• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Had my 870 30yrs and never had to replace any of those. I had a m500 for a few years but the slide rattle drove me crazy. The gun worked fine and I killed plenty of game with it but just couldn't get past that rattle. I sold it and bought the 870 and never looked back. The truth is you should buy the one YOU like and don't worry about what other people think.

I started the thread. I have worked on (As a Gunsmith) more 870's than many gun owners have handled. Mossbergs too.

Neither are bulletproof and if used will eventually need parts. When it happens one is easier to get back into service.

67temp

Jun 25, 2009
    Gettysburg, PA
    Just something to add. I'm up to 7 500's now and 3 of my older ones have an anti-rattle feature. They are a little different than normal when stripping. Instead of sliding the forend off the mag tube, the mag tube needs to be removed in order to pull the forend. The mag tube puts pressure on a spring that puts pressure on the action bars.

august1410

Marcas Registradas
    Apr 10, 2009
    New Bern, NC
    I started the thread. I have worked on (As a Gunsmith) more 870's than many gun owners have handled. Mossbergs too.

Neither are bulletproof and if used will eventually need parts. When it happens one is easier to get back into service.

:thumbsup:

Doesn't get much simpler than this. I've owned both. I have had 4 870s (currently have 2 *Wingmaster and Express*) and I have had 4 500s. (currently have none).

I'd trade the newer 870 to get my 1971 Mossberg 500 back. It would be a nice companion to my 1970 Wingmaster. I don't really like how either of the later model 870s or 500s feel.

Just my two cents. As far as Clandestine's opinion, I can't say I necessarily disagree with it. As a gunsmith, he sees more than I do.

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    Severe field use but not abuse for a couple decades now has me convinced the Mossberg may have the upper hand. I finally had to clean the phragmites out of the safety to ensure it worked again. I seen one mossberg fail with a broken action bar dove hunting but numerous 870 problems including one guy who had a 870 receiver let go in front of me getting a state shooters card at Meade awhile back. However the plastic trigger bow assembly is probably its {500} worst feature in my mind. I got a buttstock hit by a car walking back from a dove hunt when I was a kid with my first M500 and it didnt mess it up that bad that it couldnt be used. Lost that one in Florida and still think about it.

Tracker

Aug 21, 2011
    Anne Arundel County

Can't argue with that. Honestly though I only paid $150 for the M500 and $165 for the 870. I wouldn't get too stressed if either had a failure. Heck I might even bring it to you for repairs. :D

71Chevelle427

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 19, 2015
    B'More County, Maryland
    Picked up my first Remington 870 "Tactical" model # 25077.

This is number 3 for me, as far as shotguns goes.
    Norinco 12ga pump, sold it after 2 weeks
    Savage Stevens 320 "Security" 12 ga. W/pistol grip (Still have)
    And now this one....which feels 100x more smoother action than either of those Chinese ones...:D

Big Thanks once again to JLOWESGUNS.COM for the great prices on anything I buy.:party29:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom