, he is automatically entitled to it.

Please note that all working citizens pay into Medicare and SS. These were not intended to be an entitlement program. Anyone who has paid into it should not be blamed for receiving out of it, as they paid into it. These programs need a great deal of reform, such as you only get to take money out if you paid in. There is 0 reason for someone to show up and immediately start taking a withdraw that has never paid a dime into it. This is partly how the SS fund is being drained. The rest involves bad management and "loans".

Same idea with pensions. You did your service to get your reward.

SS396

Forum LEO whipping post
    Aug 19, 2013
    Frederick County
    The one thing I do not like with dan is he is running against government handouts, etc but he has a paid government pension, etc. Yes he earned it but it is a bit hypocritical. I also do not like he is running in a district he does not live in.

Us in law enforcement receive a pension after 25 or 30 plus years of working hard, facing real threats every day, and receiving relatively little pay for it. Not to mention putting our families through the roller coaster schedule and worry that comes with it. They benefit from that retirement too. It has been, up until recently, one of the single best reasons to choose a law enforcement career. You won't get rich in the LE field, and you're lucky if you leave the job without some physical and emotional scaring. I think the least we can do is take care of our police and firefighters. If I want to run for office does that mean I should give up my retirement benefits? Government handouts and police retirement shouldn't even be mentioned in the same sentence. I'm surprised by your comment.

echo6mike

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2013
    Close to DC
    I live in that gerrymandered bastardized lizard of a district. Saw Delaney buy the seat with plain old cash, never heard word one from or about him since.

I'm a DINO now, and if I see some agreement that Bongino is the man (I like what I do know about him) then I'm ready to get some primary action going to take down the incumbent.

Bongino wouldn't be perfect, but way better than more of the same!

And we can vote R or D later anyway. It's all about chipping away at the machine every chance we get!

jpo183

Ultimate Member
    Mar 20, 2013
    in Maryland
    I think a few are missing the point. How can you reform government benefits or any of the type if you are receiving it? You will never vote against your pocket.

You may not disagree, but it is logical. You will never cut your own throat.

This may seem "odd" or elitest, but I think in all reality politicians should receive ZERO pay and ZERO benefits. You got into politics (or when it first became in america) to serve the people not serve your pocket. Remember DC was a swamp and was session was done in the time of year where you didnt have to worry about your crops. No one wanted to stay in DC. Now they never leave......

By taking out any form of funding or connection to government money (this includes pensions) it weeds out the "opportunity to make money" down there.

SS396

Forum LEO whipping post
    Aug 19, 2013
    Frederick County
    I think a few are missing the point. How can you reform government benefits or any of the type if you are receiving it? You will never vote against your pocket.

You may not disagree, but it is logical. You will never cut your own throat.

This may seem "odd" or elitest, but I think in all reality politicians should receive ZERO pay and ZERO benefits. You got into politics (or when it first became in america) to serve the people not serve your pocket. Remember DC was a swamp and was session was done in the time of year where you didnt have to worry about your crops. No one wanted to stay in DC. Now they never leave......

By taking out any form of funding or connection to government money (this includes pensions) it weeds out the "opportunity to make money" down there.

If a POLITICIAN chooses to give up his/her pay for the reasons you state, that's one thing. I have the ability to separate legitimate retirement benefits from welfare benefits, tuition assistance for illegal immigrants, food stamps, Obama phones, section eight housing, etc, etc. I certainly don't think the retirement I will enjoy one day should be considered living off the government dole. Pension benefits are paid to those who have earned them (See my above post). I hardly think pension programs should be lumped in with all of the ridiculous non-earned entitlement programs dragging us down today.

I'm not saying there isn't room for adjustments or improvements in the area of retirement benefits, but as stated before, a 30 year police veteran or military retirement should not be mentioned in the same sentence with government "assistance".

jpo183

Ultimate Member
    Mar 20, 2013
    in Maryland
    If a POLITICIAN chooses to give up his/her pay for the reasons you state, that's one thing. I have the ability to separate legitimate retirement benefits from welfare benefits, tuition assistance for illegal immigrants, food stamps, Obama phones, section eight housing, etc, etc. I certainly don't think the retirement I will enjoy one day should be considered living off the government dole. Pension benefits are paid to those who have earned them (See my above post). I hardly think pension programs should be lumped in with all of the ridiculous non-earned entitlement programs dragging us down today.

I'm not saying there isn't room for adjustments or improvements in the area of retirement benefits, but as stated before, a 30 year police veteran or military retirement should not be mentioned in the same sentence with government "assistance".

I agree and hence why I said above I used the wrong word. A pension is EARNED however IMO whenever your hand is tied to ANY type of government money it can jeopardize the message and the actions that may need to be taken. I believe a perfect example of this is how congress (both sides) exempted themselves from ObamaCare.

Please understand I am not saying you did not work nor earn your pension / retirement. I just prefer to have a complete "government virgin" instead of someone with ties to any type of government money.

janklow

Feb 6, 2013
    Please note that all working citizens pay into Medicare and SS. These were not intended to be an entitlement program. Anyone who has paid into it should not be blamed for receiving out of it, as they paid into it. These programs need a great deal of reform, such as you only get to take money out if you paid in.
    or let's go further and base what you draw out of it on what you paid into it. because this wave of baby boomers will be taking more than they're giving.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    If elected officials receive zero saleries , then that garenties that that will be for sale , and seeking ( even more ) bribes and kickbacks.

You need to learn to diffenentiate between honest work for honest pay and benefit package , and handouts. Preventing anyone former Mil , or LE , or US Atty , or even custodian at Gov't bld would gain anything, and would be a loss to the country

There are plenty of legit reasons to support / not support Dan B. , but being retired from Gov't service isn't one.

Not_an_outlaw

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 26, 2013
    Prince Frederick, MD
    I think what Jpo183 is staitng is that there are some govenment pensions under attack. How many times have people on this board negatively attacked teachers and their pensions. They worked for it and earned it, but they get blamed for the fiscal issues with the government. (State, local, and federal) There are similar complaints with other civil service employees. In many cases, whether you support a pension is based on your political beliefs.

I think Bongino is a bit too agressive to be successful.

RoadDawg

Nos nostraque Deo
    Dec 6, 2010
    I think what Jpo183 is staitng is that there are some govenment pensions under attack. How many times have people on this board negatively attacked teachers and their pensions. They worked for it and earned it, but they get blamed for the fiscal issues with the government. (State, local, and federal) There are similar complaints with other civil service employees. In many cases, whether you support a pension is based on your political beliefs.

I think Bongino is a bit too agressive to be successful.

Well he should have thought out his line first before posting. And he should also be told what no one else has said yet. And that is... Such pensions are not paid solely from the gubbamint budget... If he knew what he was talking about then he would have known that the individual LEO pays a portion of his/her salary into that fund during their career. And the LEO takes a low paying position in a field where they invest their life at a low rate of pay. Much lower in many respects than that of comparable industry. This is known on the front end of the career and accepted because of the potential to receive a decent retirement pay on the back end of that career. Take that away and you will not be able to compete with private industry for the more qualified applicant.

The problem with not paying legislators is that you will only have those that can afford to not be paid be elected. Then, only the upper class is represented.

So pay them... Pay them an anual salary that reflects the mean average life style of those who work and live in their district, The tax payers... The representative should NOT make more money than those they represent. That is how you remove the hypocrites from the Office. That is how to deal with those who have no skin in the game.

UNcommon Arms

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Feb 16, 2011
    Howard County
    This has already been tried by a few DINOs.

A lot of gun shops want to stay out of politics.

They don't want to offend their Left and Moderate gun owning customers.

To them money is money no matter what party a person belongs to.

It's the same old song and dance and it's the reason why things won't change in this state any time soon.

Go DINO!!!
    Many people & businesses put $$ paycheck $$ before principle. NOT ME! The gun shops that are afraid of offending a few liberal left loon gun buyers for a few $$$ today are precipitating their own demise as eventually the laws will become so onerous as to drive them out of business.

Last edited:

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    I live in that gerrymandered bastardized lizard of a district. Saw Delaney buy the seat with plain old cash, never heard word one from or about him since.

I'm a DINO now, and if I see some agreement that Bongino is the man (I like what I do know about him) then I'm ready to get some primary action going to take down the incumbent.

Bongino wouldn't be perfect, but way better than more of the same!

And we can vote R or D later anyway. It's all about chipping away at the machine every chance we get!

This!

The problem with not paying legislators is that you will only have those that can afford to not be paid be elected. Then, only the upper class is represented.

Yes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    dracula

Latest threads

Top Bottom