• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    The comparison makes no difference. I make no mention of barrel lengths. The actions are the same unless were discussing vent ribs, sights, and furniture. I did mention features on basic and pplice models (Magazine extension).

Same guns, same controls.

You mentioned finish, which is different on the Police models versus the Express models. And isn't the Mossberg's receiver Aluminum? I don't think that rusts like steel does.

ALBY

Jan 5, 2008
    IMHO, you see more 870's for repair because there are vastly more 870's in the world than 500's. 870's have been produced in greater numbers for far longer. there are more guns, so there is more need for repair.

aquaman

Ultimate Member
    Sep 21, 2008
    Belcamp, MD
    IMHO, you see more 870's for repair because there are vastly more 870's in the world than 500's. 870's have been produced in greater numbers for far longer. there are more guns, so there is more need for repair.

Did you even bother to read the OP? What is your opinion on this really worth? Are you a gunsmith?

Stuff like this makes me wonder why Clandestine even bothers. The OP should be a sticky and thread locked

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD

The ratio is not there to justify that assumption. Is there 5x more 870's in production than mossberg 500/590's? Nope, maybe and I say MAYBE 2/1 but not 5/1. Yes I see 5 times more Remingtons than Mossbergs. Mossbergs are cheaper to repair parts and labor wise too becuase the Mossberg takes LESS time to repair.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Did you even bother to read the OP? What is your opinion on this really worth? Are you a gunsmith?

Stuff like this makes me wonder why Clandestine even bothers. The OP should be a sticky and thread locked

Im backing out after this post. The Mods have decided NOT to sticky it and several of my info threads, so perhaps they agree with the dissenters.

If people want to fan boy the thread up they can. It will wind up getting nuked likely anyway.

I tried to be as factual and experience based as I can when I do these threads.

MikeTF

Ultimate Member
    Im backing out after this post. The Mods have decided NOT to sticky it and several of my info threads, so perhaps they agree with the dissenters.

If people want to fan boy the thread up they can. It will wind up getting nuked likely anyway.

I thought it was an excellent post and that there was some excellent discussion that followed! Thanks for posting!

wlc

Ultimate Member
    Nov 13, 2006
    I went with the Mossberg over the Rem because of the safety location (I am a lefty)
    I went with the 590 over the 500 because of the higher quality parts used & of course the bayonet lug :)

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    You mentioned finish, which is different on the Police models versus the Express models. And isn't the Mossberg's receiver Aluminum? I don't think that rusts like steel does.

You are playing semantics, the point is NEWER production Remington 870's tend to rust unless they are a Camo or Marine Coat.

Yes Mossbergs receiver is aluminum, the rest of the parts are parked on 590 models. an 870P is all steel and parked.

Put a NEW Production parked 870 barrel and a NEW Production parked 590 barrel in a foam case for 2 weeks and see whick one rusts. The 870P will. Now repeat with a blued barrel from each manufacturer and the results will be similar with Mossberg winning. Ive had to send several 870P models back to remington out of the box because they were rusted in the factory box.

I didnt say DONT BUY THE REMINGTON, I said the finish is on newer models is more prone to rust. Many people would like to know these things before buying/deciding. Last ime I checked rusted finishes bother a VAST majority of gun owners and not everyone is up to date on things like Eezox to keep a gun from rusting in a duck blind.

Here I said I was done posting, and Im posting. :sad20:

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    You are playing semantics, the point is NEWER production Remington 870's tend to rust unless they are a Camo or Marine Coat.

Yes Mossbergs receiver is aluminum, the rest of the parts are parked on 590 models. an 870P is all steel and parked.

Put a NEW Production parked 870 barrel and a NEW Production parked 590 barrel in a foam case for 2 weeks and see whick one rusts. The 870P will. Now repeat with a blued barrel from each manufacturer and the results will be similar with Mossberg winning. Ive had to send several 870P models back to remington out of the box because they were rusted in the factory box.

I didnt say DONT BUY THE REMINGTON, I said the finish is on newer models is more prone to rust. Many people would like to know these things before buying/deciding. Last ime I checked rusted finishes bother a VAST majority of gun owners and not everyone is up to date on things like Eezox to keep a gun from rusting in a duck blind.

Here I said I was done posting, and Im posting. :sad20:

Thanks for clearing that up :thumbsup:

haoleboy

1/2 Banned
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 17, 2005
    Dentsville

Or perhaps because this post and others are just not worthy. :innocent0
    The people that think they know everything, are usually the ones that have the most to learn.

Tactics

Ultimate Member
    Jan 15, 2010
    Happy to be Here
    This was a great thread. I've wondered how the 870 stacks up against the 590. My 500 has had more than a thousand rounds put through it and has had 2 FTE's. It is a very smooth gun and I love it, but after the fails it's got me questioning it. Is there a difference in the extractors between 590/500? Any suggestions for my 500?

After firing the 590 and seeing how solid it feels it might be time to pull the trigger!

Redcobra

Senior Shooter
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 10, 2010
    Near the Chesapeake Bay
    I choose Beretta.
    I don't care for pumps.

How about a comparison between the Browning and Beretta O/U lock up mechanisms, or a discussion/comparison about Inertia and Gas operated automatics?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom