• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    So true wilcam47! So true!! Ppl have no clue that simple fluid changes in a vehicle can increase its odds to hit the 300,000 mile mark. Not only that but it seems ppl have this mindset that a car is junk after 100k. Cars are lasting longer. I have a 2001 zx2 daily driver and that baby has 181,000 miles and hasn't missed a beat. Synthetic oils, synthetic tranny fluid, spark plugs, wires, coil packs, and coolant replacement every two years makes all the difference. Fix things when the check engine light comes on as well. Ignoring it only sets off more sensors. I will never forget one guy had a with a Ford Windstar van came in on a Saturday like two years ago. He told me he drove the vehicle with the engine light on for a year. I scanned the computer and boom, 34 codes. One issue alarmed the other codes. As stated, that light pops on get the car fixed. This is why buying a used car is so damn risky.

wow...most codes Ive seen so far are 15...most were repeats but the cadillac was just out of the shop for "engine" work/recall and it was running like crap again. I told the couple they needed to take it BACK to the shop and get it fixed right...because obvioulsy the recall work they did...did not work:sad20:

what sucks is I have an ABS light on my truck and Autozone doesnt have the parts...and online the cheapest I found is 119 for one of two sensors!:sad20::sad20:

PapiBarcelona

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2011
    How are most people with inquring for parts at your store? All these chain shops I find myself waiting while the only 2 guys look up parts for someone who isn't sure what it is they need.

I'm different I guess, since its 2012 and all these stores have extensive websites now it isn't too hard to look up the part yourself and take it to the store of that's what o want to do, usually ordering from the internet is just as good if not better, quality of part wise.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    :sad20: I hate the look of those smart cars....like a retarded rollerskate:lol2:

They're retarded in a number of ways, just look for the IIHS crash-test videos. ;)

That and 36 mpg on PREMIUM?!?! Are you kidding me? :tdown:

I won't even get going on seeing them on the highway, they weren't designed to be run on highways, they were meant for city use...

Stopping myself before I get an epic rant going... :D

cjl7

Apr 2, 2012
    I have worked part time on weekends only for this company for 4 years. I can assure you that DYI America in the automotive department seem to take short cuts in the work they perform to their cars just to keep them running another day. The best part is you see the same ppl week in week out. Its like they drive junk that constantly needs fixed then they are like this Ford, Chevy, Dodge foreign job are shit. No it's not the car. It's the fact you wrench on your car and are too damn cheap to take it to a reputable shop/mechanic to get resolved. These same ppl can't do the math that by the time you spend 300.00 bucks in guess work, you could have more than likely had it fixed in the first place for 100 bucks cheaper. Please note this is just an example but i am sure you guys get what i am saying. Thanks for your time!!

They may be throwing parts, but in the long run they're learning and going to save themselves a lot of money once they know how to do the jobs. I would encourage everyone to throw their own parts at a car rather than let a dealership or mechanic do it for them (thats about all they do anyway). Ive been throwing parts at my cars since I was 15, and now that I've learned, there is no job I won't do, including full engine rebuilds. So I probably wasted a little when I was fifteen by throwing parts around, but, now that I know, I've saved thousands!

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    How are most people with inquring for parts at your store? All these chain shops I find myself waiting while the only 2 guys look up parts for someone who isn't sure what it is they need.

I'm different I guess, since its 2012 and all these stores have extensive websites now it isn't too hard to look up the part yourself and take it to the store of that's what o want to do, usually ordering from the internet is just as good if not better, quality of part wise.

I see it a lot...I spent over half an hour with a dude because he wasnt sure if he wanted the Timken hub assy or the Autozone brand the Timken we had to special order the other was sitting right there...:sad20: half the people coming in prob dont know autozone has a website...:sad20: or that you can prob get stuff cheaper on the net somewhere....I guess its mostly tailored for the "I need it now" crowd. Somethings you do need...like a battery or perhaps starter or alternator...Ive needed a battery before as I got it tested at another Autozone and it died right there in the parking lot...not much you can do other than buy another battery lol

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    They may be throwing parts, but in the long run they're learning and going to save themselves a lot of money once they know how to do the jobs. I would encourage everyone to throw their own parts at a car rather than let a dealership or mechanic do it for them (thats about all they do anyway). Ive been throwing parts at my cars since I was 15, and now that I've learned, there is no job I won't do, including full engine rebuilds. So I probably wasted a little when I was fifteen by throwing parts around, but, now that I know, I've saved thousands!

:thumbsup: I guess I take stuff for granted as well...the ineptness of people that cant change a battery is amazing yet sad at the same time...

oldsarge

Old & Crusty
    Jan 14, 2009
    Calvert County
    I was prob there..I left for lunch at 1200 and am off today...I'm the short hispanic looking guy:lol2::D I'll be there Sat for sure..

I think I saw you there. In fact you asked me if it was Wednesday. I was the older grey haired guy. I didn't get in there today for my stuff. I'll probably try to swing by on Saturday.

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    I think I saw you there. In fact you asked me if it was Wednesday. I was the older grey haired guy. I didn't get in there today for my stuff. I'll probably try to swing by on Saturday.

Did I help you? I see so many people its hard to remember everyone...sorry..I'll be there at 0800 to 5pm...off an hour around 11 or 12 for lunch!

GUNMANSUPERSTAR

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 10, 2012
    wilcam47 and everyone else, i do not promote the duralast hub bearings period. i saw one come off of a customers car in one week of use. if you care about your life, buy the timkens!! just some fyi for you do it yourselfers!! oh and to papi, i will be honest i buy a good deal of my parts online through advances website. they have coupon codes that blow my autozone store discount away big time. a little tip for you guys- rotors: napa or raybestos, spark plugs: factory plugs only, wires: msd or factory, coil packs: touch and go auto zone or advance are not bad but for optimum performance go msd or factory, rear drums: where ever, shoes; napa, front pads or rear pads: raybestos. i can tell you this i have worked for auto zone 4 yrs this month. guess how many duralast parts on my 2001 zx2 with 181500 miles? can you say goose-egg (0)!!! that's just about all i got to say about that!!

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    wilcam47 and everyone else, i do not promote the duralast hub bearings period. i saw one come off of a customers car in one week of use. if you care about your life, buy the timkens!! just some fyi for you do it yourselfers!!

I try to tell people but lots of time they want to be cheap...:sad20: Ive seen a few go out the door last couple days...I'll see if they come back in by Aug...lol

PapiBarcelona

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2011
    I buy most of my replacement parts online too regardless of size or weight, I'll eat shipping cost. I just figure out which brand is working best for whatever needs replaced and go from there. I did have Advanced Auto order me some things that would otherwise take Big Brown a week to get to my door, usually a time frame thing involved with me, and depending on the type of part being replaced.

I gotta admit as far as a nationwide chains go I like Advanced Auto for degreaser, brake kleen, consumables. That's all I really buy at auto part stores anymore.

NAPA is OK. I like Autozone the least.

I buy oil, grease, filters, and some other things from Amsoil directly, and transmission fluid I usually use whatever from whatever parts store I go to, in my opinion all trans fluid is the same to me it's such a high detergent it really doesn't matter brand. I usually get coolant from the dealership.

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    I buy most of my replacement parts online too regardless of size or weight, I'll eat shipping cost. I just figure out which brand is working best for whatever needs replaced and go from there. I did have Advanced Auto order me some things that would otherwise take Big Brown a week to get to my door, usually a time frame thing involved with me, and depending on the type of part being replaced.

I gotta admit as far as a nationwide chains go I like Advanced Auto for degreaser, brake kleen, consumables. That's all I really buy at auto part stores anymore.

NAPA is OK. I like Autozone the least.

I buy oil, grease, filters, and some other things from Amsoil directly, and transmission fluid I usually use whatever from whatever parts store I go to, all trans fluid is the same to me it's such a high detergent it really doesn't matter brand.

I guess Ive had better experiences at auto zone..even before working at the zone...I prefered it over the others...

PapiBarcelona

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2011
    Nothing really bad, just the dozen times or so I've been in a few there always seems to be a line of people trying to get a parts guy to tell them what they need to do with a part they don't know they need. LOL

Kinda an instant gratification, cash in hand, few gallons of degreaser in the other, ring me up and get me out of here.

GUNMANSUPERSTAR

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 10, 2012
    I have to be the first to admit i hate pushing our item of the day on ppl. How the hell are they to buy fuel injection cleaners we push when most are scraping to buy the car part in their hands. it pisses me off harassing the customers like that. You dont see them pulling that shit at Napa or Advance. Worst part of working at Auto Zone in my opinion hands down!!

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    I have to be the first to admit i hate pushing our item of the day on ppl. How the hell are they to buy fuel injection cleaners we push when most are scraping to buy the car part in their hands. it pisses me off harassing the customers like that. You dont see them pulling that shit at Napa or Advance. Worst part of working at Auto Zone in my opinion hands down!!

yep agreed...one day we had the DM in, I already talked to a customer buying brake pads and was politely asking if he had brake fluid, brake cleaner etc...not trying to get a "sale" but just stuff needed to change the brakes...he said he had a shop and had all the stuff needed...well the DM didnt hear any of this and after I rung out the customer he asked if I asked the customer about the "brake kit"...I told the DM he had a shop and didnt need it so why ask...I didnt get any answer from the DM...:lol2:

PapiBarcelona

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2011
    That blows, I didn't think Auto stores were like that.

You always hear about chain oil change shops trying to push extra services to sell a certain target amount per customer.

Maryland Hunter

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2008
    Biggest problem I have with Autozone is their insistance that they need my name, address, phone number, fingerprints, DNA, urine sample, etc whenever I buy a part there. "It's for the warranty" they say. No it's not, it's for marketing, which I don't want to be a part of. My receipt should be ample proof of purchase should the need for the warranty arises. I once even told them that I would do without the warranty. Nope they said, and wouldn't sell me the part I needed, without my personal info. Bye bye.

I've used Advanced ever since.

MH

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Biggest problem I have with Autozone is their insistance that they need my name, address, phone number, fingerprints, DNA, urine sample, etc whenever I buy a part there. "It's for the warranty" they say. No it's not, it's for marketing, which I don't want to be a part of. My receipt should be ample proof of purchase should the need for the warranty arises. I once even told them that I would do without the warranty. Nope they said, and wouldn't sell me the part I needed, without my personal info. Bye bye.

I've used Advanced ever since.

MH

Pay cash and lie. I do it all the time. The only people who ever get my real name and SSN are my bank and my job.

Maryland Hunter

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2008
    Pay cash and lie. I do it all the time. The only people who ever get my real name and SSN are my bank and my job.

That's what I usually do. ;)

Thing that really pissed me off was them being so pushy about it. Plus, I shouldn't have to be put in a position to lie in the first place.

MH

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom