Can I add a pistol brace after purchase with a form 1?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DocPeanut

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 20, 2010
    You're going to be too short for an SBR if you live in Md. You will have to make up a 3.5" shortfall to make the 29" minimum overall length. There are solutions for that...

That said, if you live in Md, you can keep it as a pistol and go back to using a brace. Md. is OK with braced pistols, for now.

ETA: Understand that, if you do take you AR9 pistol out of Md, you will have to remove the brace. It will then become an unregistered(with ATF) SBR with the brace on.
    Well that’s a bummer but I think the SBA4 should work for the brace

Growler215

Ultimate Member
    Dec 30, 2020
    SOMD
    I'm not sure I understand all of this so what are my brace/stock options with this S&W M&P15-22P 22LR Pistol that was shipped to me without a brace? I got this after the brace ban, waiting for the courts to figure it out? She's all alone in a cardboard box? So Sad!
    116122-DEFAULT-l.jpg

Thanks, Red
    For a .22lr, rather than get a tax stamp you could get an SB mini. You would need to have the pistol buffer tube. Wouldn't recommend an SB mini for anything that kicks too hard, but it should work fine with .22lr.

1698065355178.png

Last edited:

Redbean

Redbean
    Jan 14, 2017
    Beltsville, Maryland
    Growler215, you're saying it will be okay for me to put a SB Mini on my .22 LR pistol? Also, the S&W M&P15-22P 22LR Pistol's buffer tube is cosmetic only and does not actually function. So, you're suggestion with the SB Mini will work for me, right? Thanks, Red

Last edited:

Growler215

Ultimate Member
    Dec 30, 2020
    SOMD
    Growler215, you're saying it will be okay for me to put a SA Mini on my .22 LR pistol? Also, the S&W M&P15-22P 22LR Pistol's buffer tube is cosmetic only and does not actually function. So, you're suggestion with the SB Mini will work for me, right? Thanks, Red
    Yes to both. SB Mini only fits on pistol buffer tube. And ATF Factoring Criteria for Stabilizing Braces uses SB Mini as an example of one that "passes" their points scheme, hence no Form 1 needed.

Redbean

Redbean
    Jan 14, 2017
    Beltsville, Maryland
    Awesome! I just have to figure out what kind of tube/diameter is on this thing. It's permanently attached so I'm not sure if this SB Mini will fit? Thanks for the help.

Last edited:

Growler215

Ultimate Member
    Dec 30, 2020
    SOMD
    Awesome! I just have to figure out what kind of tube/diameter is on this thing. It's permanently attached so I'm not sure if this SM Mini will fit? Thanks for the help.
    One other potential problem just occured to me: the ATF Factoring Crieria only applies if your firearm weighs at least 64 oz with empty mag installed and accessories (brace) removed, and is between 12 and 26 inches. If it's lighter than that, ATF figures you don't need a brace. Not a problem for most ARs, but with a polymer frame, empty buffer tube, lighter weight bcg, etc., the 15-22 might not make the minimum weight limit. Sorry.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    One other potential problem just occured to me: the ATF Factoring Crieria only applies if your firearm weighs at least 64 oz with empty mag installed and accessories (brace) removed, and is between 12 and 26 inches. If it's lighter than that, ATF figures you don't need a brace. Not a problem for most ARs, but with a polymer frame, empty buffer tube, lighter weight bcg, etc., the 15-22 might not make the minimum weight limit. Sorry.
    They took their queue from Merryland lawmakers.

I'm just going to say, if you go outside of Md, take the brace off if you don't have a stamp on that gun.

Redbean

Redbean
    Jan 14, 2017
    Beltsville, Maryland
    I'm not sure I understand all of this so what are my brace/stock options with this S&W M&P15-22P 22LR Pistol that was shipped to me without a brace? I got this after the brace ban, waiting for the courts to figure it out? She's all alone in a cardboard box? So Sad!
    116122-DEFAULT-l.jpg

Thanks, Red
    Okay, I'd like to come back to this. I bought the SB Mini for this. Am I good to go now with the recent ruling?

Also, I'd like to add this Romeo 5. We good?
    Romeo-5-new-LF.jpg

Redbean

Redbean
    Jan 14, 2017
    Beltsville, Maryland
    Cool. Thanks Outrider58. Hope retirement is treating you well. I'm still working part time with my delivery work (Sig Sauer is killing me). Thinking about another CMP M1 Garand Service Grade? Red

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Cool. Thanks Outrider58. Hope retirement is treating you well. I'm still working part time with my delivery work (Sig Sauer is killing me). Thinking about another CMP M1 Garand Service Grade? Red
    You got it Redbean!

I'm lovin' life, my friend!

Trumpet

SCSC/NRA life member. MSI member
    Oct 29, 2005
    So, are braces good to go or not anymore? I can't keep up with this ******** (which is all part of their plan). I mean PSA and others are selling braced pistols again. I was considering an AP5 to SBR but frankly all the "hacks" to get it MD compliant are kinda gross. So, I was thinking of just getting an AP5P and putting a brace on it. Now, I'm not sure what the hell is going on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Wolfloc22

Latest threads

Top Bottom