• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bigalf

Apr 1, 2012
    Fort Meade
    Hey Shooters
    Anyone know anything about the AR line of optics from Bushnell. Particularly the 4.5-18? I cant really seem to find anything specific to that scope. I guess the follow up question to that is, what do you think about these "AR" specific scope, gimmick, genius, or other. Any other thoughts on versatile scopes also welcome. Already have a red dot with 6x mag for my CQB/tactical rifle. Price is where I want to be, rifle is a 20" bull barrel I'm building for some hunting/bench shooting.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    I am not a fan of BDC reticles, especially for longer ranges. They are only god for ONE load and at one set of conditions (altitude, pressure, temperature).

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    I am not a fan of BDC reticles, especially for longer ranges. They are only god for ONE load and at one set of conditions (altitude, pressure, temperature).
    That's not exactly true. You simply need to know what the hashes correspond to in other conditions and loads. Carrying a few BDC cheat sheets might be preferable to trying to calculate with mils (and, let's face it, most people with mil scopes need cheat sheets, too). Primary Arms will give you the numbers for your BDC if you give them your load, for example.

Also, 55gr 5.56x45 does not vary that wildly. The stuff at the very end of the BDC might be a bit off, but it won't make much difference early on.

I have the Bushnell AR Optics 1-4x throw down PCL scope. Other than being on the heavy side, it's an excellent scope for the money.

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    I agree. I use a Burris MTAC BDC scope and any 55-62g .223/5.56 that has NATO velocity is good out to around the 600 yard dot and all the shorter ones. Only need cheat sheets for 69-77g past 400 yards. If the conditions are bad enough to throw everything off it will affect any kind of scope and ammo combo. I find BDC scopes are good when you have to shoot longer than you can practice at. I have successfully shot FFP MRAD scopes after memorizing a single set of ballistics at much longer ranges than I was able to sight in at but I find a BDC scope means I don't have to use a cheat sheet at 400 yards and under. While I don't currently use any of the new Bushnell AR Optics I know several shooters who use the 1-4x scopes in 3-gun and I think they are a good bargain as an entry level scope for that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Millebar

Latest threads

Top Bottom