Best 'all purpose' self-defense handgun for $300?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Markp

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2008
    Mark, what about the rear sight? Wouldn't it be better for CCW to have something that might be less prone to getting snagged?

Bryan

The all purpose part is what made me hesitate on recommending the LCP.

I agree, that would, but with a new shooter, sight picture and alignment ease is everything.

demmo

Apr 26, 2009
    I know a lot of people don't like this gun because of the trigger but it goes bang every time and it meets the budget requirements.

Smith and Wesson Sigma

hole punch

Paper Target Slayer
    Sep 29, 2008
    Washington Co.
    http://www.southernohiogun.com/pps-43c-pistol.html

SHG-PPS43C.jpg

SOG has them marked down to $289. May print a bit under your shirt, but should give instant respect with the criminal class...

On a more serious note- the advice to wait and get a higher quality more expensive gun is very good. Otherwise he is likely to be selling that first purchase at a loss.

is that on the handgun roster yet? :rolleyes:

matt_b89

Apr 5, 2011
    Allegany County/Frostburg
    i stick with my earlier post about a lightweight revolver that could possibly shoot .357 if it had to and shoot .38s with your wife OR what scars saying and go with a ruger p series auto in that price range. BEST gun you'll find in that price range NEW. I have a p89 that was my fathers and it runs like a sewing machine. Very easy to disassemble as well. Remember though if you go p89 route(what I own)or earlier such as p85 and the various other calibers throughout those series are steel framed guns unlike the p95 which is polymer. That said there isn't a whole lot of weight difference and I like the metal on the handgun because it adds a little extra strength and weight to balance out that recoil. Very shootable gun.

jaredm1

Ultimate Member
    Nov 22, 2008
    Shrewsbury
    Is the budget flexible at all? Staying under $400 I would get either a SIG P6 trade-in or a Glock 17 trade-in. Staying under $300 I honestly can't think of much I would recommend.

trapture

Surplus Rifle Lover
    Apr 27, 2007
    Dundalk-Ish
    Ok skimmed your post.... #1 if he has CCW and no real firearms experience he must take a course on anything just boost his knowledge. Knowledge is power and can save your life. and #2 I didn't see anyone post it but a Highpoint 9mm is not a bad gun for that price range. I personally don't keep tract of what Highpoint produces but I bet they have a compact version of their 9mm.

parbreak

Ultimate Member
    Feb 18, 2008
    OK, everybody start laughing, but I'm going to post it anyway, Taurus Model 85, 4" barrel, 38 spl.

I have one that must have 1000's of rounds thru it as it is used extensively in our training classes and gets beat to death. Dead solid accurate and would make a fine home defense revolver and not too bad to carry with the right rig and clothing, etc.

Bit more than $300.00 if I recall but not much. Should meet the parameters as laid out.

Bryan

ozwyn

Ultimate Member
    Apr 21, 2008
    Richardson, Texas
    Well....

spend 200 bucks and get them both to a NRA personal protection class.

Then spend another 100 bucks in ammo and have them shoot a bunch of your guns.

Now they have enough training and experience to make their own good decision - and this will do your friends a world of good in terms of making the best choices. Also gives them foundation skills for life in defensive shooting.

That's the best thing a friend can do for them IMO. Give them the foundation for making choices that will fit both of them.

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    OK, everybody start laughing, but I'm going to post it anyway, Taurus Model 85, 4" barrel, 38 spl.

I have one that must have 1000's of rounds thru it as it is used extensively in our training classes and gets beat to death. Dead solid accurate and would make a fine home defense revolver and not too bad to carry with the right rig and clothing, etc.

Bit more than $300.00 if I recall but not much. Should meet the parameters as laid out.

Bryan

Well....

spend 200 bucks and get them both to a NRA personal protection class.

Then spend another 100 bucks in ammo and have them shoot a bunch of your guns.

Now they have enough training and experience to make their own good decision - and this will do your friends a world of good in terms of making the best choices. Also gives them foundation skills for life in defensive shooting.

That's the best thing a friend can do for them IMO. Give them the foundation for making choices that will fit both of them.

kinda interesting you both have exactly 770 posts each :)

absolutely agree the Taurus 85 is a great recommendation.

Model_85_Taurus.jpg

Name Taken

Ultimate Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    Central
    Save a bit more and look for police trade ins. Saw some Glocks and MP's on a few sites near the 450-550 range.

I personally love the MP's.

Markp

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2008
    Nothing wrong with a .38 spl revolver... although I preferred the .357 S&W mdl 19 to train the wife on, let her fire .38 spl, I fired .357, sometimes she fired both.

parbreak

Ultimate Member
    Feb 18, 2008
    Agreed, my wife has a S&W Model 66 .357 Mag Performance Center, but obviously does not fit the stated budget. She only shoots 38's also.

bbrown

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 10, 2009
    MD
    CZ-82 can be had for under $300 easily.

But they're not made any more, so the availability of spare/replacement parts would be problematic. Can't ship them back to the manufacturer for repair, either.

Other than that, it'd make a really decent CC gun, right up there with the Makarov, IMHO. Well, except for the possibility of snagging on clothing as you draw.

Bryan

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Shive62

Latest threads

Top Bottom