Carry question, Absolute newby concidering going there, so excuse the simplicity)

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    WTF is this chit.
    I guess you need to get a HGP to buy a handgun in MD.
    Nope, that would be a Handgun Qualification License (HQL(

But you need a W&C (AKA CCW for CA DOJ) to carry in MD.
    Yep

I suppose with a W&C that satisfies the HGP requirement to buy a handgun in MD.
    Nope, W&C allows you to carry only, not purchase.

But you can get a collectors license to allow you to get more quicker on your HGP for a fee.
    First, there is no collectors license, it is a Designated Collectors Letter.

It is free.

Then the handgun needs to be on the roster?
    Only if manufactured after 1985.

MD has trumped CA on this chit.
    Not quite, but really close.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Once a handgun is on the Roster , it stays on the Roster forever . No removals , or continuing fees .

BFMIN

Ultimate Member
    Nov 5, 2010
    Eastern shore
    Wow!
    I had no idea I'd opened such a can o' worms.
    Thanks folks
    so to precis.
    2 permits, one to purchase (HQL) & another to carry (W&C), both with separate training classes & checks?

308Scout

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 27, 2020
    Washington County
    Wow!
    I had no idea I'd opened such a can o' worms.
    Thanks folks
    so to precis.
    2 permits, one to purchase (HQL) & another to carry (W&C), both with separate training classes & checks?
    If you do the W&C first, you can get the HQL for free when the W&C is approved (without needing a separate class, fingerprints, etc.).

MSI outlines the process for doing this on their W&C page.

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    If you take the Wear & Carry class (and pay for it, get the prints, apply, and get your permit), you can THEN skip a step (the HQL class and associated cost and another set of prints) by applying for the HQL with a free waiver of all of that. If you want the HQL before you get the W&C, then you have to pay twice, print twice, apply twice, and savor the wonderfulness of The Free State twice.

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    OK, stupid question.
    How do I qualify with a handgun when I don't have a permit to buy one to qualify with?
    :tinfoil2:
    :banghead:
    When you're shopping for a W&C class, see if the instructor has something to let you use as part of the class.

If you're completely new and haven't handled a handgun before, you should be taking a basic pistol class (say, the NRA flavor) which also can provide you with something to handle/shoot while you get the basics down. You can also rent a handgun (or several!) at many ranges, thereby also getting a sense for what you may want to purchase. But total newness should get you first in front of a capable acquaintance with things to shoot and time to show you the ropes, or into a class so that your W&C course isn't the first time you've shot anything.

Yes, it IS insane. That's how Maryland's deep-blue monolithic government wants it: gun owning should be as administratively and logistically expensive and troublesome as possible so that icky gun people leave state.

TI-tick

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    MDS Supporter
    OK, stupid question.
    How do I qualify with a handgun when I don't have a permit to buy one to qualify with?
    :tinfoil2:
    :banghead:
    That's not a stupid question. Ignore those from DE; they like those nasty ass tomato pie potato chips.:D

Maybe find someone who wants to qualify for a W&C and attend the same class and you could share the qualifying firearm? ;)

Or maybe an instructor would have a loaner; IDK about this one and it's prudent to practice before you qualify.

Occam beat me to it.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    This is how it's legally defined in COMAR.
    Screenshot 2023-08-22 144133.png

linkstate

Ultimate Member
    Jan 26, 2013
    Howard County
    Agree with Occam. Once you take the NRA or similar basic pistol class (not required but good to do if completely new) ask the instructor where you want to take your W&C about a loaner firearm and what that would be. Then go to a range and rent that pistol. Most instructors seem to have a Glock 17 or 19 on hand.

Also ask the W&C instructor if they are using the required B-27 target.

That target is huge.

jc1240

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 18, 2013
    Westminster, MD
    Guntry provided them to the W&C folks who needed them, but I do not remember if gratis or rental.

EDIT: holy crap, I can't believe it's been a year since I took that class. I swear time accelerates with age.

FeelTheNoise

WTF
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 11, 2015
    Cecil County
    I feel bad for @BFMIN getting all this dumped on them when trying to get an answer to (what should be) a simple question, but I always get a kick of how clearly absurd the rules in MD sound when laid out one after another in a thread like this. It took almost two pages just to get a high level view of how to legally carry a pistol.

Between HQL/HGP and the all the rules regarding the 2013 ban, getting an answer out of lawmakers on what laws are actually saying always reminds me of this classic:

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    True, but you need a C&R.

No, you don't.
    You can buy a handgun made in or before 1973 without a C&R license. You're just buying an older gun. A lot of gun stores have older used guns for sale.

You do not need an HQL to buy a handgun made in or before 1973.

If you do have a C&R license, you can receive it in interstate commerce, shipped to your door.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom