• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • johnlax38

NOOB
    Nov 19, 2013
    Crofton, MD
    Looking to purchase my first hand gun. I think I have narrowed my choices down to the Baretta PX4 Storm full/compact or the Glock 17/19. These are all in the same general price range ~500. The main purpose if the gun will be range shooting and home defense.

I am looking at the compact versions only because of my wife like the feel. However I would prefer the full size.

The reason for my post is to get your opinion on either weapon. Good or bad. What is your experience with both or either weapon?

I have fired the Glock 19 and I plan to shoot the PX4 before purchasing.

- mobile

kgain673

I'm sorry for the typos!!
    Dec 18, 2007
    Do not buy the PX storm. Personal experience with jams, malfunctions, and failures to feed. Over 1/3 of my training class had malfunctions with that handgun. With that said the pros are it has a good trigger and is rather accurate and easy to shoot.

CarlosM

Mar 12, 2013
    I don't have any experience with the Beretta but I've shot the G17 and a G22, all Gen 3s. My G22 has about 1000 rounds through it, never an FTE/FTF with whatever the cheapest ammo Walmart has. The G17 has just as reliable. The only FTE/FTFs have been the shooters fault.

vin

Ultimate Member
    Mar 19, 2009
    Bowie, MD
    Don't rule out the M&P, PPQ or XDM unless you've already given them a chance. They are all in that same family of pistols and are better thought of than the beretta.

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    shoot them side by side at a range that rents them and make your own decision.

do look at the price and availability of accessories, such as mags and holsters.

specific for the glock, the width of the gun and distance from trigger guard to backstrap is the same for subcompact, compact and full size, so a little longer and heavier gun (eg the 17 over the 19) might be easier for your wife to shoot plus a little longer sight radius. that said, the 19/23/32 sizes work just fine and a little easier to conceal for carry.

Moon

M-O-O-N, that spells...
    Jan 4, 2013
    In Orbit
    Looking to purchase my first hand gun. I think I have narrowed my choices down to the Baretta PX4 Storm full/compact or the Glock 17/19. These are all in the same general price range ~500. The main purpose if the gun will be range shooting and home defense.

I am looking at the compact versions only because of my wife like the feel. However I would prefer the full size.

The reason for my post is to get your opinion on either weapon. Good or bad. What is your experience with both or either weapon?

I have fired the Glock 19 and I plan to shoot the PX4 before purchasing.

- mobile

You should make sure she tries shooting them too. She might appreciate the way the full size guns help to manage recoil.

Proline Fisher

Mar 16, 2013
    Severn
    I own both and I don't think you can go wrong with either. I would buy whatever one feels the most comfortable for you and your wife. They are two very different guns. The major difference is the trigger. The Beretta is your traditional DA/SA and the Glock is striker fired. The other big difference would be the Beretta has a safety and the Glock does not. If you do decide on the Glock and don't mind waiting a month, you may want to join GSSF. There are a few dealers in Maryland were you can buy Glock blue label guns ( LE Guns) at a discount.

As another poster suggested look at the M&P, I also have one and it is also a great gun.

fd0816

Oct 26, 2012
    Howard County
    I just bought a Gen 4 G19 for my fiance back in the fall and we both like it so much that we fight over who gets to use it lol. Personally even with my big "meat hooks" the gun just fits naturally in my hands. Between the two of us there is probably just over a thousand rounds through it with not one hiccup. Now although I have never personally handled the Beretta PX4 Storm, I have a very close friend that states he loves taking his to the range because it is so comfortable to shoot and accurate. However, he would not use it for personal defense because he has had some reliability issues with it. You really need to just test them both out and see what works best for you and your wife.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    Try all the brands in your price range. I had a friend who was set on the XDM and I told him to try the S & W M&P. He loved it and bought the M&P 9C. Give them all a try. If the Glock still floats your boat, that's great. I own 2 Glocks BTW.

Kbroc2

Jun 1, 2013
    Harford
    Like said before test them at a range and see what's best for you, but storm is at the bottom of my list, my dad and a guy at work i go shooting with have one, I'm not a fan I have an m&p that I love.

Kbroc2

Jun 1, 2013
    Harford
    I own both and I don't think you can go wrong with either. I would buy whatever one feels the most comfortable for you and your wife. They are two very different guns. The major difference is the trigger. The Beretta is your traditional DA/SA and the Glock is striker fired. The other big difference would be the Beretta has a safety and the Glock does not. If you do decide on the Glock and don't mind waiting a month, you may want to join GSSF. There are a few dealers in Maryland were you can buy Glock blue label guns ( LE Guns) at a discount.

As another poster suggested look at the M&P, I also have one and it is also a great gun.

The trigger is your safety. :)

johnlax38

NOOB
    Nov 19, 2013
    Crofton, MD
    Thank you everyone. I will have to put in some more range time with other manufactures mentioned. I think I can rule out the PX4 based on the common reviews here, reliability issues.

- mobile

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    Do not get the Storm. The Maryland State Police were forced to use them, had lots of problems with them, and were glad to get rid of them.

Some women think they would prefer a smaller gun, because smaller looks a bit less intimidating. However smaller guns are more difficult and less pleasant to shoot. The difference between a Glock 17 and a Glock 19 is entirely in the barrel length and grip length anyway: both sizes have the identical terrible ergonomics.

Many people, especially those with smaller hands, find the Glock to be boxy, bulky, and generally a very bad fit for the human hand. There are guns out there with MUCH better ergonomics. Try the S&W M&P, the Springfield XD/ XDM, and the Walther PPQ/PPS before you decide.

I have small hands and oddly short fingers and thumbs. I have trouble getting my finger positioned correctly on the triggers of many guns (especially DA pistols) without twisting the pistol slightly in my hand. It is important to have the barrel in line with the forearm if at all possible. Many people with smaller hands are not physically capable of getting a correct grip on many handguns.

In my experience, the much-ballyhooed "interchangeable backstraps" made fashionable by the S&W M&P, and copied on the Gen 4 Glocks have little or no effect on the problem of trigger reach for shorter fingers. I have two M&Ps, and the different backstraps really don't make any difference as far as trigger reach goes.

I cannot reach the magazine release on a Glock without twisting the gun significantly in my hand. Further, the standard Glock mag release is so flush with the frame that it's even harder to press. The first thing I did when I got a Glock was to put an extended mag release on it. Some people carve out the plastic behind the mag release button for the same reason. That's all you can do with a Glock.

The S&W M&P has a reversible mag release, in addition to MUCH MUCH MUCH better ergonomics overall. I have reversed the mag releases on both my M&Ps so I can drop the mags with my trigger finger. That works for me. The M&P gives me the option. The Glock does not.

The Walthers have true ambidextrous mag releases, I believe. That's even better. Of I were buying today, I would seriously consider the Walthers.

tomandjerry00

Ultimate Member
    Apr 12, 2013
    I went through the same debate as you back in September. I went with the Glock and am very very glad I did.

I've put a lot of rounds through my G17 and love it! Reliable as anything, every aftermarket part imaginable at affordable prices, shoots any ammo I find (except cast bullets with stock barrel), etc.

The grip/ergo's fit me perfectly and I like the longer sight radius of the 17.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Imetthevarmit

Latest threads

Top Bottom