Carry question, Absolute newby concidering going there, so excuse the simplicity)

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    No, you do not. Guns over 50 years old are exempt,

'cause 50 years ago no one knew how to make a truly deadly handgun. /sarcasm off
    ...so the lung vaporizing 9mm round came along sometime after 1973?

Just kidding!

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    OK, stupid question.
    How do I qualify with a handgun when I don't have a permit to buy one to qualify with?
    :tinfoil2:
    :banghead:
    You can barrow one without an HQL from a friend, or from the instructor.
    You can also purchase a C&R handgun (50 years or older) without an HQL, but still a seven(7) day wait.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    "CCW" is just an unfortunate internet term that doesn't even mean anything.

The term "Wear and Carry" is specific to Maryland and seems to have come into use after the Woollard decision was suppressed and Maryland procedures were changed, about 2013. That's when I first noticed it, and I don't recall seeing it before then.

Actually, the Maryland permit just says, "Handgun Permit".

Other states use different terms. In Pennsylvania it's a "License to Carry Firearms", or LTCF. I think my old Florida permit was a "Concealed Weapons Permit." In Virginia it's a "Concealed Handgun Permit".

Like I said, "CCW" is an internet thing, and people use it interchangeably to refer to the permit as well as the weapon. It's actually a bit annoying.
    Several of my permits say Concealed Weapon permit.

CCW simply means Concealed Carry Weapon

Batt816

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 1, 2018
    Eastern Shore
    OK, stupid question.
    How do I qualify with a handgun when I don't have a permit to buy one to qualify with?
    I can teach you the class, provide You a handgun, and even do your passport photo. The only other thing you will need is live scan fingerprints. I am on the Eastern Shore, in Cordova.

Last edited:

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    And if you are exmilitary with Honorable Discharge, your DD214 exempts you from the MD W&C training requirement. For vets interested in what the other half have to go thru, I offer them the class at no charge.

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    C&R doesn't work for the CMP 1911s. I dunno why, but it's their store. So figure an extra 40 bucks or so for the transfer. At least they don't hit you for sales tax, IIRC.

No HQL needed in MD for the CMP pistols; they're all old enough to fall under the MD C&R handgun exemption.

I believe you still need to be affiliated with a club they recognise.

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    C&R doesn't work for the CMP 1911s. I dunno why, but it's their store. So figure an extra 40 bucks or so for the transfer. At least they don't hit you for sales tax, IIRC.

No HQL needed in MD for the CMP pistols; they're all old enough to fall under the MD C&R handgun exemption.

The CMP had to agree to only ship them to FFLs otherwise they weren’t going to be allowed to sell them IIRC

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012

You have to meet the CMP Purchase Eligibility Requirements.

For the Newbies the Civilian Marksmanship Program (CMP) sells surplus M1 Garand rifles, 1911 pistols, and other items in order to promote civilian marksmanship.

Last edited:

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    OK, stupid question.

Use a handgun that you brought with you when you moved into Maryland.

Purchase a handgun that is exempt from HQL ( still requires 77R process and 7 day wait ).

Use a handgun supplied by Instructor . ( Many will do this either standard , or on request)

Borrow without money changing hands , from Md resident who considers you trustworthy . ( Think relative , or very good friend ).

One other way , that I decline to publicly mention in this thread .

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    ...so the lung vaporizing 9mm round came along sometime after 1973?

Just kidding!

I know this is sarcasm to point out the inherent absurdity .

But actually circa 1973 was the dawning of readily available modern-ish 9mm JHP .

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    and it's prudent to practice before you qualify.

I'm running the risk of reigniting a thermonuclear debate here . Yes , it is wise to obtain a reasonable semblance of actual competency , before carrying for social purposes .

But in the context of meeting the actual Maryland Requirements to fulfill your Poll Tax , the limiting factor is freeing 16 hours of your life , at the same time your chosen Instructor is offering the class .

If you're awake in class , and your physical handicaps aren't too severe , plenty of students pass the shooting portion , the first time they hold a firearm .

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Several of my permits say Concealed Weapon permit.

CCW simply means Concealed Carry Weapon

Yes , but you are a knowledgeable gun person .

In the non enthusiast general public , " CCW " is also used commonly to refer to the Permit .

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom