Can I add a pistol brace after purchase with a form 1?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DocPeanut

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 20, 2010
    I’m sorry if this has already been addressed. I recently ordered a pistol with a buffer tube instead of a brace. Once I take possession, can I file an e-form 1 and then put a brace on once/if approved?

Thanks

Growler215

Ultimate Member
    Dec 30, 2020
    SOMD
    Yup.

And if it will meet MD overall length requirement after doing so, you can put an adjustable stock on it with a carbine buffer tube after approval. If not, stick with a brace. The SBA4 is nice. . .

1697905727502.png

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Nice, by any chance, do you know the Maryland OAL requirement?
    If it will be over 29" with stock fully extended, you can get an SBR stamp and not worry about a silly brace.

I'm pretty positive the free stamp thing has come and gone. I'm not even sure if they will still grant you a stamp for a gun under 29", brace or not.

DocPeanut

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 20, 2010
    •••edit - I’m using the term brace but really meaning shoulder stock, gonna go with the SBA4, if approved

Looks like with the stock/brace fully extended I’ll be at 29.75, this does not include the 3” faux suppressor.

I know the free stamp is gone, gonna do an e-file form 1 and send them 200 bucks and hope for a positive outcome.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    •••edit - I’m using the term brace but really meaning shoulder stock, gonna go with the SBA4, if approved

Looks like with the stock/brace fully extended I’ll be at 29.75, this does not include the 3” faux suppressor.

I know the free stamp is gone, gonna do an e-file form 1 and send them 200 bucks and hope for a positive outcome.
    SBA4 is a brace. It doesn't really matter what you use at this point, they are all going to be considered a "stock". Might as well use a real stock. :shrug:

Growler215

Ultimate Member
    Dec 30, 2020
    SOMD
    The only reason to use a brace is if you cant meet length requirement with a stock, since MSP considers braced pistols to still be pistols.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Any brand you’d recommend?
    If you don't mind a little wiggle, magpul carbine stocks are okay. They have a wide assortment. I'm liking this style right now, but I have many others.

If you want a really tight fit, I like Hogue rubber overmoldeds. They have a really tight fit to the buffer tube.

In either case, you will have to determine whether your gun has a commercial tube or a mil spec tube.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I’m sorry if this has already been addressed. I recently ordered a pistol with a buffer tube instead of a brace. Once I take possession, can I file an e-form 1 and then put a brace on once/if approved?

Thanks
    What is the caliber and barrel length of your pistol barrel?

Redbean

Redbean
    Jan 14, 2017
    Beltsville, Maryland
    I'm not sure I understand all of this so what are my brace/stock options with this S&W M&P15-22P 22LR Pistol that was shipped to me without a brace? I got this after the brace ban, waiting for the courts to figure it out? She's all alone in a cardboard box? So Sad!
    116122-DEFAULT-l.jpg

Thanks, Red

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    I'm not sure I understand all of this so what are my brace/stock options with this S&W M&P15-22P 22LR Pistol that was shipped to me without a brace? I got this after the brace ban, waiting for the courts to figure it out? She's all alone in a cardboard box? So Sad!
    116122-DEFAULT-l.jpg

Thanks, Red
    Join fpc, put a brace on it.
    Screenshot_20231019_213411_Word.jpg

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    9mm, 8” barrel. I’m gonna swap out the buffer tube for a mil spec
    You're going to be too short for an SBR if you live in Md. You will have to make up a 3.5" shortfall to make the 29" minimum overall length. There are solutions for that...

That said, if you live in Md, you can keep it as a pistol and go back to using a brace. Md. is OK with braced pistols, for now.

ETA: Understand that, if you do take you AR9 pistol out of Md, you will have to remove the brace. It will then become an unregistered(with ATF) SBR with the brace on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Wolfloc22

Latest threads

Top Bottom