• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Lou45

R.I.P.
    Jun 29, 2010
    Carroll County
    Do not get the Storm. The Maryland State Police were forced to use them, had lots of problems with them, and were glad to get rid of them............
    ..........................................................................................................................................when they transitioned to Glock.

The Storm was designed primarily for BALL ammo and basically not for specialty hollow point type defensive ammo.

The two main mentions in this thread are first Glock and second Smith M&P; you'll find it hard to go wrong with either though my personal preference is Glock Gen 3.

DocSavage

The Man of Bronze
    May 30, 2012
    Crofton
    That's certainly a reason. I prefer to characterize them as less expensive than others. Cheap infers poor quality IMO. They are anything but that. But YMMV. :D

Owning a few of these myself, my wife has taken a shine to hers as well. They are not cheap in quality, rather they are amazingly inexpensive via properly positioning raw materials and the tech to make it all work. This was all laid out in the Glock book.

Swinokur is spot on... They're less expensive than others, and I'll go further to say - they are tanks! They always go bang...no matter what!

Doc

DoubleTap007

Mar 18, 2011
    BelAir, MD
    I can't read 4 pages, but a Beretta 92FS is a very nice gun.

You have to consider the differences between a glock or glove style gun, and say a beretta or beretta style gun.

Hammer fired, verse striker fired. Decockers, safies, etc. Alot is personal choice.

arcticdc5

Mar 20, 2013
    neither. Went with the S&W M&P9. Fit my hand much better than Glock and felt like I had more control. Loved it so much bought the .40 version of the M&P.

threegun

Jan 26, 2013
    Westminster
    I would be curious to know if any of the PX4 naysayers actually have owned one, or if their experiences are hearsay only. Seems like all the pro PX4 posters have or currently own one, and those that say they aren't any good have heard stories from others.

As for the training class experience, I have had similar experiences with new shooters having problems because they either weren't chambering the rounds correctly or were limp wristing on recoil. It didn't seem to matter what brand of pistol they were using at the time. Now if this was occurring with experienced shooters in training, I might be worried it was the firearm rather than the shooter.

I own a PX4 Storm Compact and an XDM 5.25 9mm. The PX4 has problems with Remington UMC ammo. Chambering the first round out of a full mag is a constant problem with the UMC. Does not matter if I pull the slide or use the slide release still a problem. I have also had FTF problems within the mag with UMC. The PX4 does better with Federal and Winchester ammo but, I still get the occasional FTF. The PX4 is fun at the range but I wouldn't stake my life on it. The XDM is a dream, reliable, fast, and accurate. I have never had a failure with the XDM.

tdt91

I will miss you my friend
    Apr 24, 2009
    Abingdon
    They did water it down..... They got their carve out.

Go back and watch what they said during testimony, they said they could not stay here with the way it was written regarding dealers and manufacturers, so an exception was written in allowing them to continue unabated.

Exactly, they only cared about them selves and didn't use thier power to water it down for us peasents.

QM2

Nov 27, 2013
    Maryland
    Again, only way to determine which is best for you... Is to find a way to get both, go to the range, blast a few rounds through them.... And then, you'll know first hand.

omegared24

Ultimate Member
    Dec 23, 2011
    Ijamsville, MD
    Every gun I have rented at the range jammed on a regular basis. That includes Sigs, Glocks, Beretta and Rugers. They simply don't take care of them so it isn't a good way of gauging reliability.

I would choose the Glock 17 3rd Gen. Parts are readily available and it is a proven design.

Ranchero50

Ultimate Member
    Dec 15, 2012
    Hagerstown MD
    The Px4 mags are expensive compared to the Glock or even the M9's.

MY Px4 in 9mm does well and hasn't had any issues running Remington ball ammo.

omegared24

Ultimate Member
    Dec 23, 2011
    Ijamsville, MD
    I guess it really depends on the range. The one I would go to on a regular basis just didn't take care of them at all.

Sent from my XT1056 using Tapatalk

Traveler

Lighten up Francis
    Jan 18, 2013
    AA County
    Both of you shooting the G17 and G19 at the range. I am betting you leave with the G19.

With either one, I hit the bulls-eye again and again. That is the point of a firearm right?

2flhun

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2009
    Mont Co
    Go with the Glock. We are issued PX4-D's. Worst of the bad. Long as$ trigger travel, reset-HA!

My team is switching to Glocks in a month or so, everyone else.

The Beretta gave everyone a good price when they came out, most agencies s-canned them as soon as they could. The only good thing about them when they came out was the adjustable backstraps. No, everyone has them.

AliasNeo07

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2009
    MD
    If its only between those too, then, imo, Glock by far, for reasons likely already stated.

Rack&Roll

R.I.P
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    Bunkerville, MD
    Keep in mind that the PX4 Storm and the Glock are two different operating systems. If you buy the Glock first you will not develop the reflex to throw an external safety. If you buy a PX4 Storm you will have to develop the training reflex to switch off the safety and/or decock it.

If you have one of each in the house on a dark night and something stressful unfolds, you can easily get crossed up...

Dialtone

"Assimilate THIS...."
    Mar 5, 2012
    PG County
    take a look at the XDM 3.8 in 9MM. Got one for my wife a few years ago comparable with the Glock 19 or the M&P 9C. No hiccups thus far.

beretta_maven

Free Thinking Member
    Jan 2, 2014
    SoMD
    I would be curious to know if any of the PX4 naysayers actually have owned one, or if their experiences are hearsay only. Seems like all the pro PX4 posters have or currently own one, and those that say they aren't any good have heard stories from others.

As for the training class experience, I have had similar experiences with new shooters having problems because they either weren't chambering the rounds correctly or were limp wristing on recoil. It didn't seem to matter what brand of pistol they were using at the time. Now if this was occurring with experienced shooters in training, I might be worried it was the firearm rather than the shooter.

Yes, I wonder as well. I own a PX4 Compact (.40) and PX4 Subcompact (9mm) and both have been great guns with no problems. Also have a 92FS, Glock 26 (gen 3) and an M&P 9 Pro among my collection - all have been flawless for me. However, I simply love the smoothness of the Berettas. The rotating barrel on the PX4 Compact really tames the recoil of the .40S&W round.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davidbanner

Latest threads

Top Bottom