• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Abacab

Sep 10, 2009
    MD

fightinbluhen51

"Quack Pot Call Honker"
    Oct 31, 2008
    I can't wait till the FOP calls me and asks for a donation.
    Me too. I'm going to straight up use this as a reason why I won't send them a dime.

I've used every excuse in the book to not give them money because I was waiting to see what they'd do come election time. No mas.

Decoy

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 2, 2007
    Dystopia
    Me too. I'm going to straight up use this as a reason why I won't send them a dime.

I've used every excuse in the book to not give them money because I was waiting to see what they'd do come election time. No mas.

Not me I have given them money for 10 years. Never again. They have tons of pro brown and anti-gun posts on their web page and Facebook page, they can suck it.

http://www.mdstatefop.org/

Blackstar65

Ultimate Member
    Jun 27, 2010
    Somebody got paid off?

Its fear. Many of the lodges fear we good reason Brown will go out of his way to punish labor if he wasn't endorsed. The endorsement may not mean much since most will not vote for him.

zoostation

, ,
    Jan 28, 2007
    Abingdon
    The Republicans can largely thank Laura Neumann and John Grasso in Anne Arundel County, and their enthusiastic and partially successful attempts to kick retirees out of the county health care system (which by the way the retirees still contribute to), for the current endorsement going to the other side. Rightly or wrongly, no organization is going to endorse a party that wants to make an ideological point by screwing over its most vulnerable members.

Few people in police departments care for liberal politicians, gun control, or most other things the democratic party in this state stands for. I don't think very many are happy about the endorsement. However, the alternative of running back and lovingly licking the hand that keeps smacking you down like some kind of abused dog is even more distasteful for most. While personally I'll never vote for Anthony Brown or any other leftist, years of watching the abuse of police employees by successive Republican administrations in AA County have also brought me to realize that where politicians are concerned, there really is little difference in the two sides of the party coin.

Not_an_outlaw

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 26, 2013
    Prince Frederick, MD
    The Republicans can largely thank Laura Neumann and John Grasso in Anne Arundel County, and their enthusiastic and partially successful attempts to kick retirees out of the county health care system (which by the way the retirees still contribute to), for the current endorsement going to the other side. Rightly or wrongly, no organization is going to endorse a party that wants to make an ideological point by screwing over its most vulnerable members.

Few people in police departments care for liberal politicians, gun control, or most other things the democratic party in this state stands for. I don't think very many are happy about the endorsement. However, the alternative of running back and lovingly licking the hand that keeps smacking you down like some kind of abused dog is even more distasteful for most. While personally I'll never vote for Anthony Brown or any other leftist, years of watching the abuse of police employees by successive Republican administrations in AA County have also brought me to realize that where politicians are concerned, there really is little difference in the two sides of the party coin.

Thanks for putting that much more eloquently.

fred333

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 20, 2013
    While personally I'll never vote for Anthony Brown or any other leftist, years of watching the abuse of police employees by successive Republican administrations in AA County have also brought me to realize that where politicians are concerned, there really is little difference in the two sides of the party coin.

True, but one party would confiscate guns if not for the other party.

fightinbluhen51

"Quack Pot Call Honker"
    Oct 31, 2008

The big problem is that at some point, one generation of public servant is goin to pay for the sins of too many promises with pensions not properly funded.

Just like social security, when the benefits outstrip the contributions, hello major problem.

I do understand your comment, but to blame the repubics soley for wanting to cut pensions is like trying to blame the smoker for every forest fire. My point being what you said, both sides of the policial coin are basically the joker and his evil alternate personality.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    The reason Brown was endorsed was that the Republicans are making a push to defund government retirements. Teacher, firefighters, and police are in that group.

But the Democrats are doing that all on their own. Mayor SRB restructured city pensions; O'Malley spent over 3 billion over the last two years, while cutting pension funding $700 million, reneging on a 2011 deal.

Unfortunately, the pension system is up against a limit dictated by math, and neither party has the power to repeal the laws of math.

Pensions in Maryland will probably get restructured. They will get restructured less if the economy is strong and we spend less money on things that don't work and instead fund pensions. If we have a recession (we have never gone 10 years without a recession, and its been about 5), the stock market will go down 20% blowing a huge hole in pension funding. Even worse, a weak Maryland economy means fewer tax dollars to collect.

The best only way to minimize pension shortfall is to vote for the guy who will spend the least (leaving more money to fund pensions) and keep the economy the strongest.

fightinbluhen51

"Quack Pot Call Honker"
    Oct 31, 2008
    But the Democrats are doing that all on their own. Mayor SRB restructured city pensions; O'Malley spent over 3 billion over the last two years, while cutting pension funding $700 million, reneging on a 2011 deal.

Unfortunately, the pension system is up against a limit dictated by math, and neither party has the power to repeal the laws of math.

Pensions in Maryland will probably get restructured. They will get restructured less if the economy is strong and we spend less money on things that don't work and instead fund pensions. If we have a recession (we have never gone 10 years without a recession, and its been about 5), the stock market will go down 20% blowing a huge hole in pension funding. Even worse, a weak Maryland economy means fewer tax dollars to collect.

The best only way to minimize pension shortfall is to vote for the guy who will spend the least (leaving more money to fund pensions) and keep the economy the strongest.
    Or to vote for the guy that will actually keep business in the state of maryland rather than scaring them off by ruining their business model and jacking up their taxes.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    Or to vote for the guy that will actually keep business in the state of maryland rather than scaring them off by ruining their business model and jacking up their taxes.

== make the economy strong.

When people say unemployment is down in Maryland, remind them that almost as many people have dropped out of the labor force as have taken jobs

Over the last year, about 24k new jobs, about 20k have dropped out of the labor force.

That is only slightly better than 50-50.

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    The reason Brown was endorsed was that the Republicans are making a push to defund government retirements. Teacher, firefighters, and police are in that group.

State retirement funds have been intentionally and severely underfunded for years by MD Democrats in order to fund other pet projects/boondoggles.

Not_an_outlaw

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 26, 2013
    Prince Frederick, MD
    State retirement funds have been intentionally and severely underfunded for years by MD Democrats in order to fund other pet projects/boondoggles.

Thanks for saying that. Teachers, for one, have had the new hires pay more for retirement. If MD had kept up with their obligations to fund their pensions at the level the law required, they would be solvent (or stronger). I'm not sure how the state got away without paying the required amount.

And I agree that the governor shouldn't be pushing employers out because he doesn't like their product. I wonder how much tax money was lost buying out tobacco farmers.

QuebecoisWolf

Ultimate Member
    May 14, 2008
    Anne Arundel
    Honestly? Forget about pensions and policy. The cold, hard fact is that it is overwhelmingly likely that Brown will win and the last thing that the FOP wants is to endorse a loser and find themselves at the complete mercy of vengeful Democrats. Even if Hogan does win, the Dems will still control everything else in Annapolis and will make life miserable for anyone who endorsed him and is beholden to the state. About the best deal Hogan could possibly get is that the FOP might delay its endorsement for while.

It's how the game works. If you want to play politics at the state level in Maryland, you bend a knee to the Democratic Party.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    GD-3

Latest threads

Top Bottom