Nos nostraque Deo
    Dec 6, 2010
    MATECH...

matech.jpg

aropticsetup6lh.jpg

booker

Apr 5, 2008
    Baltimore
    Troy makes the best I've ever seen or used. They lock up instead of down, which just makes sense. Tough, standard adjustment, and anybody familiar with A2 sights instantly knows how to use them, be it setting zero or determining holdovers.

Also recommend Aimpoint Pro with the LaRue QD mount for your red dot.

armed ferret

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 23, 2008
    McDoogal's
    They lock up instead of down, which just makes sense.

Until you drop your rifle and break the sights because they didn't have any "give" when they hit the ground.

Locking in the open position is just asking for a broken sight. Thus, no. Locking up instead of down doesn't "just make sense". The inverse, I'm afraid, is actually true. ;)

armed ferret

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 23, 2008
    McDoogal's
    Obviously based on personal experience shooting from a bench at a flat and level range no doubt....

You're welcome to disagree all you want. Doesn't make you any less wrong.

niftyvt

Ultimate Member
    Aug 21, 2010
    Virginia
    Obviously based on personal experience shooting from a bench at a flat and level range no doubt....

You're welcome to disagree all you want. Doesn't make you any less wrong.

Ferret, do know of a metal front sight that doesnt lock in the open position? I only have experience with the plastic magpuls and the 1 troy front (gets cooked from my break) that I have. I want to replace the troy with something else. I was thinking of the new magpul pro but I cant tell from the product description if it locks open or if they are similar to the plastic mbus.

Gambler

¿Got Freedom?
    Oct 30, 2011
    Parkville
    Until you drop your rifle and break the sights because they didn't have any "give" when they hit the ground.

Locking in the open position is just asking for a broken sight. Thus, no. Locking up instead of down doesn't "just make sense". The inverse, I'm afraid, is actually true. ;)

For BACK UP sights, I'd prefer them to lock up, so when I need to quickly deploy them when my main optic fails, I don't have to futz with any kind of lock to get them up. Flip Flip Bang.

armed ferret

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 23, 2008
    McDoogal's
    Nifty, the KAC unit used on the mk12 is hard to beat.

Gambler, I think you're misunderstanding what is being discussed. Play with a MATECH rear. That's a sight that doesn't lock in the up position, it uses spring pressure to keep it open. A detent is all that need be overcome to open it. No futzing. Simple, effective, and nothing breaks off because it has no give if you drop the gun.

Of course if all you do is sit at a bench like one alleged expert, then none of that applies.

Gambler

¿Got Freedom?
    Oct 30, 2011
    Parkville
    Nifty, the KAC unit used on the mk12 is hard to beat.

Gambler, I think you're misunderstanding what is being discussed. Play with a MATECH rear. That's a sight that doesn't lock in the up position, it uses spring pressure to keep it open. A detent is all that need be overcome to open it. No futzing. Simple, effective, and nothing breaks off because it has no give if you drop the gun.

Of course if all you do is sit at a bench like one alleged expert, then none of that applies.

Gotcha, thanks.

SCARCQB

Get Opp my rawn, Plick!
    Jun 25, 2008
    Undisclosed location
    I have just ordered a set of dueck defense offset sights. This is a good short range sight for scoped rifles( magnified). Since they are always deployed, there is nothing else to worry about other than just instinctively canting the gun to shoot gangsta style.

For folding BUIS. Partial to matech and ARMs sights.

kfrede86

Ultimate Member
    Feb 22, 2010
    St. Marys
    My only gripe with the MATECH is the small aperture. Makes it difficult to shoot with both eyes open at close ranges, for me at least. I might try some magpuls but don't know if they'll fit under the scope mount. Need to do some investigating.

Bountied

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2012
    Pasadena
    I have the MI SPLP with an MI folding front sight tower. I really like the low profile rear, it works really well if you want to scope your rifle and get the scope lower to the bore axis. They both lock up though and I could see where that could cause a problem if dropped. Fortunately I never drop my rifle, knock on wood.

booker

Apr 5, 2008
    Baltimore
    I prefer the aperture of the LWRCs, but (as painful as it is) I agree w/ Ferret; locking in the UP position is a bad thing. :)

Here is a cheesy test showing why you don't want them to lock in the "up" position...

http://kitup.military.com/2012/07/back-up-iron-sight-drop-test.html

You got it right about the cheese; how was it dropped, from what height, what angle, any methodology or was this just man with hammer? Consider the source, the author was a hospital corpsman and is the "firearms guru" at LuckyGunner. Not exactly an expert in test, evaluation or methodology.

Ask yourself, what position are fixed front sight bases in?

sailskidrive

Legalize the Constitution
    Oct 16, 2011
    Route 27
    You got it right about the cheese. Consider the source, the author was a hospital corpsman and is the "firearms guru" at LuckyGunner.

Ask yourself, what position are fixed front sight bases in?

Well the fixed sight blocks are cast steel, not a combination aluminum and steel with a mechanical joint.

I don't know what his time in the Navy have to do with it. Corpsman can fill many roles from SEAL to Dental Hygienist, however it is immaterial to the test. The dude dropped a few ARs on their heads and posted the results. It probably wan't the most scientific test but we can all judge the results for ourselves.

...if it's any consolation, I can't stand the Ma-Tech.

booker

Apr 5, 2008
    Baltimore
    I don't know what his time in the Navy have to do with it. Corpsman can fill many roles from SEAL to Dental Hygienist, however it is immaterial to the test. The dude dropped a few ARs on their heads and posted the results. It probably wan't the most scientific test but we can all judge the results for ourselves.

My point was that being an 11B, a medic, a SEAL or a Ranger doesn't make one qualified to scientifically test equipment and report on it. Those folks can speak from their operational experience, which is valuable, however he is not speaking from his experience (whatever it may be) in the article.

A minor change to the angle, height of drop, or total platform weight may drastically change results he observed. Did he use a lightweight unloaded M4 or an 18" SDR with a UBR, bipod and 30rnds of M855? Optic or not? PEQ-15?

Could it be that adding those 3+ pounds of common mission equipment weight to the rifle would snap the Magpul off, whereas the aluminum sights would stay firm? Or would the springs fly out of the metal sights and the Magpul would flip back nice and easy? We don't know, because he said nothing about methodology. What's more likley, being struck when dropped or when going around corners in an urban environment? What about during vehicle ingress/egress? Is side-impact most likely, or frontal? What happens when the respective materials are exposed to extreme cold, extreme hot, extended sunlight exposure, or maybe salt water and POL or other chemicals? This is why requirements and specifications are so important when the government procures equipment. We can learn from those experiences.

It's nice to read little articles and anecdotes to support one's personal purchase decisions, but if we're being honest, there is a lot more to the art and science of testing kit than throwing shit around at the range. And for someone to claim that this "one thing" is the best there will ever be, for all applications, is simply foolish.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Jtlambo

Latest threads

Top Bottom