Best 'all purpose' self-defense handgun for $300?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BlueHeeler

Ultimate Member
    Apr 28, 2010
    Washington, DC
    what i was going to say. or a P64. If he has to wait that long to buy something, he should get a C&R too.

A P64 is going to be no fun for a recoil shy shooter. The gun itself is a great CCW option though.

The problem with recoil apprehension is training issue, not a gun issue. I would be hard pressed to expect someone that is afraid of the gun to use it in a self defense situation. Shooting is not about size or strength, it is practice and training.

Last edited:

mikec

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2007
    Off I-83
    Keep his priorities in mind (this will definitely influence your recommendation):

- One 'all purpose' gun, something he can carry concealed, use for home defense, and take to the range. He's not interested in target shooting, IDPA or anything other than self defense.

- Low recoil, as he want's his petite wife to train with him and be confident to use it if necessary when he is away.

Do you or this guy understand that there are women 5' tall who shoot 1911's in competition?? Yjere are also small cops who carry various guns and qualify. Just because she is small doesn't mean she can't handle a "man's gun". Proper training for her is all that she needs.

BTW, if he has a carry permit, and is carrying the handgun, it will not be at home, it should be on his belt. A 12 gauge shotgun is what they need at home. Yes, a petite woman can learn to shoot that as well.

Baccusboy

Teecha, teecha
    Oct 10, 2010
    Seoul
    A 20 gauge is good enough for home defense, and a petite woman would have an easier time with it than a 12.

QuebecoisWolf

Ultimate Member
    May 14, 2008
    Anne Arundel
    At $300, options are going to be very limited, even for used guns. I'd have to go with what others say and recommend a .38 snub from an American manufacturer. Most of the compact autos in this range are iffy, with the exception of Combloc guns. Hi-Points are fugly if underrated, but are going to be a little bulky for summertime carry. If the CCW holder can save a little bit more, the $300-$400 range is a real sweet spot for pistol shopping, with lots and lots of options opening up - including used guns that cost as much as $600 when new.

As for the lady, Cornered Cat is a great resource. One of the author's truisms is that men should never choose a gun for a woman. The woman should choose for herself. I've seen this firsthand when I took my mother skeet shooting at a resort. The instructor gave her a 28 gauge. She couldn't hit a thing with it and got frustrated when the instructor started treating her like a moron.

If she like shooting, the wife will undoubtedly want her own CCW and carry piece as their budget allows. That carry piece will more likely be closer to a service pistol than a teeny weeny revolver made of a metal that ends in "-ium."

hole punch

Paper Target Slayer
    Sep 29, 2008
    Washington Co.
    all good suggestions. i could second the notion to save up a bit more and go for something in the $400 range. maybe a personal loan from a friend/family as numidian said.

Markp

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2008
    All purpose, with CCW as a primary, I would consider the PF-9. It's slim (good for small hands), 9mm is a good common cartridge, and it's a little less brutal on the hands than a LCP. You don't have to start with +P+ rounds, get some lighter custom loads to train up and get used to the recoil.

Mark

bbrown

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 10, 2009
    MD
    All purpose, with CCW as a primary, I would consider the PF-9. It's slim (good for small hands), 9mm is a good common cartridge, and it's a little less brutal on the hands than a LCP. You don't have to start with +P+ rounds, get some lighter custom loads to train up and get used to the recoil.

Mark

Mark, what about the rear sight? Wouldn't it be better for CCW to have something that might be less prone to getting snagged?

Bryan

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    Getting a CCW before any handgun? Kind of like putting the cart before the horse isn't it? ...If the want for home defense is immediate he can probably spend about 40% of his budget on a used shotgun.

He already has a practically antique .32 revolver, and wants a more formable (modern) handgun. He doesn't have an 'urgent' or special need, just stepping up to defend himself and family like the rest of us. Can't conceal a shotgun; in the summer anyway :)

is he in MD?

Yes. Good question.

How close of an associate is he? Why don't you loan him a gun until he can afford something a little nicer? Or loan him the cash if you're not comfortable letting a gun out of your hands.

Excellent point, and I'm willing to do this, or even better loan him some money to buy a better gun, I agree, when it comes to firearms, you get what you pay for (up to a certain point). I'm thinking he may reconsider after reading all these excellent comments; $300 really limits his options.

fivepointstar

Thank you MD-Goodbye
    Apr 28, 2008
    3rd Rock from the Sun
    I don't mean to sound like a jerk, is $300 the price he is putting on the value of his life?? not that more expensive = better quality.

Perhaps a Ruger LCP, LCR or LC9 might be in his price range.

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    What kind on firearms experience does he have ?

I know he's beyond the basics of safety, marksmanship and essential tactics, but I really don't know beyond that. Another good question. But consider his wife's experience...

Do you or this guy understand that there are women 5' tall who shoot 1911's in competition?? Yjere are also small cops who carry various guns and qualify. Just because she is small doesn't mean she can't handle a "man's gun". Proper training for her is all that she needs.

BTW, if he has a carry permit, and is carrying the handgun, it will not be at home, it should be on his belt. A 12 gauge shotgun is what they need at home. Yes, a petite woman can learn to shoot that as well.

Agreed, training is everything. And I think he, like most folks are accepting only a moderate level of training. You guys have me thinking/agreeing, maybe two guns are better than one. Shotgun for the house, and the gun he's essentially asking about (or better if we can convince him) for CCW.

I don't mean to sound like a jerk, is $300 the price he is putting on the value of his life?? not that more expensive = better quality.

Perhaps a Ruger LCP, LCR or LC9 might be in his price range.

Funny you should point that out. I called Mark at 2AS&S and he recommended the same thing, or a decent used gun, as many of you have suggested. I personally don't like the external safety of the LC9, but it looks like some manufacturers have found a way to contend with this dilemma (making the safeties smaller and harder to 'accidentally' activate).

Not fair to ever say what value do you put on your life, if that were the case I think we would all be flying around in F22's. :)

f22-580x810.jpg

smokering

Day Walker
    May 16, 2008
    AA
    He already has a practically antique .32 revolver, and wants a more formable (modern) handgun. He doesn't have an 'urgent' or special need, just stepping up to defend himself and family like the rest of us. Can't conceal a shotgun; in the summer anyway :)

You can if you're this kid. :innocent0

Kman

Blah, blah, blah
    Dec 23, 2010
    Eastern shore
    Ruger p-Series

I have seen them new for under 300 bucks. Built like a tank and reliable as my glock.

next up would be the SW SD series

:thumbsup: Ruger p95 blued $300 shipped from Buds.

Not the smallest thing to carry, but tough, new, great warranty, 9mm ammo.
    The best $300 to spend on a new gun.

A. Wayne

Ultimate Member
    May 28, 2011
    yea 300 bucks does limit the individual- to a whole bunch of decent weapons!! I really wish I had a 4 times that much to buy some really cool stuff, but 300 bucks still can conceil well, goes bang, and makes a hole!

john_bud

Ultimate Member
    Sep 23, 2009
    http://www.southernohiogun.com/pps-43c-pistol.html

SHG-PPS43C.jpg

SOG has them marked down to $289. May print a bit under your shirt, but should give instant respect with the criminal class...

On a more serious note- the advice to wait and get a higher quality more expensive gun is very good. Otherwise he is likely to be selling that first purchase at a loss.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Shive62

Latest threads

Top Bottom