• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mxrider

Former MSI Treasurer
    Aug 20, 2012
    Edgewater, MD
    youve ask a lawyer and didnt get the answer you wanted.. now ask the forum.. lol

either hire a diff (pro 2a) lawyer.. ;)

Taken completely out of context. Our lawyer only clarified the ownership status of the property. She completely deferred regarding my additional questions as that is not her area of knowledge.

sgt23preston

USMC LLA. NRA Life Member
    May 19, 2011
    Perry Hall
    Time to do some searching :)

All valid points. Our Condominium association does own the property, and we members of that association are actual owners through it. I point this out by means that we recently tried to designate parking spots and our attorney informed us that we can't due to the fact that each person owns all common areas jointly. This is what got me thinking of the whole idea.

For those that are suggesting taking it to the BOD, I happen to be the president of it and have at least 2 other members that I believe would be on my side of this. It may be something that we can actually put into our rules.

If you want to see how much of the common property you own,

Set up a barbecue grill in the common area & start cooking...

You will get slammed & fined by your Condo Association...

They purposely have funny rules...

mxrider

Former MSI Treasurer
    Aug 20, 2012
    Edgewater, MD
    If someone calls 911, and you are caught in a common area. Kiss your freedom goodbye.

I'm just trying to explore possibilities, not saying it will work.

If there is written permission in the rules to allow for carry on the property, how is that different than you giving me permission to carry on your property?

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    Taken completely out of context. Our lawyer only clarified the ownership status of the property. She completely deferred regarding my additional questions as that is not her area of knowledge.

my point exactly... hire another lawyer that has 2a background that can support the new rules you want to add to your condo associations.. asking here is no way any better than what your current lawyer said.

or contact the ip lawyers.. :)
    maybe lucky if any deal with condo and 2a.

dealing with with common use area. is a whole new monster.

BIGCHRISS197

Jul 4, 2013
    I provide contracted security on 6 condo properties and a town home community, I'm gonna say there probably isn't a work around for this that wouldn't be overly complicated or expensive. Even licensed ARMED security is considered too much of a liability by the management company as their insurance wouldn't cover it or the cost would be too high.

Alutacon

Desert Storm
    May 22, 2013
    Bowie
    I've been thinking about something along these same lines the past few days. In that light, I have a question for the knowledgeable ones out there: is it legal, in MD, to CC a blue practice gun? Or even OC? I have my Utah license, but obviously can't use it in MD, but I would like to become accustomed to carrying on a more regular basis so I have a better idea of clothing fit and familiarity.

OC I'm interested in purely for the sake of civil protest and desensitization campaign.

Thoughts?

No one is desensitized by seeing someone else OC. Exposing an anti-gunner to OC is a sure fire way to make sure that you will never sway them into changing their views. OC is one, if not the, worse thing that we do to try to advance our cause. It does nothing but hurt us and make us look like a bunch of fanatics. We know that we are not, but remember, perception is reality.

BIGCHRISS197

Jul 4, 2013
    No one is desensitized by seeing someone else OC. Exposing an anti-gunner to OC is a sure fire way to make sure that you will never sway them into changing their views. OC is one, if not the, worse thing that we do to try to advance our cause. It does nothing but hurt us and make us look like a bunch of fanatics. We know that we are not, but remember, perception is reality.
    Everyone always says what is a bad idea but never what is a good idea, not that I disagree, the ar15 carrying people that like to invoke a scene in no way help. But what should be done to help outside of fight in the courtroom, a bake sale with gun shaped cookies?

Alutacon

Desert Storm
    May 22, 2013
    Bowie
    Everyone always says what is a bad idea but never what is a good idea, not that I disagree, the ar15 carrying people that like to invoke a scene in no way help. But what should be done to help outside of fight in the courtroom, a bake sale with gun shaped cookies?

fair question. i think you have to have outreach programs directed at people who are from communities that are not typically interested in legal gun ownership. my gun club has free days when kids can come to our range and shoot for free. it gives us an opportunity to reach out to people who might not otherwise ever lay hands on a gun. i think the gun community has to try to do the same things in social areas where guns are not typically embraced. the reason "liberals" don't embrace guns (and I am a liberal) is because too many of us, liberals and conservatives alike, engage in group think. we are a two party, group think kind of nation. either your republican so you subscribe to this broad set of views or you are a democrat and you subscribe to this other set of views. simple truth is guns are fun whatever your political views and we need to expose people to the gun sports who would not otherwise come into contact with it.

let's face it, forums like this are great for a bunch of reasons, but they do next to nothing to convert anyone. let's face it, we are all preaching to the choir here. if you are on this forum you don't need convincing. we need to reach out to the places where people do. need convincing.

CypherPunk

Opinions Are My Own
    Apr 6, 2012
    I would suggest that the prior assertion that a friend can give you written permission to carry on his/her property, is patently false.

There are several enumerated permitted reasons, and none are even close.

Dmacri25

Ultimate Member
    Mar 15, 2014
    BelAir,MD
    I live in a condo, I carry inside but I also clean my guns on my balcony. I've assumed this to be legal, no different then being in a back yard.

mxrider

Former MSI Treasurer
    Aug 20, 2012
    Edgewater, MD
    I would suggest that the prior assertion that a friend can give you written permission to carry on his/her property, is patently false.

Would you please go into more detail with regards to this as I am truly inquisitive.

matt

No one special
    Apr 9, 2011
    I live in a condo, I carry inside but I also clean my guns on my balcony. I've assumed this to be legal, no different then being in a back yard.
    If your balcony is deeded/leased to you/your dwelling- you're good.

I'd try real hard to maintain good muzzle control and avoid "checking the sights" while cleaning that might be taken as a "threat" by a nosey/hoplophobic neighbor.

Dmacri25

Ultimate Member
    Mar 15, 2014
    BelAir,MD
    If your balcony is deeded/leased to you/your dwelling- you're good.

I'd try real hard to maintain good muzzle control and avoid "checking the sights" while cleaning that might be taken as a "threat" by a nosey/hoplophobic neighbor.
    I'm very careful to never point the muzzle past the walls of my balcony, I'm on the third floor so I'm kinda out of sight. The rest of my building loves me and say they feel very protected. Too bad its a hassle to defend and protect my own property let alone theirs. If push comes to shove, if someone else is on danger ill do what it takes. If it takes me going to jail to save an innocent so be it.

Mr H

Banana'd

I agree with this on a technical basis, but believe there are also points within the laws which may provide some circumstances for Private Property Open Carry (my term) in MD.

I'm not prepared to go into them here, but I'm looking into whether it's even something to pursue.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Kdaily1127

Latest threads

Top Bottom