• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BenL

John Galt Speaking.
    I have Troy's, A..R.M.S., Magpul's, and Daniel Defense, and for the BUIS intent, I'd argue Magpul. More durable, lighter weight, and cheaper to boot. Troy's lock open (not good), are comparatively harder to deploy (not spring loaded), and are delicate (I busted an "ear" bumping it against a plywood barricade), but I do like the HK-style front. A.R.M.S. deploy faster but are a little heavier. I'd recommend Magpul's.

niftyvt

Ultimate Member
    Aug 21, 2010
    Virginia
    Ferret, I cant believe I forgot about kac sights. :facepalm: They look awesome for sure.

Since some people missed this, I will quote the section of the article that specifies the rifle used, the rifle weight, the height of the drop, the orientation of the rifle and the surface on which the rifle was dropped.

"In order to test whether certain popular BUIS would still be serviceable after taking a hard hit, I attached three different types of BUIS - Troy Industries, Magpul Industries and Diamondhead USA - to an AR-15 rifle chambered in .300 AAC Blackout weighing 7 pounds and dropped the rifle upside down from a height of 5 feet onto a concrete surface." Andrew Tuohy

He just did this as a quick test, you cant get all that scientific with a drop test anyways. Well. . . I guess he could of built a jig to hold and release the rifle, put a pressure sensor on the ground to measure the impact, put a couple accelerometers on the rifle, and used high speed video . . .but all that costs money (lots). Feel free to give it a go yourself if you think you can do better and make sure to document and post the results. Also, there are so many different ways to drop a rifle (infinite) that you cannot test them all. This is a single data point. Some tests may break certain sights while others might not.

If anyone finds any other documented sight drop/torture tests post them up.

About the blogger, if you read his 'About' section on his blog (well not today bec he has a April 1 thing going on lol) he mostly served as a turret gunner on various vehicles if I recall correctly. The guy has been blogging about firearms for quite a while and the Lucky Gunner thing is rather recent. He has done many objective well documented tests including the famous steel vs brass case 30k round test (ammo courtesy of Lucky Gunner) and more recently a thorough test on a variety of muzzle devices.

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    Ditto, the Matech is the best rear sight I have tried. Also it is the current rear sight used by the USA and developed jointly with the Picatinny Arsenal. I combined that with a YHM gasblock w/flip up sight and installed a KNS crosshair post in the front. Then added a red dot to co-witness.

kfrede86

Ultimate Member
    Feb 22, 2010
    St. Marys
    Has anyone tried the ARMS #40L? I'm looking for some buis with a budget of roughly 200. I currently have troys but would like to give another co a shot.

kfrede86

Ultimate Member
    Feb 22, 2010
    St. Marys
    I have a 40L and it's nice.

Worth the money? These will be mounted under a 1-4x optic so clearance is a concern. Troys fit under it just fine but I put them back on my other rifle. Not sure if magpuls would fit and don't know of too many other companies. KAC is out of my price range.

TxAggie

Ultimate Member
    Feb 25, 2012
    Anne Arundel County, MD
    I just got the Troy Dioptic (diamond shaped), and so far I REALLY like it. I'm thinking of mating it with KNS hooded front. I'm not sure how they'll pair up, but we'll see. One caveat: I have the fixed sight as opposed to the flip up as this is on an iron optic only rifle.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Comotion357

Latest threads

Top Bottom